Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 cable modem router keeps having me set a new password

CaptainDuke
Aspirant

N300 cable modem router keeps having me set a new password

My model C3000 modem router keeps taking me through a password recovery, and multiple times after entering a new password and setting new security questions and then the serial number, it then tells me my account has been recovered. Then its asks me to Login. I click Login and it takes me right back to the very first page where I create a new password. I have gone through this 4 times with the same results. It’s ridiculous. I haven’t had internet all day and my internet provider says theres no signal. I’m not a techie. I’m so lost. Help!
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: N300 cable modem router keeps having me set a new password

Have you factory reset it back to defaults? 

That'd allow you to use the default login so you can go through the factory setup process and make your own password. 

Message 2 of 7
CaptainDuke
Aspirant

Hi, yes I have factory reset it about six times now. I’m so confused. After it has me create a new password and security questions, and then has me answer those security questions, it then has me put in the serial number. I enter that and it says congratulations you have reset your account/password. At the bottom there is a purple square that says exit and a green square that says login. I click login and it literally takes me right back to that very first factory reset page. It’s ridiculous. I have done this over and over. And if I just click the purple exit button nothing happens. How come when I click login it doesn’t take me to a page asking me for a username and password? It just takes me right back to that original page where I reset everything again. Any insight would be so appreciated, this is maddening
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

are you meeting the minimum requirements on the password? 

1 Upper Case

1 Lower Case

1 Number

1 Special Character

Message 4 of 7
CaptainDuke
Aspirant

I didn’t have each of those characters in the password I created. But what’s interesting is that it congratulates me on resetting my password and then asks me to login. When I click login, this quickly flashes across the top of the screen and disappears: “HTTP 401 Unauthorized authorization is required to access the configuration server. You must correctly answer the username and/or password.” So when I click login it’s not even giving me a chance to enter a username or password. That statement just flashes across the top of the screen quickly and then it brings me right back to the factory reset part where it’s asking for my serial number.
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Reset it and when you're doing the install, make sure to meet those password requirements

Message 6 of 7
CaptainDuke
Aspirant

I did try to process all over again using a password with all of those required characters and it just did the same thing again. And when I call Netgear support they told me they can’t help me until I pay them $89 for a new six month warranty. Which just sounds ridiculous to me
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7