Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N450 CG3000Dv2 Unable to access USB ports

McDoug
Guide

N450 CG3000Dv2 Unable to access USB ports

This is a repost as I have not been able to resolve this and Netgear refuses to help.

I installed the N450 Cable Modem in-order to have access to an "external" USB hard drive to serve as a Backup drive for all the computers in my home. This hard drive is a standard drive in an external (USB) hard drive case.  All worked well for awhile ( I guess about 6 - 7 months). During that time I added a second USB drive to the N450 and all was well. One day I noticed that the drives were not accessible and using Netgenie access the modem and "readyshare" indicated that no drives were present. I checked the drives on another computer and they work properly I then and tried a thumb drive in the modem and tried a thumb drive in the modem and again readyshare indicated that there was nothing there. 

So I contacted Netgear and was told that because I was about a month out of warranty no one would even give me a hint as to the problem unless I paid for a service contract. 

I can log into the modem and see all the devices on my network  (minus the usb drives connected to the N450) and if I select readyshare (basic) I get mixed results, sometimes I will get a message saying the modem does not support readyshare, sometimes it will show a drive connected when there isn't and sometimes it will show a drive but says it cannot connect to it.  I've checked to see if I have the latest firmware and it indicates I do.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Regards

Model: N450 (CG3000Dv2)|N450 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 18
bugmenot2
Apprentice

Same exact problem. Until recently USB storage has been working fine (other than the perpetual issue on every Netgear model of being very slow) but suddenly it won't recognize ANY of the flash drives that always worked before nor any others I've tried. Yet all of them work properly on a PC. I've tried multiple reboots of the router and even a full reset back to factory defaults. Nothing has resolved the problem. Therefore, it seems likely a new firmware was pushed to the unit that has caused the issue - mine is now on version 3.01.16 and I'm fairly sure the last time I logged into the router prior to this problem it was on 3.01.14.

I haven't contacted Netgear yet because I wanted to search online for a solution first. However, like you, my CG3000Dv2 is just slightly over 1 year old. Nevertheless, I find it unacceptable that Netgear refuses to even look into the problem considering this is still a product being currently sold at retail and advertised as providing USB network storage functionality. Therefore, if Netgear is going to ignore that fact and refuse to address the problem, then I find it perfectly acceptable to have me and my family members (and a couple friends who bought this router on my recommendation) to all start buying multiple brand new ones repeatedly from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc. and returning them as defective when their USB network storage doesn't work and writing corresponding negative reviews as well. I would suggest others do the same. Maybe when Netgear starts getting back hundreds of these as defective returns, they will finally demonstrate some customer service and assist with resolving the problem. It's sad it must come to this since I've been a loyal Netgear customer for over 2 decades (having personally owned several different Netgear switches/routers/etc and recommending even more to friends and family over the years) but if they are unwilling to return that loyalty then I have no reason to continue offering it.

Message 2 of 18
bugmenot123123
Initiate

Happy I found this thread and learned its not just me with this problem. Been going crazy trying to fix this: trying a bunch of flash drives which all worked everywhere else, unplugging the router, reseting it using the insanely tiny button on the back BUT nothing worked. And now google leads me here. Good to learn its not only me but very bad to learn netgear won't do anything to help. At least mine is within the return window so back it goes. Will buy a different brand instead and post a review of this one to warn others. Good luck to you guys that are stuck with yours!!!

Message 3 of 18
McDoug
Guide

Mine is within the return/replace window also but so far Netgear has refused to respond to my online request for warranty replacement,

Message 4 of 18
Arlop
Aspirant

Did no one ever receive a fix for this??? I am also having this problem with the CG3000Dv2 in my USA condo hooked up to Spectrum cable. USB previously functioned and now does not. Have reboot router, have tested 4 USB flash drives that all function properly with a PC but nothing works on either front or back USB plug. I read reviews on the Amazon page where I bought the CG3000Dv2 and find it suspicious that a Netgear employee comments on all the other reviews with problems but not to any of the reviews telling about this problem. And Spectrum is no help because they always say they do not make the router or the firmware and any adjustments they make only involve the modem functions, not the router or other functions. This makes sense to me. Which is why it is very bad business for Netgear to ignore this problem. I will check my router and here again in a few weeks and if I still see no signs of Netgear helping its customers then it is the last time I will ever be one!!!

Message 5 of 18
McDoug
Guide

Sadly I have not been able to resolve the issue and have had a IT friend look at it and he is unable to resolve the issue.

I don't understand why Netgear refuses to contact or comment on this issue. 

I guess it's all about the money.

Message 6 of 18
ahalmay
Aspirant

My firmware is 3.0.14 and I have the same problem.  I don't think it is the FW.  I think it is Windows 10 and their new upgrade.

Message 7 of 18
ChadOK
Aspirant

Me too,  but I'm trying to access FTP with no success.

Message 8 of 18
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am not sure if you guys are aware but Microsoft dropped support for SMBv1 in latest Win 10 Fall Creators Update so if your ReadySHARE implantation is using SMBv1 you will have issues with accessing your drives. Netgear has a FW update coming for the N450 that will fix this issue. Your ISP will push the update when it became available as each cable FW has to be certified/approved by ISP before the ISP will push it out. This issue is will occur on all devices that do not have SMBv2/SMBv3 support not just Netgear N450 device.

Message 9 of 18
ahalmay
Aspirant

I JUST found that out.  I would have been nice for registered users of the products to have been notified.  There is a workaround, supposedly.  I have a US Robotics adapter on order so I can use an ethernet to USB to effect an NAS

Message 10 of 18
McDoug
Guide

This is the first I've heard of this and believe me I am glad and yes it would have been nice (and good business practice) for Netgear to let us know ...  but that would have meant acknowledging to the public that they knew about this and still refused to talk to the registered users. 

Message 11 of 18
McDoug
Guide

Funny thing, just recieved an email from Netgear advising me to update my formware. I figured Hot Damn, finally someone from Ripoff Netgear is going to help me. So, I dutifully followed the instructions after digging the damn thing from the trash, and logged in, went to the advanced tab as instructed and opened the admin tab. Stupid me spent 30 minutes looking for the "Firmware or Router" update button. GUESS WHAT it dosen't exist!

I can still ping the readyshare usb port and it shows it being there but when I open the ready share tab, nah ahh, no body there. 

piece of crap and netgear can't be trusted! 

Message 12 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] spent 30 minutes looking for the "Firmware or Router" update
> button. GUESS WHAT it dosen't exist! [...]

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1490471
      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1491008

Message 13 of 18
ahalmay
Aspirant

I was told that the internet provider provides the firmware and releases it after it's tested.  I found a workaround.  I have turned my USB HD into a NAS with a US Robotics 8710 .  It allows me to go from ethernet to USB .  The converter costs less than $50

Message 14 of 18
bugmenot2
Apprentice

@ErnestTheGreatwrote:

I am not sure if you guys are aware but Microsoft dropped support for SMBv1 in latest Win 10 Fall Creators Update so if your ReadySHARE implantation is using SMBv1 you will have issues with accessing your drives. Netgear has a FW update coming for the N450 that will fix this issue. Your ISP will push the update when it became available as each cable FW has to be certified/approved by ISP before the ISP will push it out. This issue is will occur on all devices that do not have SMBv2/SMBv3 support not just Netgear N450 device.

not a bad a troubleshooting guess BUT this problem cropped up before the Falls Creators Update... i can personally confirm two build 1703 machines (i.e. pre-1709 FCU) which lost their ability to access previously functioning readyshare usb ports on the CG3000Dv2. so it was definitely something else which caused the problem. hopefully when somebody gets this new firmware on their CG3000Dv2 they can post here and confirm if it solved the problem.

[p.s. just to clarify, even once you upgrade to Fall Creators Update, for most people (e.g. Home and Professional editions) SMBv1 will only be disabled if your machine doesn't use it for more than 15 days (which does NOT include time when the machine's off) and even if it did get auto-disabled, you can re-enable it, at which point it will never auto-disable again.]

Message 15 of 18
ahalmay
Aspirant

I passed the fw info on to Cox cable.  Let's see if they do anything with it

Message 16 of 18
McDoug
Guide

I finally have resolved the issue, so simple I'm embarrassed it took me so long. I took it to Staples and had them add it to thier recycling bin then bought a Motorola MB7420 Cable modem and Google mesh wifi added a networked "mini" pc to back up to. Works flawlessly, next update will be to set up the mini to wake on lan.
Message 17 of 18
ahalmay
Aspirant

Actually, my work around was to buy a US Robotics  uShare Mini NAS Adapter.  Ethernet to USB.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7