Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N450 WiFi keeps disconnecting

Vivienne
Follower

N450 WiFi keeps disconnecting

Hello,

So I bought my Netgear N450 WiFi cable modem router on April 30, 2015 and in the past month I've been having WiFi connection problems. The internet works just fine, but for some reason the WiFi keeps disconnecting to any devices relying on it such as cell phones, ipads, roku etc. There will be times when I'll search for the WiFi network, and ours won't even show up. I've pretty much had to reset the router everyday and it just seems to be getting worse. 

I've tried contacting Netgear but because my item is over 90 days, they pretty much said google it and hope you find the answer. I've tried contacting squaretrade, where I got my warrenty, and they just took me back to Netgear. 

If anyone has had this problem, what did you do to fix it? It would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 72
TeacherLady
Aspirant

I just hooked mine up, and Comcast shows it's working fine. But it keeps kicking us off wireless. Anyone have a fix for this??

Message 2 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you guys tried changing the wireless channel something could be causing interference with the signal such as neighbors routers, home appliances, or cordless phones.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 72
TeacherLady
Aspirant

I tried EVERYTHING. I finally got the NetGear tech to throw up his hands and say the unit might be malfunctioning. Took it back to the store this morning, got a different NetGear model, and hooked it up with no problems! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 72
jacwa01
Aspirant

I too am having the same problem: my laptop (Windows 8.1), and my daughter's Macbook and Apple TV experience loss of access to our home network at various times of day. I am forced to turn Wireless off/on, forget the network, and/or run troubleshooting diagnostics.

NETGEAR support had me change Channel from 1 to 11, and things seemed to work for a while, but now the disconnects are back. I have gone to the admin site and  checked the power levels and signal-to-noise ratio  for upstream/downstream power and they appear to be well within spec.

Anybody have any new ideas??

Message 5 of 72
amitshah28
Aspirant

I have the same issue...on the hardwire the N450 works super fast but on wireless its super slow ..had comacast guys check for 3 hrs all connection , software etc..from their end the signal is good ..looks like an issue to n450 for wireless connection on comcast 

Message 6 of 72
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @amitshah28,

1. Does the issue happen on all of your devices?

2. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

3. Does the issue happen whether the devices are close or far from the N450?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 72
amitshah28
Aspirant

its happens across devices , tried with multiple channels but not much luck. ir-respective of location the problem exist. when i hardwire get super speed  but on wireless its bad..looks like need to change the router itself

Message 8 of 72
winglander
Aspirant

I have this issue but only with one single item: my wife's Dell tablet.  The issue is specific to her tablet and this router and I can tether to my cell and everything works great.  I have alos taken to other WiFi connections and it works perfectly fine.  No other item in the house seems to have this issue either.  Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

winglander 

Have you tried to tell the tablet to forget the network and reconnect could be some bad saved settings in the tablet for that network. You may also want to do Ip address reservation for the tablets mac and ip address as the issue could be a IP conflict. You will find this setting in the router under LAN ip then  fill in the mac and ip address then click add under DHCP Reservation Lease.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

I bought my N450 at the end of November, 2015 and now (after the 90 day period, of course) it has started having wifi disconnects.  The hard-wired connection is solid as a rock, but the wifi just occasionally quits to all devices (Android and Mac), near and far, until I reboot the modem/router.  This is happening about every third day.  My firmware is the current one for Comcast (3.01.06).

Message 11 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

Additional info on the above post:  I had selected "Auto" for the channel in this single band modem/router.  It connects on Channel 1.  I installed a wifi analyzer on my android phone and found that, indeed, channel 1 has the best availability. Can I get a replacement for this device?

Message 12 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello craigwf

Have you tried to do a factory reset and see if the wifi is still dropping out?

DarrenM

Message 13 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

Have not done a factory reset as the significant number of users with the same problem with CG3000DV2 who have done that say it didn't change anything.  Interestingly, yesterday when the wifi was "down", I checked with my android wifi analyzer app and found the wifi signal was still up and strong, however no one could connect to it until I rebooted the router.  It appears there is nothing wrong with the hardware generating the wifi signal, but rather a software issue as the router will occasionally disconnect all wifi devices and not allow them to reconnect until it has been rebooted.

Message 14 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

In case anybody is following this thread because they are having the same issue, I have now gone through Level 2 Support who made changes in the settings to no avail and has subsequently authorized an RMA number to obtain a replacement because they "have identified the hardware issue causing this problem."  

Message 15 of 72
croaker69
Initiate

I've been getting the same issue since this update was pushed.

CG3000Dv2 N450

H/W rev: R2.05A2

F/W rev: V3.01.06

However my frequency has been 3-5 times per day all connections are dropped until I force a reset of the wi-fi by making configuration change(I usually just change channels or max speed, apply, and then revert). Router web GUI shows the wi-fi as up the entire time. With 3 family members using iPhones on a shared data plan this has put them over their monthly data limit in two days. I need a fix fast.

I've been using all these same devices for nearly a year prior to the Comcast push that upgraded the f/w to v3 from v1.

Model: N450 (CG3000Dv2)|N450 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 16 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

It cost me $16.90 to get a replacement gateway shipped along with pre-paid return postage.  Netgear sent me a brand new (not a refurb) gateway of the same model as the defective one.  Thus far (3 days) the wifi has been rock steady 24/7.  I suspect a certain percentage of that model had a defective part.  Hopefully the replacement is not one of them.

Message 17 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

And on the 8th day, the brand new CG3000DV2 disconnected all wifi devices and would not allow them to reconnect until I unplugged and then re-plugged the power to the gateway.  What is causing this behavior?  Could this be the firmware Comcast has pushed to me, V3.01.06?  I am very disappointed.  I thought Netgear was known for reliability.

Message 18 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

After another three days from the last post, again got disconnected from all wifi devices and was unable to reconnect until a hard reboot.  Called Netgear Tech Support who was quick to blame Comcast saying that if the problem came from both the original purchase and from the "tested" replacement they sent (probably a return that had the same problem but seemed OK when they tested it for 2 minutes), then it must be a problem with the ISP.  They are, however, shipping me a new replacement unit.  We'll see how that works out.

Message 19 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

I called Comcast and some lady in India told me she would "synchronize" my gateway and that "this this will fix the problem."  After she did it, nothing changed on the gateway; it didn't reboot or have any changed settings.  Four days later I awoke to find all wifi devices disconnected and unable to reconnect until I did a hard reboot of the gateway.   Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 72
jthu
Aspirant

Same issue here as well. Talked to the customer service rep; he wants me to pay $89 or so for the additional tech support to try out settings, etc. I believe this is a bug introduced in the latest version of the firmware and has to be fixed with an update to the firmware.

Message 21 of 72
wirelesslove
Aspirant

I have the same issue. i called customer service  for 1 hour and only they asked me to pay 110 $ for warranty extend. i tried to get hints to resolve issue from customer representive  but no luck. i can buy another one with 110 $. i belive it is bug with FW and i am not sure which latest FW to upgrad. any help ?

Message 22 of 72
jthu
Aspirant

I don't believe they have come up with an upgraded firmware to fix it. Meanwhile, they may downgrade the firmware to solve the issue provided we pay whatever they are asking to pay. Nice way to make more money. For now, I am just re-booting the router every now and then to keep connected. 

Message 23 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

When I activated my third N450 gateway (Netgear graciously supplied me the third at no charge whatsoever), I explained the disconnect problem to the Comcast agent and she said she would configure my account to receive a "strong signal."  It has been 18 days now without a wifi disconnect.  Maybe the third time's the charm?

Message 24 of 72
craigwf
Tutor

Your isp controls your firmware.  You don't get to choose which version.  If you manage to find and install an older version of the firmware, your isp will upgrade you automatically to the version they are currently using for your modem/router.

Message 25 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7