Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600/WNDR3400 connected to a new Cable Modem CM500

hwemar
Aspirant

N600/WNDR3400 connected to a new Cable Modem CM500

Anyone out there know how to get N600/WNDR3400 to work with a new Cable Modem CM500?

I've got N600 Ethernet-cabled to the CM500 via the Internet port, but CM500 won't recognize the N600 Wireless Router, never goes from amber to green, like it forgot how to shake hands.

Or maybe the CM500 never new how? I thought this NetGear Modem would work with NetGear Wireless Routers...

N600 works with XFinity's Cable Modem no problem.

CM500 works fine directly connected to my laptop, and gets internet just fine.

Your feedback and directions would be most appreciated

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: N600/WNDR3400 connected to a new Cable Modem CM500

Unplug your CM500, then connect the router (WNDR3400 in your case) to the modem also powered down. First power up the router, then the modem. If you still do not get an Internet connection, you will have to log into the WNDR3400 (www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 -- admin / password is the default when prompted). Go to the "Advanced" section, then look for "Connection Status" button. Click that, a new window will open where you will want to "release" then wait and then "renew." Done. Should work.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Unplug your CM500, then connect the router (WNDR3400 in your case) to the modem also powered down. First power up the router, then the modem. If you still do not get an Internet connection, you will have to log into the WNDR3400 (www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 -- admin / password is the default when prompted). Go to the "Advanced" section, then look for "Connection Status" button. Click that, a new window will open where you will want to "release" then wait and then "renew." Done. Should work.

Message 2 of 3
hwemar
Aspirant

Thank you for that. The order of boot up, Router and then Modem with them cabled together, worked! It did not happen right away, it took about 15 minutes really.

The WNDR3400 router doese not have any Connection Status under the Advanced section, which I found surprising. So while I tried other sections just to see if Connection Status would show up another browser window popped up asking to authenticate the Modem with XFinity. This told me it was working since I was hard-wired from laptop to Router. 

Advanced
Wireless Settings
Wireless Repeating Function
Port Forwarding / Port Triggering
WAN Setup
LAN Setup
QoS Setup
Dynamic DNS
Static Routes
Remote Management
UPnP
IPv6