Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1 (C7800) phone port

leeguth
Follower

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1 (C7800) phone port

I recently purchased this router because it was on Comcast's list of certified modem/routers. When the installer came to install everything we found out there is no phone jack. He said they've run into this and we could go to a store like Best Buy and buy a little box port that take ethernet in and provides phone out - he didn't have the name but said they should know exactly what I was looking for. I went today and they kind of looked at me as if I had two heads...of course...so one guy finally thought that maybe the guy meant a MagicJack - just use the hardware and not their service. I read those instructions and it says to plug the phone cord into a phone and not a wall jack or it could harm the unit. I looked around and found a Cisco adapter but in the reviews it says it won't work. Can you please help me? I don't want to pay to rent Comcast's modem/router and it seems there is a way I just don't know what to use. 

Message 1 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1 (C7800) phone port

For using Voice service, you need C7100V (Voice Wi-Fi Router) or CM500(Voice modem only). These are the only 2 NETGEAR retail devices which work with voice. 

You can alway go with 3rd party voice service such as OOMA (www.ooma.com) instead of using Comcast voice. You will need to buy their hardware and connect behind C7800. they charge a small monthly fee as well I guess. This is not officially support by NETGEAR but it is an alternative to using Comcast voice service.

Message 2 of 4
walruspete
Guide

Does NETGEAR plan on developing a DOCSIS 3.1 compliant cable modem w/ telephony?  

As of now, there are DOCSIS 3.1 modems and ethernet/telephony modems but not any that are both DOCSIS 3.1 designed with voice.

Message 3 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

I dont think anyone wont comment on future plans here but I would keep looking netgear's website every month or so and any press releases. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7