Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghthawk c7000v2 Issues with connecting 2 PS4 consoles

JeffVilla
Aspirant

NIghthawk c7000v2 Issues with connecting 2 PS4 consoles

Hello, I recently purchased a Nighthawk c7000v2 combo model/router. For a while, i thought things were great, as it was a step up from my old motorola modem that was struggling to get wifi into the other rooms.

However, over the last few weeks, I've noticed a problem with my two ps4's and their NAT types.

The issue is that one console will get NAT 2 and the other will get NAT 3, but never both at the same time.

I've tried port-forwarding the necessary ports to the console that has NAT 3 issues. No changes.

I've tried putting that console into the DMZ. No changes.

I've tried turning off SIP ALG. No changes.

My PortScan and DOS protections are off.

UPnP is enabled.

I tried setting a static IP address (the first time, after a router reboot, i wasn't told to do this again, so its off)  No changes.

I use Spectrum internet, but i do not have their Modem. They hooked up fine and on their end, all connections are good to go and there isn't any problems on their side.

Here's the interesting bit though: if I reboot the router to factory from its pinhole-- the first console to connect to the newly rebooted router will have NAT 2, and the other will have NAT 3. I can consistently flip this by resetting the router this way.

I do not know what else I could try to fix this-- I am considering returning the purchase because I've been on tech support lines for the last week trying to resolve the issue. I've also had my issue escalated to tier 2, but have never received a supervisor call-- they also seem to keep closing that support ticket whenever I call to check its status.

Anybody have any ideas?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JeffVilla
Aspirant

The 2 pieces of tech solution is not the correct course of action.

The correct course of action regarding this issue in particular is to turn off UPnP, Save changes, Power Cycle your Router, then Restart your consoles and check their network configurations. 

Both are now permanently locked into NAT 2.

Had to get a level 2 tech to send me an email regarding this, and it wasnt even meant for me, it was meant for the technician i was talking to on the phone.

Hope this helps someone else down the line!~

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that NGs cable gateways don't have that would help with this is NAT Filter. This is on NGs router only units. This would help you get NAT2 on two or more game consoles. See this same problem before with xbox. 

You could try manually setting Port Forwarding rule maybe might help. Would need to get with Sony and get ALL there ports they use. 

Other way would be to turn the C7000 into a modem only and install a external router, like NGs R, RAX or XR series routers that have NAT Filter options. 

Message 2 of 8
JeffVilla
Aspirant

I think i have set quite a few port-forwarding rules from Sony for use directly to the PS4 in question. Sometimes, games will work, but other-times, the games will rubberband the NAT3 console and/or cause disconnection from other player/server.

I think I'm stuck with an expensive piece of plastic, as its 2 weeks out of range for a return, and I cannot seem to find a solution to this issue anywhere and Tech Support is also stumped. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I found this issue back on my CAX80. IT doesn't have NAT Filter either. SO I just had to let uPnP handle the game consoles and work with it when I had it in router mode. Only fix for this is to put the modem in to modem only mode and connect up a NG router with NAT Filter features. Set this to OPEN and both consoles will maintain same NAT level. 

Message 4 of 8
JeffVilla
Aspirant

So I have to purchase another piece of equipment, turn off the router features (which was the reason i bought this one), and make sure its a specific NG product that is compatible with NAT filtering?

Yeesh. I cant believe I wasted so much money, I think I would be dumb to waste more. Thanks for the insight, I wish I would have known this sooner and wouldnt have allowed NG customer service to jerk my chain for weeks.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well not really your fault or NGs. Just with NGs cable gateways, they didn't or put in NAT Filter options. Not sure what the reason was. I presume there was a tech reason for it. 

Any kind of gateway modem isn't well suited for gaming. Stand alone and external routers are best for this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
JeffVilla
Aspirant

The 2 pieces of tech solution is not the correct course of action.

The correct course of action regarding this issue in particular is to turn off UPnP, Save changes, Power Cycle your Router, then Restart your consoles and check their network configurations. 

Both are now permanently locked into NAT 2.

Had to get a level 2 tech to send me an email regarding this, and it wasnt even meant for me, it was meant for the technician i was talking to on the phone.

Hope this helps someone else down the line!~

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Hope that works well. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7