Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need serious help connecting Netgear Modem and Netgear C3000 router

Crystal_RF
Aspirant

Need serious help connecting Netgear Modem and Netgear C3000 router

Okay. I am tech stupid so I hope someone can help. I purchased a Netgear N300 WiFi Cable Modem Router. Model #C3000, hoping to upgrade from a thrift-store find router/modem that is slow & glitchy (at best) with WiFi connection. I have DSL broadband internet thru AT&T. I didn't realize what I got was 'cable' only. However, AT&T assured me the C3000 would work. They told me to use the newer modem-only they'd sent last year (Netgear ADSL2+ Router, Model # A90-620025-20, Style MSTATEA)... to connect it, and then I'd have to contact Netgear in order to "put Netgear 300 router on bridge mode with modem". AT&T told me I'd need to have help configuring the router with the modem, and that it'd only take the ethernet cord (which I have). Aside from pretty much 'getting' what I was told, I have no clue as to 1) whether this will work or not 2) what steps I need to do to get from A (having the modem & router) to Z (having everything connected correctly, configured properly and actually working). Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 5

Not sure that AT&T has given the correct answer. Maybe an expert can step in and explain if this modem will work in router only mode. My instinct is to return the thing and get a modem that is designed for DSL.

However, if you do want to try to get it to work, you will find the manual here:

>>> C3000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

You might find it useful to read page 73: Change the Router Mode.

Message 2 of 5
Crystal_RF
Aspirant

Thank you for your response and the link/info. I don't doubt AT&T is wrong! I can't afford an expert, and the Netgear modem/router isn't brand new. I purchased it via ebay (not realizing, of course, I was getting the wrong kind until afterward!). I can't send it back or get a refund, nor can I afford to pay someone to help me. (I'm still using my original Dell monitor, mouse & keyboard from over 15 yrs. ago and the tower I have is a replacement POS from an 'expert' who sold me a 'customized, top-of-the-line, new computer' (turned out it was made with parts/pieces that were so old they were no longer under any kind of warranty... I ended up having no other option but to take another that he just had 'around', as even the BBB wouldn't get me my money back after the 1st one's hard drive went in less than a month). Point being, I don't have anything that is even remotely close to new, so we've tried to 'upgrade' as inexpensively as possible.)

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

I'm sorry to say that if your AT&T connection uses DSL, then the C3000 will not work.  The C3000 is a DOCSIS cable modem, not DSL.

Message 4 of 5
Crystal_RF
Aspirant

Thank you, that's what I was afraid of, once I got the item & read on everything (box/paper inside) that it was a "Cable" modem/router. I didn't know that you had to have ones specifically for whatever way you get your ISP. AT&T kept insisting ti would work, though. Ugh. money we didn't really have down the drain! Expensive lesson. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7