Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to Replace 7.4x5.1 DC Plug on CAX80 Power Supply

FlatheadLake
Guide

Need to Replace 7.4x5.1 DC Plug on CAX80 Power Supply

I need to replace the DC 7.4mm OD x 5.1mm ID (5.0 mm actual) barrel connector without a center pin that is on my Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 power supply.  How can I purchase this from Netgear or anywhere else?

I need either the plug itself or a dongle or a hanging plug with the 2 + and - wires. I do not want to have to purchase a new power supply, just the 7.4x5.1 replacement plug.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need to Replace 7.4x5.1 DC Plug on CAX80 Power Supply

Opening the case on the modem would void any warranty. 

Would be just easier to replace the power adapter of the one that came in box doesn't work. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be nothing available for your needs. If you need the plug, you'd have to get another power adapter. 

Are you needing a longer cable run for the cax80? 

Message 2 of 6
FlatheadLake
Guide

No, I am replacing the original power supply with an OEM 19v, 4.5a power supply that comes with a DC cable with a 5.5 x 2.1 plug and an Aviation GX12-2 connector.  I cannot find a 7.4 x 5.0 adapter without a center pin anywhere.  All available 7.4x5.0 plugs and adapters have a center pin.

Can I change the jack in the CAX80 modem/router to accept the 5.1 x 2.1 male plug?

Thank  you.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Opening the case on the modem would void any warranty. 

Would be just easier to replace the power adapter of the one that came in box doesn't work. 

Message 4 of 6
FlatheadLake
Guide

Thank you for the response FURRYe38.  I have been informed by a DC cable manufacturer that using a 7.4x5.0 male barrel conector with a pin will be fine to use with the pinless structure of the female input jack on the Nighthawk CAX80.  The pin on the male connector can just bbe ignored.  So I have ordered an HP 7.4x5.0 barrel plug adapter with a pin (19v, 4.5a capable) and will test it when it arrives. 

I have got to believe I am not the only audiophile/home theatre enthusiast wanting to improve sound and picture qualty through the use of an improved poewr supply for the CAX80.  The CAX80 was already made quite an improvement over the cable company modem/router, even though the later was not bad.

Thank you again, much appreciated

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a home theater system as well. Haven't noticed anything about the stock adapter that came with my CAX80. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7