Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear 1150V capability question

anteroal
Aspirant

Netgear 1150V capability question

I'm interested in purchasing the 1150V, but I saw one review on heavy.com saying that only one of the gibabit ports could be used at a time.  I have two computers that I want to hardwire immediately, and may want to add another down the road, so I'm not sure if this modem will work for me. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you are correct. 

IF an ISP ever offers 2Gb on there service line, then is possible for the CM modem to split this service speed so that you get a 1Gb line on one WAN port and the other 1Gb line on a different port. All depends on what the ISP will support and configure for there network. Cables ISPs run the show when it comes to cable modems. Even FW updates on the modems as well. So it's best to have a external router that you can manage the FW updates on. Leave the modem FW to the ISPs. 

I believe the CM1150v offers Link Aggregation so if you had a 1Gb line, you could connect up a router that also supports Link aggregation for better performances while sharing the 1Gb line. Maybe a bit more complex for you. Just know that the CM modem would work for your needs, just need a router to go with it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Tthe modem can work, however those ports are for assigned IP addresses from a ISP. Most ISPs only assigned one port to a WAN IP address. For some business class envrionments ISPs assign more than one, thus the other ports can be used in this configuration. So if you had ISP services with all ports, you could have 4 external routers connected to each port in back. Or up to 4 wired PCs connected. 

To get more than one device connected to any CM series modem, a external router is needed regardless of ports seen on a CM series modem. NGs CM series modems are modems only. No built in router in CM series modems. C series modems have built in routers and wifi. 

The CM modem would work for you, just need a external router to go with it. 

Message 2 of 6
anteroal
Aspirant

I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I think I understand that for a single household user running my wife's business and mine, I would plug my router into the modem and from there run two ethernet cables to each of our computers to maximize speed.  Correct?

I believe that I read that the modem would allow bonding so if we go to a faster service down the road, the modem would handle 2GB service. I just want to confirm.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you are correct. 

IF an ISP ever offers 2Gb on there service line, then is possible for the CM modem to split this service speed so that you get a 1Gb line on one WAN port and the other 1Gb line on a different port. All depends on what the ISP will support and configure for there network. Cables ISPs run the show when it comes to cable modems. Even FW updates on the modems as well. So it's best to have a external router that you can manage the FW updates on. Leave the modem FW to the ISPs. 

I believe the CM1150v offers Link Aggregation so if you had a 1Gb line, you could connect up a router that also supports Link aggregation for better performances while sharing the 1Gb line. Maybe a bit more complex for you. Just know that the CM modem would work for your needs, just need a router to go with it. 

Message 4 of 6
anteroal
Aspirant

Thanks. I'm going to go ahead with buying it.  I do have a router, but it is probably 5 years old.  Since I'll be on gigabit service, should I be replacing the router as well, and if so, what are the key things to look for in working well with the CM1150V?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of broad range of routers. If you want to use LAG or Link Aggregation, find a router that supports this on the WAN side. I know there are a few NG models that support this. Also consider your wifi needs and futre needs or not. IF you don't have any AX supporting devices, you can find something with AC wifi. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7