Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C3700 on COMCAST - Please don't buy it !!

carl321
Star

Netgear C3700 on COMCAST - Please don't buy it !!

PROBLEM SOLVED !

As you may have seen ive been having alot of issues with this device. The solution is DONT BUY this device if you are with COMCAST !. Here is why:

1. Slow speeds on wifi were due to an out dated firware version on the device according to NETGEAR (Tier 3 agent at the HQ in California) 

2. After a FCC complaint that I filed; someone from Corp office at COMCAST called me. HE checked with his senior engineers and said that COMCAST does not have the latest firmware for the netgear device. He accepted that the firmware is completely handled (updated) by COMCAST and not NETGEAR (for the first time)

3. So basically dont use this device on COMCAST and if you want to but your own device in the future please check the compatible device which have been tested and passed with a 3 star rating at COMCAST website. link : http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Make:  Netgear
Model:  C3700-100NAS (Retail)
Retail:  Yes
Device Type:  Gateway
DOCSIS Version:  3.0
End of Life?  No
Certification:  

certification should have 3 stars according to COMCAST for that device to have the latest firmware on it !

If you look carefully on this list Netgear device is not properly tested at COMCAST and they will not be doing anything in the near future. However Motorola / ARRIS devices are fuly supported by COMCAST (becasuse they own 10-15% of ARRIS 😄

Sadly ARRIS devices arent the best and their wifi signal strength is absurb compared to some other providers. 

---------

I bought a Airport express router for $85 on amazon and this has fixed all my wifi issues. (thank you Apple)

Basically im using a $150 device as just a dumb modem 😞

Only if I knew about this corporate mumbo jumbo earlier. God Bless America !

Message 1 of 7
JohnJH1
Initiate

I wish I had read this before I bought this router, but that was a year ago.  I also have Comcast and have Blast.  Hardwired into the router, I am consistently hitting 178 Mbps.  Using wifi, 26Mbps.  Well, it sounds like the router and Comcast is a bad combination.  

Message 2 of 7
pattyc78
Aspirant

I am not good at this but any one have Any suggestions on how I can disable wifi on the C3700? I just bought an airport extreme because the c3700  wifi speed is very slow but i need an modem now. Any help? Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello pattyc78

You can turn the C3700 into just a modem and let your airport extreme do the routing. Go to Advanced-Administration-Router Mode then select No this should bridge your C3700.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
Drew2
Star

Well this is disapointing to see.  I'm having a "firm ware issue"  with another of their routers.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/c7000-100nas-Internet-sync-problems/m-p/106077...

Message 5 of 7
HiThere22
Star

C3700 in general is a poor device, gateways tend to have more issues then a modem and router seperated.

Message 6 of 7
frankeezipper
Aspirant

take it out of router mode and put it into bridge mode

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7