Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear C7000 assigning wrong IP Address to new HP OfficeJet 8730 printer

bdtice1
Aspirant

Netgear C7000 assigning wrong IP Address to new HP OfficeJet 8730 printer

I just got a new HP OfficeJet 8730 printer and can't get it to connect to the network.  I called HP and they looked at my router settings  and found that the router is assigning the incorrect IP address of 169.254.178.196 to the printer.  They said it should be assigning 192.168.0.... and that it is an issue with the router.  Does anybody have any ideas of what to do?  I checked the printer settings and it is set to automatic IP settings.  If I totally remove security, it will connect.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear C7000 assigning wrong IP Address to new HP OfficeJet 8730 printer

The router is not assigning 169.254.178.196 to the printer.  The printer is assigning that address to itself.  Most devices will self-assign an address in the 169.254.x.x range when they fail to obtain an address from a DHCP server.

It sounds like your printer is old.  It may not support WPA2 security.  Log onto the router and switch the Wi-Fi security setting to either WPA or WPA+WPA2.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The router is not assigning 169.254.178.196 to the printer.  The printer is assigning that address to itself.  Most devices will self-assign an address in the 169.254.x.x range when they fail to obtain an address from a DHCP server.

It sounds like your printer is old.  It may not support WPA2 security.  Log onto the router and switch the Wi-Fi security setting to either WPA or WPA+WPA2.

Message 2 of 3
bdtice1
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion.  The key was when you said it failed to obtain an address from the DHCP server.  I turned off the router and printer.  Turned the router back on after 1 minutes and let it start all the way.  Then turned the printer on and this time I was able to connect to the network.  Wish I would have thought about that earlier and saved hours of trying to figure out what was going on.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7