Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C7100V Router USB MIDI over Ethernet ?

markerline
Follower

Netgear C7100V Router USB MIDI over Ethernet ?

Hi.  Is it possible to connect a MIDI instrument that sends data over a standard USB Cable by plugging it into the router's USB port and have that device be recognized on the network in Windows 10?  I would be connecting ethernet cables between the router and the 2 computers that I would use.  I am trying to have a MIDI signal from an instrument be sent across the network to 2 computers simultaneously.  There is only 1 USB out on the MIDI device.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

That wouldn't work. You should look into a USB mutliport hub that you can connect two or more USB devices too then connect your PCs USB ports to this hub which would probably work. Something I would ask the devices Mfr more about to see what they can help you with. 

Message 2 of 3
mclarenlabs
Initiate

You can't plug the MIDI USB jack directly into the router, you need something that translates USB MIDI to Network MIDI.  There are programs for Mac, Linux and Windows computers, or dedicated hardware boxes that do what you want.

Read our survey for a good overview of network MIDI solutions.  It's pretty fair - and includes open source software projects as well as commercial hardware solutions.

https://mclarenlabs.com/blog/2019/09/14/the-state-of-network-midi-2019/

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7