Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router

TB_12
Guide

Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router

I have a Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router (moderator - please add this model to the "model" drop down above).  My ISP is Comcast with a 1 gigabit service and Outlook is used for email on a laptop.  My Outlook client connects to an exchange server.

Once Outlook is started, it will send and receive for 5 minutes and then won’t send or receiving email for 30 minutes (any emails I send sit in the Outbox).  After that 30 minute delay is over, Outlook can send and receive emails for another 5 minutes followed by another 30 minute delay or pause in sending or receiving from the exchange server.

If I put the laptop to sleep or close Outlook and reopen Outlook, it will send/receive immediately.  But the 5 minute/30 minute cycle starts over again.  I’ve tried to force a send/receive by pressing send/receive, but that doesn’t make a difference with Exchange since everything should be instant.

I’ve reinstalled Outlook 3 times and have also made 6 calls to Comcast.  The issue was escalated to Comcast’s security folks as well as Comcast’s senior tech folks.  They all assure me that my Comcast gigabit service is not the issue and after hearing everything I’ve tried (below) they feel it must be something with the Nighthawk.

To eliminate my home wiring, I’ve tested my laptop connection using both a WiFi connection and a hard wired connection.

Lastly, to eliminate any concerns regarding my laptop (installation or anything else), I drove to a shop with free WiFi.  I was able to send and receive emails for 12 minutes (more than doubling the 5 minute window) after which I stopped testing.

It would seem that I’ve isolated this issue to the Nighthawk C7800.

Has anyone seen this problem?  Are there any suggestions?  I’m considering returning this as defective.

Message 1 of 9
TB_12
Guide

Apologies, I’m new to this forum.

So that a search for Outlook will capture this, would the moderator please modify the subject to readNetgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router intermittent Outlook issue”.

Thanks,

TB_12

Message 2 of 9
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

have you seen any internet traffic losses or is it only outlook which runs in 5 min windows? 

Message 3 of 9
TB_12
Guide

No traffic loss that I'm aware.  If you have a command you want me to run at the DOS prompt, let me know.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
TB_12
Guide

It's been a week since this was posted.  Are there any commands or tests you'd like me to perform?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

you would want to confirm there are not connectivity losses at all.

in command prompt type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" 

and if you outlook not syncing, capture traffic via wireshark and private message me the capture.

Message 6 of 9
TB_12
Guide

Thanks.  I did the ping 8.8.8.8 -t and let it run for a bit.  There was no loss.  Here are the results:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 171, Received = 171, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 39ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Windows\system32>

I'll download Wireshark and run it later today.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 9
toddeaton
Initiate

I have the EXACT same problem.  What's interesting is, I have the same OUTLOOK 365 at home with a different router and I DO NOT have a problem.  ONLY at work when using this C7800 Router.  I'm about to throw it out and buy a TPLINK.   Has there been any conclusion to this since May?

Message 8 of 9
TB_12
Guide

The issue went to the developer.  They provided a firmware fix which solved the problem.  But I'm waiting for a hardware fix because the firmware fix is using the CPU to resolve what the hardware should be doing.

I'll email them now and reply to this message once I hear from them.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7