Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router intermittent Outlook issue

AUKenDog
Follower

Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router intermittent Outlook issue

I am having a problem with my Outlook email "freezing" or "hanging" due to this new modem/router combo I just purchased.  The problem didn't exist with my prior modem/router...and whenever I take my laptop anywhere else and connect to any other WiFi...there is no problem...so I *KNOW* the issue is being caused by the router.  There was an existing topic on this exact issue I'm having...but it was closed due to inactivity.  Here is the original topic:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Netgear-C7800-Nighthawk-AC3200-WiFi-Cable-Mode...

Here are the details of the issue from the original poster:

I have a Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router.  My ISP is Comcast with a 1 gigabit service and Outlook is used for email on a laptop.  My Outlook client connects to an exchange server.

Once Outlook is started, it will send and receive for 5 minutes and then it hangs / freezes.  It won’t send or receive email for 30 minutes (any emails I send sit in the Outbox).  After that 30 minute delay is over, Outlook can send and receive emails for another 5 minutes followed by another 30 minute delay or pause in sending or receiving from the exchange server.

If I put the laptop to sleep or close Outlook and reopen Outlook, it will send/receive immediately.  But the 5 minute/30 minute cycle starts over again.  I’ve tried to force a send/receive by pressing send/receive, but that doesn’t make a difference with Exchange since everything should be instant.  Essentially the only remedy is to close Outlook and restart.

I’ve reinstalled Outlook 3 times and have also made 6 calls to Comcast.  The issue was escalated to Comcast’s security folks as well as Comcast’s senior tech folks.  They all assure me that my Comcast gigabit service is not the issue and after hearing everything I’ve tried (below) they feel it must be something with the Nighthawk.

To eliminate my home wiring, I’ve tested my laptop connection using both a WiFi connection and a hard wired connection.

Prior to this C7800...I had a different Netgear router with a TP-Link modem and the issue didn't exist.  Comcast has been my ISP for 15 years.  The only change I made was to the C7800 to get the faster internet speed...and now I have this Outlook problem.  Everything else works great and is fast!  This is ONLY an Outlook issue related to the C7800.  I can only assume there's some setting in the C7800 that needs to be changed to remedy the situation with Outlook that causes it to not be able to communicate with the Microsoft Exchange server after 5 minutes.

PLEASE HELP!  I would really rather not return this C7800 because of this one issue with Outlook...but it is driving me crazy!

The original poster said this:

"The issue went to the developer.  They provided a firmware fix which solved the problem.  But I'm waiting for a hardware fix because the firmware fix is using the CPU to resolve what the hardware should be doing."

Can I get this firmware fix?

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router intermittent Outlook issue

Sadly the C7800 is a combo device and all firmware has to come from the ISP. 

A couple things to check/try.

1. IPv4/IPv6. which do you have enabled? Try IPv6 if its not enabled.

2. DNS. have you tried a different dns server? sometimes comcast's server is crap and causes issues. You can try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4  or even cloudfare's at 1.1.1.1

I'd start there and see what happens. have you tried any other pc's with outlook on them to see if the issue's still there?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7