Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear CM600 compatible with Shentel Internet?

mikael26288
Aspirant

Netgear CM600 compatible with Shentel Internet?

Does anyone know if the Netgear CM600 docsis 3.0 cable modem is compatible with Shentel?

Their tech surport cannot tell me until I can give them the Mac address from the modem.

That means I would have to buy it first and take a chance it will not be compatible.

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mikael26288

I can not give a answer on that do they not have a known working list of modems?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
djc6
Luminary

Its not on their list of compatible modems:

https://www.shentel.com/legal/shentel_modem_list

You might be able to find another Shentel users on https://www.dslreports.com/ forums

Message 3 of 6
mikael26288
Aspirant

They only have 3 models of Arris modems and 3 models of Motorola modems listed.

All of them seems to be listed as "not supposed to be sold to retail consumers", from all the negative reviews I have read.

I do not want to rent my modem. Their tech support guy told me that he has not had any problems with Netgear Modems but can't tell if it will work until I can give him the MAC address off ot the modem.

I was hoping someone that has Shentel cable Internet could help me.

That link to the Shentel forum seems to be a zombie site and very outdated.

Message 4 of 6
djc6
Luminary

You can buy the SB6141 anywhere - that is a retail modem.   The SB6180 I'm sure you could find on eBay for cheap - like $15.

I am partial to SB6180 myself as I prefer modems with broadcom chipsets - the CM600 is broadcom based as well.  But the SB6141 is very popular modem that can be bought at Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Both the SB6141 and SB6180 are solid modems, both 8x4 and  both do well in reviews and are very popular.   Both are very affordable used on cragislist or ebay - like $10-$15.

Remember the cable company is the only one who can update firmware on a cable modem.  So I think its in your best interest to stick to the supported list, as they are most likely to actually support it and provide firmware updates, etc..

Message 5 of 6
Techlore
Apprentice

The safest thing to do is contact them and find out. Also ask them what the approved speeds are.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7