Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (C7000-100NAS) Disconnect issues

Jesse_Zuniga
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (C7000-100NAS) Disconnect issues

My Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (C7000) has been experiencing frequent disconnects from both cable, wifi, and ethernet simultaneously. This has been going on for over a month now.

In the earlier stages, every day (almost always between 7-10 AM and PM) I repeatedly lost service and have to reboot/power cycle my router-modem combo to regain connection. I had a technician from my ISP (Comcast Xfinity) over to check the lines and was told they were not the problem. I then called Netgear support, went through a troubleshooting process and ended up factory resetting my Nighthawk. After getting connection back, I began logging results.

Since then, my issues have continued much like they did before. The times are less regular, but I lose connection at least three times a day (while I'm awake). In the logs, what usually seems to happen is a series of T3 timeouts leading to a T4 timeout. I usually reboot/power cycle my Nighthawk before I get to the T4 timeout, but occasionally I catch it by waiting. On the Nighthawk itself, everytime I disconnect, the behavior is the same: the upstream indicator blinks steadily until it reboots.

Here are my notes on the disconnects:
5/1
12:17 am downstream blinking (scheduled maintenance reported)
12:20 am downstream blinking, upstream and internet dark
12:25 am manual restart, connection back

7:50 pm upstream blinking
7:54 pm lights normal, connection back

8:15 pm upstream blinking
8:29 pm lights normal, connection back

5/2
2:55 am upstream blinking
2:58 manual restart, connection back

11:25 pm upstream blinking
11:28 pm lights normal, connection back

11:36 pm upstream blinking
11:41 manual restart failed (internet light blinked until startup process began over)
11:42 second startup process complete, lights normal, connection back

5/3
7:06 pm upstream blinking
7:09 pm manual restart, connection back

7:26 pm upstream blinking
7:29 pm manual restart, connection back

7:51 pm upstream blinking
7:53 pm manual restart, connection back

5/4
9:05 am disconnect, details unknown

9:48 am disconnect, details unknown

10:02 am disconnect, details unknown

12:20 pm upstream blinking
12:24 pm manual restart, connection back

3:47 pm upstream light blinking
3:50 pm manual restart, connection back

3:58 pm upstream light blinking
4:02 pm manual restart, connection back

5/5
9:44 pm upstream blinking
9:47 pm manual restart, connection back

10:18 pm upstream blinking
10:22 pm manual restart, connection back

10:30 pm upstream blinking
10:33 pm manual restart, connection back

5/6
12:26 am upstream blinking
12:30 am manual restart, connection back

Here is a link to an Imgur album with screenshots of the Logs and Event Log labelled with the dates of the notes from above: https://imgur.com/a/ytSEtEC. Included in this album (at the end) is my power table.

Any help is appreciated, but I mostly want to know if there is a way to tell where the fault lies from the info I have here. Is it with my ISP, my wiring (which they claim is ok), or my Netgear Nighthawk? Thanks

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Log into the cable connection page on the modem and get the screen snip of your cable connections. This shows the connection back to the isp. I've long ago learned not to trust an ISP when they say "the line is fine". 

also, if you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in line, remove them. 

Message 2 of 8
Jesse_Zuniga
Guide

@plemans wrote:

get the screen snip of your cable connections

The cable connection screenshots are included at the end of the album linked above. 

@plemans wrote:

if you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in line, remove them. 

I don't have any. The ISP tech also checked for those when he was here.

Message 3 of 8
Jesse_Zuniga
Guide

UPDATE:

My Nighthawk seems to have factory reset itself this morning. I see a number of T3s and T4s in the log, but nothing outside of what I've been seeing already. All I know is that my wifi settings reverted back to default.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Your base signal levels look good.

not saying its for sure good because usually t3 t4 errors are line issues and when you log in, it just takes a snip when you load the page. 

have they replaced the cable? lines?

I've see before where water in the line caused intermittent issues. 

Message 5 of 8
Jesse_Zuniga
Guide

@plemans wrote:

have they replaced the cable? lines?

They've replaced nothing. When their tech came, they claimed the line looked good.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

so if they're saying the lines good, it comes down to:

1. the modem. always a potential.

2. the cmts/hub. 

basically you'll need to replace the modem. If it doesn't fix the problem, then you can say to the isp that you've even replaced the modem and still had issues. 

If you're within warranty, you can probably start a rma process with netgear. If you're not, even putting a backup/old modem might work to see if it is a modem or line issue. 

Message 7 of 8
Jesse_Zuniga
Guide

@plemans wrote: 

basically you'll need to replace the modem. If it doesn't fix the problem, then you can say to the isp that you've even replaced the modem and still had issues. 

Those were my thoughts as well. I just switched to their rental modem to troubleshoot the hardware. Will monitor to see what issues I now have. The suspicious thing is that the tech that came to my house told me he might want to put a new line down or at least replace the primary outlet after I told him that my issues persisted. Guess we'll see, but thanks for the insights.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7