Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Fails to connect and lock to all channels and internet fails

DB001
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Fails to connect and lock to all channels and internet fails

Hi Netgear,

I am consistently having internet issues and drops (1-2 times per week) while on zoom calls for work.  My provider is RCN and they cannot troubleshoot because the modem is not leased from them.  They were able to point me in the direction of the Modem diagnostics and they noticed that not all of the channels are bonding and locking.  It is consistently only half of the channels.  Can you explain why all of the channels are not bonding and locking?

I can send you the error log and screenshots but is there any security concern by making the details in the log public?

Thanks,

D

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Fails to connect and lock to all channels and internet fails

No, there isn't issues with posting the cable connectino info and logs. 

If you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line. I'd remove them. 

Check the line for kinks, damage, poor/cheap connectors. 

Message 2 of 6
DB001
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Fails to connect and lock to all channels and internet fails

I've attached the logs.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

so check the line. Preferablly move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. This ensures nothing in the home is causing the issue. Also remove splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators from the line. 

Message 4 of 6
DB001
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

So you're saying that the 16 channel locks is not expected behavior.  All of the channels should be utilized at all times for peak performance?  That's helpful to know.  The reality is I'm in an apartment building and I'm at the will of the wiring.  The RCN guy took the one working input cable and split it to Cable Box, Phone Modem, and Netgear Nighthawk CM1200.  I would have to call in a tech from RCN, but we only have one line to work with so I don't see how we can get around splitting it to the other services.  

What's the technical reason that only half of the channels would be locking?  There's not enough power going to the cable wire?  Or does it have to do with RCN's bandwidth limitations (we are on the 500mb plan)?

Do you know if RCN is using an outdated firmware version?  There is no 'date of last update' displayed in the netgear diagnostics.  If they are using outdated firmware, I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about that and I'm at the will of the ISP?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Try disconnecting the splitter (for testing) that seperates into 3 and just direct connect the modem. 

check to see if that helps. 

I've been at the mercy of ISP's before that I had to rent a modem for a month to prove that it wasn't my modem. 

That might be worth an shot as well. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7