Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear cmd31t Cable Modem Promises inaccurate speeds

Bullfrog711
Follower

Netgear cmd31t Cable Modem Promises inaccurate speeds

Own a CMD31t that promises speeds of up to 150 mbps, however Time Warner has it labeled under 50 mbps and won't go any higher. The reason they claim is to protect the longevity of the product, yet no one asked my permission or insight on this topic; futhermore I feel like they are making decisions for me. So why doesn't Netgear and Time warner work together to fix the issue of purchasing a modem, only to find out it can't handle what they say it can?!  

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear cmd31t Cable Modem Promises inaccurate speeds

Hello Bullfrog711

What speed are you suppose to be getting from TWC? 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
Sando143
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem/confusion.  For more than a year, the modem has performed well at about 25 MBPS, as was appropriate for my service level with TWC.  Apparently, TWC changed something recently and I lost internet service.  After several reboots and remote efforts to re-register the modem with TWC, they sent a field tech.  No real indication of what the problem was, but he was able to get the modem to work again at the same speed.  However, discussion with the tech revealed that I had been 'upgraded' to 200 MBPS, recently made possible by TWC changes.  The tech told me that the modem was only capable of 50 MBPS, not 150 MBPS as Netgear states.  150 would be great, compared to my previous 25, but if I am paying for 200, I want 200.  TWC insisted that I had to purchase a new modem or lease one from them.  I chose to try their modem until figuring out what was wrong with mine.  Theirs indeed performs well, at about 230 MBPS.  

Who is right, and why the different views?  Must I trash my CMD31T to get above 25 MBPS?

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Sando143

It can handle up to 150Mbps based on the Docsis 3 standard but it just depends on the provisioning of the ISP. But like you said if your paying for a 200 Mbps connection then you would need a new modem so you can get the speeds you are paying for.

DarrenM 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7