Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network band setting configuration for model CM1100 modem and RBK53 ORBI system

JenAnne
Follower

Network band setting configuration for model CM1100 modem and RBK53 ORBI system

Hi. I am having trouble connecting to my work VPN suddenly. It was suggested that I configure the network to allow my laptop to select both 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, rather than defaulting to 5ghz. The suggestion was that further distance from the router may work best on 2.4ghz. Is there a setting on my modem or router that can allow for this?
Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Network band setting configuration for model CM1100 modem and RBK53 ORBI system

Well the CM modem is just a modem only. No router or wifi here.

For the Orbi:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

The Orbi system broadcasts both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time. It's up to the laptop to pick and chose where and what signal it connects too. You can try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios (2.4 or 5Ghz) from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Please refer to the laptops Mfr support and information regarding the wifi settings and configuration. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7