Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Cable Modem router +\- mesh

Deval79
Aspirant

New Cable Modem router +\- mesh

Frustrated with my Xfinity gateway, slow Wi-Fi, have to reset it because internet keeps dropping. Don’t like paying them monthly to rent a piece of crap equipment. Want to get the new NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router, figure it will help and speed things up. My house is about 6000 sq feet and have a large outdoor area. I think I will need a mesh or extender to cover everything. Need suggestions on the mesh vs extender and which brand. Does this modem router create a mesh with satellite Orbis or nighthawks or do I need buy a whole mesh system (router included). Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: New Cable Modem router +\- mesh

6000sq ft is rather sizable. What I'd do? 

Buy a modem seperate from the router. You tend to have more control over updates, firmware, and settings. 

Then you can buy whatever mesh system you prefer and add satellites as needed to the system to provide the coverage you desire.  

I'd recommend the CM1000 or CM1100 for docsis 3.1 modems. 

But something to check out? your signal quality from comcast. I'm not a fan of them but their modems tend to be fairly solid in terms of hardwired connection. If you're dropping both wired and wireless, it might be a signal issue and not a modem/router issue. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You could try the CAX then add on a EAX8000 extender. It won't be a true mesh system however. Just a normal kind of wifi with an extender for wifi coverage. 

I would recomend getting into a modem only option as mentioned by @plemans, then you can add on a NG orbi system if you want wifi MESH system. Like Orbi AX. 

Message 3 of 8
Deval79
Aspirant

Thanks for the info,

If I were to buy this new modem/router. I have ethernet access to 2-3 other parts of the house. What about getting Wi-Fi 6 routers like the RAX 40 or 50 and setting them as access points. If I do that does that mean I have to disable the WiFi on the modem/router?
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're needing multiple access points, I'd just go with a mesh system. Use the RAX devices as assess points would work but they aren't mesh so your roaming wouldn't be as seamless as going with a full mesh system. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No but you would need to set different channels far apart on 2.4Ghz since AP mode configures it's own wifi signal and not extended or MESH which would use the same channel. So if you bought separate APs, then you would need to set channels on each to 1, 6 and 11. Same on 5Ghz, using far appart channels. This would not be an extended or mesh type network. 

@Deval79 wrote:
Thanks for the info,

If I were to buy this new modem/router. I have ethernet access to 2-3 other parts of the house. What about getting Wi-Fi 6 routers like the RAX 40 or 50 and setting them as access points. If I do that does that mean I have to disable the WiFi on the modem/router?

Message 6 of 8
Deval79
Aspirant

Thanks, that’s very helpful, I’ll try that

If it doesn’t workout I’ll go Mesh
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8