Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

*New* Nighthawk CAX80 Release Date?

jefflynn333
Aspirant

*New* Nighthawk CAX80 Release Date?

When will we get a chance to purchase the new Nighthawk CAX80? IS there plans for a CAX1200? Plans for a larger multi-gig port for cable modems like 5-Gig or 10-Gig?

Message 1 of 39
plemans
Guru

Re: *New* Nighthawk CAX80 Release Date?

@jefflynn333 wrote:

When will we get a chance to purchase the new Nighthawk CAX80? IS there plans for a CAX1200? Plans for a larger multi-gig port for cable modems like 5-Gig or 10-Gig?

A lot of the issues with timelines with combo devices is the certification from the ISP's. And they're never in a hurry. Netgear won't release it until at least 1 ISP has certified it. 

And Netgear doesn't release future plans on products. 

Message 2 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 39
P3667J34n
Aspirant

Spectrum has approved it for Internet tiers up to 1G.  Looking forward to availability.

Model: Dual Band
Message 4 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Message 5 of 39
jefflynn333
Aspirant

Message 6 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. 

Message 7 of 39
tjsage
Aspirant

I have the same question. It says coming soon. How soon?

Message 8 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

When NG releases it to market. 

Message 9 of 39
BeeDawg
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  that's the question - any ideas when NG will release to market? 
Message 10 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

No info yet.

Message 11 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 39
Tim49
Aspirant

Is there a new release date? Being April 13, 2020 it's well past the mid-January anticipated release date.
The above reply says the CAX80 will be released when at least one ISP has certified it. Spectrum (considered an ISP?) has certified it for up to a 1 gigabit connection- see screenshot and page is https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

Tim
Message 13 of 39
plemans
Guru

I think xfinity, sparklight, spectrum have all added it to their list. Now its probably gotta get through the last stages of testing that its been added. Hopefully not long!

Message 14 of 39
tmrqs
Guide

The CAX80 showed up on Best Buy a few days ago:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-ax6000-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/6398057.p?skuId=6...

Doesn’t necessarily mean much, but the RAX50 showed up on Best Buy a little over 3 weeks before it became actually available for purchase - and it’s still on pre-order on Netgear.com.

The other thing is that someone responded on the availability question on BB, and mentioned issues about the CAX80 overheating and losing connection.
Any testers here can chime in about this?
Message 15 of 39
plemans
Guru

The other thing is that someone responded on the availability question on BB, and mentioned issues about the CAX80 overheating and losing connection.

If testers are on here, to comment would break NDA and probably get them in trouble with netgear. Kind of would be pointless for them, wouldn't it? 

Same as making comments about gear on BB that would be in testing. There's a point to beta testing and its usually to fix those types of issues. 

Message 16 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I highly doubt that there would be any heat issues. That would need to be proven first off. There are other factors that can contribut to loss of connection, not just heat releated. 

Also as a suggestion, anyone using a router or modem router or modem for matter of fact, can always put a laptop cooler fan under there routers or modems and help extend the life of the electronics. Electronics over a long period of time will degrade some with heat. Nature of the beast. I keep a laptop fan under any router I use. 

@tmrqs wrote:
The CAX80 showed up on Best Buy a few days ago:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-ax6000-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/6398057.p?skuId=6...

Doesn’t necessarily mean much, but the RAX50 showed up on Best Buy a little over 3 weeks before it became actually available for purchase - and it’s still on pre-order on Netgear.com.

Message 17 of 39
tmrqs
Guide

That is very true, that one comment on Best Buy did not provide a lot of details.

Making sure to keep devices cool is a sound reminder.
Both my modem and router (just as my Xbox, AVR and others) are in well ventilated areas, helps with durability and silence. 🙂
Message 18 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I see the other questions posted and answered. The one answer about the CAX working with the Orbi AX is not correct. Smiley Sad

Anyways, if you want or need information, come to the forums and ask official NG support directly. Review user manuals and the spec sheets. You'll be fine.

Message 19 of 39
Spatch
Aspirant

Another month, now civil unrest in top of covid. I’d be shocked if the answer was yes but I’ll ask: anyone heard anything on a date yet? I saw bestbuy pulled the cax80 from its online store that’s probably not a good sign lol
Message 20 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing yet. 

Message 21 of 39
tmrqs
Guide

It is now available for pre-order on Netgear.com, release date July 2nd!

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

Best Buy hasn't added it back to their website just yet.

Message 22 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Message 23 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Is a date shown on this page or did you get it from a different location? 

@tmrqs wrote:

It is now available for pre-order on Netgear.com, release date July 2nd!

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

Best Buy hasn't added it back to their website just yet.

Message 24 of 39
tmrqs
Guide

The date is shown on the page, right under the price ($429.99).

Screenshot attached below. 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 4.50.50 PM.png

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7