Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Night Hawk C7000 Download Light blinking poor speeds

Night Hawk C7000 Download Light blinking poor speeds

I have a C7000 Nighthawk modem router combo thats about 11 months old and I had my sister buy one that was about a month an half old at this point.  about 2 weeks ago out of the blue my internet dropped out and went to hell and i noticed my download light blinking.  I was only getting like 2mb down connection and leaking packets like a siv and my sisters was doing the same (she lives behind me).  I had my isp come out and the replaced all the lines and did a new drop off the pole for me and fixed some issues.  Alas this did not fix my issue.  I had tried everything from soft resets to hard resets from my isp I had factory reset it as well.  Every time it would come up and cycle and cycle and cycle and take forever to grab a stable ish signal.  The logs showed packet drop and some signal interference.  So the tech hooked up one of their modems and Arris surfboard and my internet has been fine ever since.  My nighthawk is still hooked up because the tech wanted to monitor it.  After that day it sit with the download and upload light but no internet.  I restarted it recently to see if maybe by some miracle it had fixed it self, but it hasnt it went back to the download light flashing.  I am outside my return window for Amazon and way out side the help windo for netgear support.  I'm just dissapointed in my very expensive and highly raved about router/combo not even making it a year.  Has any one else had these issues?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

If it was just 1 device doing it, I'd be more inclined to suspect hardware failure. 

but if both of your devices are, I'd be looking at the lines/boxes. I know they've been out to inspect the line but it could be a box/cmts causing the issue.

Isp's have been switching to docsis 3.1 devices that use a different channel versus the C7000 is a docsis 3.0 device. 

so the modem they installed could be a 3.1 device and allowing the downstream connection on a different channel.

Plus it could be programed to connect on different channels. 

so while it might be running fine, the ones your modem is one could be having signal issues. 

do you have a screen snip of the c7000's cable connections page and the event logs? 

Message 2 of 17

My ISP is old and doesnt have the 3.1 standard.  They actually recently got bought out by Spectrum and I will be switching to them at some point in the next 6 months or so hopefully.  They did more then inspect the line, they ran brand new lines all the way to my house.  Unfortuanetly I am no longer connected to that modem since there modem is working fine and i need stable internet for work.  I could swap my ethernet cord over to the nighthawk when i get off work in a few hours and try and grab a pic of the logs i should have saved the one from the other day.  But it is odd for mine to do it as well as my sisters with hers only being a few weeks old.

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

@IhateNetworking wrote:

But it is odd for mine to do it as well as my sisters with hers only being a few weeks old.

Agreed, which makes me think more of a line/junction/cmts issue than a router issue. 

What arris did they replace it with? 

You might be surprised with the docsis 3.1 device. the jump from docsis 3.0 to 3.1 was fairly cheap in comparision to going from 2.0 to 3.0 or even to the newer 4.0 service (when it comes)

Message 4 of 17

They replaced it with an Arris surfboard DG2460a.  I wish they would support 3.1 because before i bought the c7000 i had a different nighthawk modem cause i have a nighthawk gaming router and that modem had 3.1 but they could never get it to work so i eventually just ended up using the c7000 as the modem/router.  When i get spectrum I should be able to use 3.1 but i have no idea when there going to build out to me since they just acquired my isp like 2-3 weeks ago.

Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

that's a pretty base model modem they installed. 

the C7000 is more capable and has more modem channels. 

It could be that since the C7000 connects to more channels, that the ones its starting/ending on are the ones causing issues. 

tough to know. 

Message 6 of 17

Yea this isp was all about cheap on all their hard ware charging outrages prices and terrible quality.  I want my nighthawk to work I know its better and i paid alot for it.  I am going to try and swap back over to it with my pc when i get off work and grab a shot at the logs for some one to look at since its still active I just cant right now since i need stable internet for work.

Message 7 of 17
plemans
Guru

when you do connect it back up, move your modem to right where their coax line enters the home and connect here. 

Make sure there isn't any splitters, amplifiers, signal attenuators connected. 

I'm doubting its the line in the home since it happened to both yours and your sisters but can't rule it out. 

Message 8 of 17

Ok I unplugged the splitter and plugged the line straight into the night hawk so here is the logs and stuff i grabbed.

Message 9 of 17

Message 10 of 17

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

You have a few channels not locking, one channel with a lot of errors, and only 1 upstream channel locking. If your sisters is the same, it'd be a line issue. 

(you put the logs and not the event logs, logs are from the router side) 

Message 12 of 17

I have no idea about my sisters she done took hers back to walmart and got her money back.  I also just grabbed what I could find.  It could be the lines but they just replaced them all and my internet is working perfect on their cheap modem/router so idk im just frustrated i spent over 200 and it didnt make it a year.

Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

Again, betting its not a hardware issue but a line issue. but your isp isn't going to fix it because "their" device works. Until it doesn't

Message 14 of 17

While there is a very good chance this is true.  I still dont understand how the cheap one is working fine after all my lines was replaced and my nighthawk which is suppoesed to be better is still **bleep**ting the bed.  It honestly makes me have very little faith in buying netgear again.  I am by no means a networking guru all I know is from what I google and just plug it in and hope it works.  Thank you every one that has tried to help me, but saying its in the lines when all the lines to my house where replaced save it for the main lines (which will be replaced when spectrum builds out) doesnt help me when there cheap modem hooked back in fine and is working fine for the most part other then the speeds are a bit slower then my nighthawk but not bad enough to notice.  As it is i have a 200$+ paperweight and honestly dont know if I'll ever buy another netgear product.

Message 15 of 17
plemans
Guru

Problem is the isp's firmware/provisioning is the one that sets what channels/frequency to use. 

Yours has issues on the line as seen by your cable connections page. 

they might have theirs setup to ignore those frequencies so users have to use their equipement. 

Its not something netgear can control. 

Message 16 of 17

So just out of the blue after almost a year of working it some how switched onto that frequency and is now barely working?  Thats what is hard for me to understand it had worked fine other then when we had isp probelms then boom all of a sudden this happened it just doesnt make sense to me.  I can't get rid of it so I am going to try it when I get spectrum, but i dont have alot of confidence in it now and dont want to have to go through this in the future.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7