Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 7000 router/cable modem combo unit - TV will not connect

rlsquires
Aspirant

Nighthawk 7000 router/cable modem combo unit - TV will not connect

I have Samsung and Sony web enabled TVs. Neither one will connect to the router using WPS or mt network password. I've rebooted, restarted etc. My home network shows but the TVs won't connect. Hours trying everything. All other devices (PC, TTbalet, phone, Printer) connect fine.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk 7000 router/cable modem combo unit - TV will not connect

The r7000 is a router only unit. 

What is the MFr and model of the ISP modem that the R7000 connects too?

Are you sure the TV is connecting to the R7000 or your ISP modem if the modem has a router built in? 

Disable Security on the R7000 temporarily then see if the TV will connect to the R7000 router. Besure to set a unique SSID name on both radios on the R7000 and they should be different. If the TV connects with out security on the R7000, re-enable security on the R7000 and set WPA2 and AES only or try WPA and TPIK only.

Message 2 of 10

@rlsquires wrote:

I have Samsung and Sony web enabled TVs. Neither one will connect to the router using WPS or mt network password

Past experience, and the fact that all your other wifi stuff works, suggests that these things may be down to the settings on the "smart" devices, most of which are incredibly dumb.

Tell people what model TVs these are and maybe they can point you in the right direction.

In my case I abandoned wifi and use Powerline plugs to create a LAN connection,  much more reliable and easier to set up.

If your devices have LAN sockets, then you should check their settings to see that they are not trying to use that to connect.

Message 3 of 10
rlsquires
Aspirant

The full unit name is C7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router. I have no ISP equipment from Spectrum/Time Warner given I have my own combined unit. I gave my network (for 2.4 and 5 GHz channles) unique names different from the old network. Tried with and without security on both channels. The TVs see the networks but wont connect with WPS nor the normal password connect approach. I've also rebooted both with the control admin page and turned off the power for a hard reboot.

All my other devices connect fine: PC, laptops, ipad, iphones, HP printer, and Wink Hub. Only the Wink HUB is connected by cable to the router.

I fairy technical and understand networking. This is puzzling and I'm at the point of returning the unit, although it's a hassle for sure.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try another unit, or use a modem only and get a external actual router only unit. It's preferred to use a modem only with your ISP and then connect a router only unit. 

Seems like maybe a compatibility issue between the C7000 and your TVs if they won't connect even with security disabled. 

Try something else. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 10

We still do not know what models these smart devices are.

Message 6 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Tried totally manual set up? If you use WPS method, right after you initiate WPS from TV end, you have enalbe WPS button in the router.

Your TV sees your SSID >> tried to connect >> passphrase is asked >> you enter right passphrase >> TV should connect. If not connecting,

what is the error message? Is the TV set dual band capable or only uses 2.4GHz band? Trie either band?

Message 7 of 10
rlsquires
Aspirant

I updated the Samsung TV firmware and that fixed the issue. Now to do same on the Sony TV. Thanks all.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the update worked. Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 10

As expected, nothing to do with the router, just a stupid "smart" device.

Let's hope Sony is on the case.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7