Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 7800 & Virgin Superhub 3

Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Nighthawk 7800 & Virgin Superhub 3

Hi all,

I've had this issue now since I hooked up the Nighthawk and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue.

I have the Virgin Media superhub 3 (which is in modem mode) connected to my Nighthawk 7800. Everything appears to work fine, all connected devices have a great connection to the internet until an exact time of the week. It appears the the Nighthawk is requesting a new lease from the modem every 7 days. 80% of the time when it does this it doesnt "fully" reconnect to the internet. To explain further it appears that wifi connected devices cannot establish and internet connection but wired ones can, odd! Restarting the router fixes this issue. 

Now it was my understanding that when in modem mode the superhub would just pass the internet to the router, which it seems to kinda do but with a lease that expires every 7 days (please note that the lease the modem has with virgin media has not expired since i set the device up, so its not like VM are requesting new leases). 

I've tried a few things:

Asking VM if they need to whitelist the device/mac of the router (they just did a restart at their end <rolls eyes>)
telling the router to use the modems mac address

telling the router to use one of my devices mac address

restarting both devices in different combinations

Yet nothing has resolved the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk 7800 & Virgin Superhub 3

I understand SHv3 is device leased by VM and manufactured by Arris. 

#1. when the device is in Modem modem, please make ONLY and ONLY R7800 is attached to it since Virgin Media would set MAX_CPE=1 in the DOCSIS config file (I assume you are already doing this)

#2. you need to figure out, whether modem DHCP lease is expiring or Router's WAN IP DHCP lease is expiring. 

#3. you mentioned wired devices have internet access but wireless do not. You may want to check ping and traceroute on wired and wireless devices when this happens to see and compare both the responses.

#4. Alternatively, you can try setting NightHawk in AP mode (not desirable) but atleast see if you can run beyond 7 days.

btw, this is Cable Modem Forum, you may want to post on Router forum as well.

Message 2 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

#1. when the device is in Modem modem, please make ONLY and ONLY R7800 is attached to it since Virgin Media would set MAX_CPE=1 in the DOCSIS config file (I assume you are already doing this).

Yes. I can confirm that only the router is connected to the SHv3. Only one port is active on the SHv3 hub when it is in modem mode.

#2. you need to figure out, whether modem DHCP lease is expiring or Router's WAN IP DHCP lease is expiring. 

I believe it is the Router's WAN IP DHCP lease that is expiring. Is there a way to extend this?

#3. you mentioned wired devices have internet access but wireless do not. You may want to check ping and traceroute on wired and wireless devices when this happens to see and compare both the responses.

I'll look into this on Wednesday when the lease renews 😕

#4. Alternatively, you can try setting NightHawk in AP mode (not desirable) but atleast see if you can run beyond 7 days.

I've considered this but like you say its not disirable. 

It sounds like you might be right in saying it might be the routers wan thats lease is expiring. Do you know how to extend this time?

Message 3 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Lease time is decided by Virgin Media as they are the one who issued the DHCP IP. 

router cannot increase the lease. when the T1/T2 timer expires, Router is supposed to renew the lease.

Message 4 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Hi thank you for your reply.

The router does renew the lease automatically but after it renews access to the Internet is not fully restored. WiFi connected devices have no Internet access but the wired devices do.

Possibly a faulty router?
Message 5 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

If only WIFI devices loose internet access after period, then it looks like a SW bug most likely. I am not from the router group but I can check with someone if you are interested in debugging this problem. Let me know. I dont control router group activities and priorities but I can certainly ask. 

Message 6 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

That would be great, thank you. The lease expires again in 30 hours time. I'll be able to get the log from the router then, maybe that will help
Message 7 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

I've had the issue once again but this time i knew it was coming,  set an alarm to prompt me to log into the router at the time the lease reknewed.

The log shows that the internet disconnects and then it shows 

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] 

and does not come back up until you manually attempt to reconnect to the internet. Could there be a device on my network thats preventing the connection coming back up? 

assitionally manually release / renewing the lease works fine. Its just when its due to do it automatically that is fails. 

Message 8 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

please go to routerlogin.net/debug.htm and start capturing the logs before the issue happens and send me the logs.

Please enable packet capture as well (over USB). 

Message 9 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Sorry about the late reply. I was unable to capture the logging as requested earlier in the week. The next time the issue will occur is now 7 days from today. I will ensure that i log the information this time. 

Message 10 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

yes, please. 

Message 11 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Hi again.
Whilst we are waiting for my logs [should have these on Tuesday], I've been in contact with virgin media and they have provided the following information:

VM do not renew on a Bootp flags Unicast by Unicast packet only on a Bootp flags Unicast or broadcast by broadcast packet.

Does this help?

They are currently suggesting that the router might not be requesting a renewal correctly
Message 12 of 14
Pixelcathode
Aspirant

Okay I have the debug log zip. Is there a secure way to send you the file.
Message 13 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Private message me all the files. That way, it will come just to me. 

If you cannot for some reason, just PM me your email ID. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7