Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router

NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Cox has flagged my modem: Service Interrupted; can't identify problem; my unit firmware matches Cox.

Problem: connection fails or lags periodically for several minutes at a time; Cox reports no trouble on line but reports bad signal from my modem or line.  Only indication i have that there might be a problem with my modem is the continuous downstream and somtimes upstream scanning lights flashing.  Continuous scanning; Unable to find any diagnostic or troubleshooting documentation to address this.  Does anyone else have this problem on the Cox network and/or is my unit bad?  Help!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Problem resolved; the problem was "Cox ISP" or the line connection somewhere.  Questioned: No details or explanation given for periodic outage and continual scanning for downstream and upstream channels or the continuous error log reporting from my Netgear Nighthawk.  All i know is, it wasn't my Modem/router as continually pointed out and suspected from Cox ISP support end.  Two technicians were out again yesterday morning and when i got out of the shower, the problem was resolved.  Cox won't admit there lack of support online or over the phone, but needless online chat and phone support calls were never acknowledged.  Thank you Cox ISP support for the last three weeks of disturbances on my line. 😞

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
William10a
Master

@NikkeeLasVegas wrote:

Cox has flagged my modem: Service Interrupted; can't identify problem; my unit firmware matches Cox.

Problem: connection fails or lags periodically for several minutes at a time; Cox reports no trouble on line but reports bad signal from my modem or line.  Only indication i have that there might be a problem with my modem is the continuous downstream and somtimes upstream scanning lights flashing.  Continuous scanning; Unable to find any diagnostic or troubleshooting documentation to address this.  Does anyone else have this problem on the Cox network and/or is my unit bad?  Help!

The isp controlls the firmware placed on a cable modem in your postings device number it is called a r7000 which is a router only so it must be a c7000 if on a coax cable service or a d7000 if on a phone line based service. Can you log into the modem and view its logs and chack its signal levels from the isp service, as a tv cable or phone line could cause problems as far as the firmware version goes your isp is the only one who can update or change settings for their own needs.

Message 2 of 9
NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C7000-100NAS)

Thanks for your follow up:  Cox is trying to get me to elevate my tier to faster speeds; I don't need because i am not a gamer.  I do utilize my WiFi with my Cell, Ooma phone, printer and Smart TV's (Trying to keep it low cost with the ISP).  There is a new firmware update out there, but Cox has not released it yet.  They are sending a technician out tomorrow to check the signal from the ground box to my house box; blah blah blah, be there done that.  Hopefully they will find the problem on the line and fess up to it.  Cox's tactics for sales and upgrades is an ongoing issue here in Las Vegas along with Century Link; always pushing bundled service packages i don't need or want.  I think this is the ploy and also trying to get me to sign up for a monthly service plan to cover internet issues. -LOL-  Cox and Century Link have the market wrapped up here; not much competition here for basic internet services; there is competition for premium T1 and/or fiber, but who can afford the service unless you are a business. 😞 

Message 3 of 9
William10a
Master

They want you to rent a modem /router from them since the lack of support by isp's for modems made by other then the one they want you to use is common. Arris seems to the most common make used by cable companies in parts of Florida and possible other locations.

Message 4 of 9
NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

All channels, 16 downstream and 4 upstream are functional with good signal strength.  Downstream is flagged "Limited" on both my Netgear unit and Cox  online.  I believe it's because of the ISP's config and firmware and not my modem.  If it ends up being my modem, which i doubt very much, i will replace it with a newer dual band and not rent one.  The attached list of accepted Cox Cable modems is huge!  

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

Message 5 of 9
William10a
Master

It could be the firmware on the modem but is the problem even if Netgear has new firmware for  the modem the isp has to install it and some do not support every Netgear modem now and since it is not theirs they will not update it sometimes the same reason that you have to a cable box for a tv to receive tv channels you must pay a rental fee to use theirs.

Message 6 of 9
stjannifer
Aspirant

Any kind of solution regarding to netgear router setup checkout mywifiext

Thank u

Message 7 of 9
NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

I have no problem with WiFi range signal to accessories connected by WiFi, Desktop is connected to the ethernet port (hardwired) to the dual band C7000 modem/router.  I am receiving limited access from Cox downstream and sometimes upstream and I also lose signal entirely for about 5-10 minutes at a time periodically.  My modem is continuously logging critcal errors from the ISP, yet I have internet.  It seems i have onsite service tomorrow to check outside line from my end backwards to Cox.  The warranty on my Nighthawk is over, so i might have to buy a new unit to validate the line issue after service.  Cox keeps trying to sell me additional products; hardware; maintenance plan, upgrade service, bundle packages and now Panoramic WiFi, which is just another sales ploy.  Thanks though for your post.

Message 8 of 9
NikkeeLasVegas
Aspirant

Problem resolved; the problem was "Cox ISP" or the line connection somewhere.  Questioned: No details or explanation given for periodic outage and continual scanning for downstream and upstream channels or the continuous error log reporting from my Netgear Nighthawk.  All i know is, it wasn't my Modem/router as continually pointed out and suspected from Cox ISP support end.  Two technicians were out again yesterday morning and when i got out of the shower, the problem was resolved.  Cox won't admit there lack of support online or over the phone, but needless online chat and phone support calls were never acknowledged.  Thank you Cox ISP support for the last three weeks of disturbances on my line. 😞

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7