Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 C7000 Modem/Router Intermittent Slow Speeds

Rico549
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 C7000 Modem/Router Intermittent Slow Speeds

I've purchased 400mbps cable internet from Spectrum. 

I bought a brand new Nighthawk AC1900 (C7000) WiFi Cable Modem Router with built-in DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem which should be more than capable of handling the speeds I am receiving from Spectrum. 

Initial Install/Setup: I had a Spectrum Technician come to my home to set up and install my equipment. The technician unboxed the AC1900 and set everything up properly; everything was in great working condition initially. I used speedtest.net and verified my download speeds at ~350-450 mbps depending on the location I had set. 

Problem: About 4 days ago, I noticed some significant lag while playing video games on my PC (which is connected through ethernet cable). I used speedtest.net and found that my download speed had dropped to less than 10 mbps (that's not a typo). I've had bad ethernet cables before that caused similar issues, so I tested again while connected through WiFi; same results. 

Spectrum Service: I called Spectrum to set up diagnostics. Over the phone, I was told that I was experiencing "Packet Loss" which was "likely due to a corroded cable or something like that," and, "We definitely want to send a technician out to investigate." The technician came last night and ran initial tests showing that the signal for 400mbps going to the AC1900 was good. He did go ahead check all of the connections up to that point as well and determined that everything was good there after replacing a few fittings. Once he finished all that, he again tested the signal going to the AC1900 and determined that everything on the Spectrum side of things was in order. Being a Spectrum employee, he was unfamiliar with foreign equipment and was unable to diagnose an issue with the AC1900. He recommended renting Spectrum equipment as he would be able to do much more work with those. 

My Thoughts: If I have to, I will rent Spectrum equipment for $5/month. However, after investing $190 in a new AC1900, I feel I should explore my options here first. In the title of this post I mention that the slow speeds are intermittent. That means that sometimes my internet download speeds are fine; testing at 350+ mbps. However, it is normally testing less at less than 20 mbps. The only thing I have left out so far is that the first time I noticed slow speeds coincides with the first time it has rained since starting service. This could just be a coincidence. 

Does anyone have any steps or proposals to solve this problem?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

do you have a picture of your connections page when its going slow? Take a screen snip of the upload and downloads page. It only shows us a snip in time when you took it but it can help.

another thing to check is if it started when it rained, water within coax cables can cause issues. Just replacing the end of the cable isn't going to fix the issue as the moisture is still within the cable. 

Your post was a little unclear if the problem returned after the technician visited. 

If it did, how frequently is it happening?

Another thing you can check is if you just bought the C7000, you have 90 days of free support. maybe you got a bad device. If you're within that 90 days, I'd open a support case. to do that go to the top and click mynetgear.  Register an account and then your device. From there you'll be able to access support. 

Message 2 of 3
Rico549
Aspirant

Hi there. 

Last night I was able to install the Spectrum equipment (3.1 Modem and Wave 2 Router is what they call them). I used the internet for approximately 3 hours and checked speeds periodically. I was consistently seeing 400+ mbps down and 20+ mbps up. I will continue this through the weekend and keep an eye out for any packet loss like what I was seeing with the AC1900. If I don't see any issues between now and Monday, then I will assume that there is some issue with my unit whether it is hardware, configuration, or whatever else. 

"do you have a picture of your connections page when its going slow? Take a screen snip of the upload and downloads page. It only shows us a snip in time when you took it but it can help."

->I will grab a screenshot of this for you once I switch back to the AC1900. Good idea. 

"Your post was a little unclear if the problem returned after the technician visited. 

If it did, how frequently is it happening?"

->Apologies; the problem did return after the technician visited. The frequency of occurrences remained the same. It was seemingly random still. 

"Another thing you can check is if you just bought the C7000, you have 90 days of free support. maybe you got a bad device."

-> I am well-within those 90 days. It is a possibility that I have a bad device. I will definitely be using that service. Thank you for your tips and suggestions so far!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7