Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Router (C7000v2) no internet with PtP wireless bridge

TerryYaki
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Router (C7000v2) no internet with PtP wireless bridge

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to see if anyone knows what is going wrong with my router.

I am using 2 ubiquiti Nanobeam 5AC Gen 2 units to form a wireless bridge to get internet at a second location while using this Nighthawk AC1900 Router (C7000v2) router.

The problem is that whenever I connect them it causes the internet to drop. I have the access point mode and station mode units connecting via dhcp forming the bridge and the access point is plugged directly into ethernet port 1 on the router. They get assigned IP addresses of 192,168.0.13 and 192.168.0.14 and the router is 192.168.0.1.

For a little bit everything works well but after about maybe a half hour no devices have internet, just drops out of nowhere. The nanobeams, other wifi devices connected directly to the router and even other devices plugged into the ethernet ports on the router, none have internet.

The only thing that fixes it is when I unplug the nanobeam from the router and then power cycle the router. I have used these devices with other routers with no issues, so I'm thinking it has to be something with this particular router.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

I've never used them but have you checked with Ubiquiti to see if there's a setting that needs to be changed to get them working with a netgear router?
Message 2 of 13
TerryYaki
Aspirant

I have checked, but no one seems to know. It does appear that the Nighthawk router is the issue to me because I tested it with a different router and everything worked perfectly. Simply plugging in one of those nanobeams takes down the internet, not even forming the link yet or having anything else plugged into the router.

The thing is that via DHCP or static IP address the results are the same. These nanobeams should work with the settings I put in them, they're on the same network as the router and they have the router as the default gateway.

Is there a way to assign a different subnet or guest network to the lan port that I can plug that ubiquiti nanobeam into? Maybe that would would work.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

any chance its the POE? 

have you tried it with just the poe injector connected but not hooked to the ubiquiti

Message 4 of 13
TerryYaki
Aspirant

No I have not tried that yet. I will be trying that this weekend. Lots of troubleshooting this weekend because theres no reason why this shouldn't be working (but clearly there is) and making me lose what little sanity I have left. I also got a response from Ubiquiti staff saying that all my settings for the devices are correct, it has to be something with this router.

This isn't the first time I've had quirky things happen with these all in one units either, it's just that what is actually happening is a bit beyond my level of comprehension.

Why would simply plugging an access point into an ethernet port on that router cause everything to lose internet? Even LAN drops and I am unable to access the router with a laptop plugged into ethernet.

Is it possible that since the access point is generating a wireless network that it's somehow competing with the wireless network that the router is generating?

Message 5 of 13
antinode
Guru

Disclaimer: I have no experience with these Nanobeam gizmos, so I
know nothing, and I offer no advice on your problem.  But...

> Why would simply plugging an access point into an ethernet port on
> that router cause everything to lose internet? [...]

One possible explanation would be that something on your extended
network is using a duplicate IP address.  If you have another device at
the same address as the (modem+)router ("192.168.0.1"?), then all kinds
of bad behavior might be expected.

> Is it possible that [...]

I'd worry more about IP fundamentals, rather than wireless anything.

But what do I know?

Message 6 of 13
TerryYaki
Aspirant

I'm positive there are no duplicate IP addresses on the network.

I decided to try disabling the router function on the nighthawk and replace it by connecting it to a ubiquiti edgerouter I had laying around to see if that would change anything. The same problem happens, everything works perfectly fine until the moment I plug in one of those nanobeams to the router.

When I disable the router on the nighthawk, it should be just a simple modem like any other one right? No special hidden little trick somewhere?

I took all the equipment home to try on my home network where it was previously working and sure enough everything is working fine with the nanobeam plugged into my edgerouter. The only difference between both networks is the nighthawk. I'm about to just toss this thing and buy something else.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct, when you disable the router on the modem, it will be just a modem only. 

Message 8 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

have you tried to set a static IP for your nano* AP and setup a reservation IP on the nighthawk under advance LAN settings. ( would help to prevent Dup IP problems). Sounds like a conflict with router to router, then fighting to comm to modem. what message's  or indicator lights do you get when you plug  AP in ?

Message 9 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

check the Event log on the nighthawk, should show conflicts,erros, and with time stamps on logs you may see a pattern

Message 10 of 13
TerryYaki
Aspirant

Ok I’ll check the log, and yes I have tried that with static IPs but it’s the same issue. It happens even when I disable router mode on the nighthawk and use it as just a modem with a different router attached to it. Because of that it makes me think that the modem portion of the nighthawk is where the problem is at, which doesn’t make much sense to me. That’s the only thing left though.
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 12 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

how did the weekend go ??? did some research being new to the nighthawk myself.. possible problem could be that the two router functions are duplicating.. try setting up the

nighthawk throught ethernet port via laptop as your ( only ) DHCP sever 192.168.x1, set IP Reservation to 192.168.x.20 then disconnect nighthawk, plug in the nanobeam via laptop  Disable the DHCP service on the nanobeam and set a static IP to 192.168.x.2  then Apply / reboot / whatever, but leave off / disconnect nano*... plug laptop into nighthawk, have laptop run ipconfig /all   to see IP addressing is good, internet, good.   Run a constant ping 192.168.x.1 -t   and when all is good, plug in nano* router to back LAN port on nighthawk and see if ping drops. if not then see if you can ping the nano* 192.168.x.2  don't forget to set the SSID differently... you should have best of both worlds

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7