Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC3200 C7800 - Wireless settings either not saving or if they do they reset to default

Task-DL
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC3200 C7800 - Wireless settings either not saving or if they do they reset to default

Hello,

Want to start using my Ac3200 C7800 as a wireless router with ORB units.

Enable by button onthe front the Wireless - lights come on for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Disable the WPS by button on front - never have liked WPS, too unsecure.

Log ito Modem/Router web interface.

Change 2.4Ghz SSID name and password for security.

Click Apply.

Setting seems to change but on main Dashboard screen in Wireless section still shows original 2.4 SSID and password.

Go back to Wireless setting in both Basic and Advanced and it shows what I changed it to.

Connect through a wireless device (iPhone and Dell Latitude) to the SSID I changed it to.

Then go back to router and enable and change 5Ghz SSID and password.

Click Apply.

After I go back into Wireless settings and the changes have not saved and are still the original settings.

Router Dashbaord Wirelss section shows 2.4Ghz now to what I changed the SSID nd password to.

Try setting the 5Ghz up again with different SSID and password.

Click Apply.

Go back to Dashboard and now it shows in Wireless section 2.4Ghz set back to original.

Go back to Wireless settings in both Basic and Advanced.

5Ghz setting again did not set and save and are still original but now also 2.4Ghz has reset to original settings.

Router is at latest Firmware V3.01.43 - Xfinity/Comcast connection.

I have tried several SEVERAL times setting first the 5Ghz then the 2.4Ghz and the outcome is still the same, always reverts back to original default settings.

The only thing I have not tried so far is factory default and resetup.

Before I do I wanted to post this and see if anyone else has come across this issue befoer and if so how did they solve it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

DL

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC3200 C7800 - Wireless settings either not saving or if they do they reset to defaul

The C series modem isn't compatible with Orbi systems. 

Your best bet would be to set the C series modem to disable router mode, running it in modem only mode, then connect your Orbi system to the modem. The Orbi wifi system is way better than the C series modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC3200 C7800 - Wireless settings either not saving or if they do they reset to defaul

The C series modem isn't compatible with Orbi systems. 

Your best bet would be to set the C series modem to disable router mode, running it in modem only mode, then connect your Orbi system to the modem. The Orbi wifi system is way better than the C series modem. 

Message 2 of 9
Task-DL
Aspirant

FURRYe38,

Thanks for the information, will go that route.

To set C7800 in Modem only mode is there a setting box for that or just disable all Wireless settings and press button on front of device?

Thanks again.

DL

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, look for router mode under Advanced tab. Select No.
Message 4 of 9
Task-DL
Aspirant

FURRYe38 - Strange as I do not see that setting at all on my modem.

Please see attached screenshots.

Would you happen to know why I would not have that setting?

Thanks in advance.

DL

Message 5 of 9
Task-DL
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Look undert NAT Mode. It will be there. 

Message 7 of 9
Task-DL
Aspirant

All I have is Turn NAT On/Off

See attached.

I have walked carefully thorugh every setting and do not see that option.

DL

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes NAT ON is setting the C7800 to router mode. NAT OFF means modem only. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7