Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Firmware Update

ZeroC00l
Luminary

Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Firmware Update

Hello, I am very disappointed in this product. For one, I spent $200.00 for this product. Not only that, it's a faulty router, the router is stuck on Region Europe. It can't be set, nor changed. Also for some reason when I download something off the internet, I cannot transfer over the LAN. It's slow to a crawl. I have to wait until one or the other gets done.

Last but not least, I cannot update the firmware, which I think is a bunch of crap. Do to the fact I PAID FOR IT, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.

For years I had the DGND3700 v2 for my DSL, it worked great. I updated my own firmware unlike I can do with my current one.

I have Firmware Version: V1.01.15

by going here I see this,

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Which is a crock of crap because my ISP told me that they don't have the tools, nor the firmware to update my unit as they don't support it.

They stated they only supprt devices that they give their customers not ones like mine that are bought. So what gives.

I tend to agree with my ISP, and why would they support a device that they don't give their customers. I bought my own.

I question Netgear, what can't I upgrade something I bought with my own money? What's the real reason? You can't simply say you ISP has to, and you can't simply say we don't support it.

It's bullcrap, because my DSL DGND3700v2 I could.

And if Netgear says our ISP has to, then why is it, every supervisior and management I talk to say they don't have the tools to, which I believe them.

So did you Netgear give them the tools and firmware needed?

So what gives? Makes me wish I would have never bought a Netgear, rather a ASUS.

This is what my ISP said.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, my name is Haydee T. How may I help you?

Your Live Chat Input 4.
hello Haydee I hope you can

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 7.
Yes/

Your Live Chat Input 8.
i am at a delima here, I bought a new Netgear c1700 ac1900 cable modem router

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 9.
Ok.

Your Live Chat Input 10.
after reading your support page, it said it will work, and it does, works great

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 13.
Ok, I'm glad to hear that.

Your Live Chat Input 16.
however there are some bug on that router, one is the router is locked on the region for wifi for Europe

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 17.
I see.

Your Live Chat Input 18.
i am in the US

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 19.
I would absolutely be more than happy to assist you with your router inquiries.

Your Live Chat Input 20.
so i contacted Netgear, I asked for a firmware

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 21.
Ok.

Your Live Chat Input 23.
they said they dont do firmware upgrades, only your ISP does, O.O

Your Live Chat Input 25.
i am like oooooook

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 26.
I do apologize in order to update the firmware you would have to access the equipment and check for new firm wares.

Your Live Chat Input 27.
i said, this is a netgear problem, not spectrum / ISP LOL

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 28.
Correct.

Your Live Chat Input 30.
they kept aruging with me

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 32.
I'm so sorry to hear thaht.

Your Live Chat Input 34.
so i said, i'll contact my ISP, but i dont see where it's their responsibility

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 36.
I understand.

Your Live Chat Input 37.
so I am in a real bind

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 38.
My advice would be to try to log into the equipment and see if there's a firmware upgrade available.

Your Live Chat Input 40.
i have a buggy router, and they don't want to help, and this is a nice router, a nighthawk

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 42.
I see.

Your Live Chat Input 43.
yes there is

Your Live Chat Input 46.
but

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 49.
Ok.

Your Live Chat Input 51.
1 sec ill show you

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 53.
OK.

Your Live Chat Input 54.
https://kb.netgear.com/###-##-####/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-m...

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 55.
I do apologize I am unable to open links.

Your Live Chat Input 57.
If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware. The following table displays the latest firmware versions of NETGEAR cable modems or modem routers:

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 60.
I see.

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 66.
As you mentioned before I do apologize, we have no control over the equipment's firmware or how it is updated.

Your Live Chat Input 69.
so what the heck do i do?

Your Live Chat Input 70.
i spent 200.00 for this modem lol

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 72.
I would advice you to try to find some information online as to see if it helps you unlock the equipment. I do know nighthawks are really nice. So I agree with you.

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 74.
I'm not sure if you have already but you can access their site and see if there's additional information needed. http://kbserver.netgear.com/main.asp

Your Live Chat Input 75.
well another thing, i called Netgear, and they told me, that the ISP pushes the firmware

Your Live Chat Input 76.
they said they have a different team, not your normal tech support but the field techs are the ones that push it?

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 78.
One moment please.

Your Live Chat Input 79.
ok thanks hehe

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 80.
Thank you.

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 82.
I have checked this information with our leadership and we are the support department for anything that has to do with internet, as I mentioned before we have very limited access to the information from the equipment.

Your Live Chat Input 86.
wow

Your Live Chat Input 87.
so someone is lying

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 88.
We would have to have access to the internals of the equipment to do this, and as I said we can reset the equipment, and see the basic signals, and model, etc.

Your Live Chat Input 89.
right

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 90.
But that is the most we are able to do. Again I do apologize you are caught in between, I really hope the issue is resolved.

Your Live Chat Input 91.
but why would netgear make a statement like that, and not give the ISP's the tools needed as well as the firmware for the ISP to do that?

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 93.
I'm not too sure. I can definitely affirm that this is not the first time I have this discussion with a customer.

Your Live Chat Input 94.
i am lost lol

Your Live Chat Input 95.
for words really

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 96.
I understand.

Your Live Chat Input 97.
because if its not a lie from netgear then why wouldn't they give us the firmware?

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 99.
I wish I knew the information for you.

Your Live Chat Input 100.
and if not, why not give you guys the access and files / tools to do it

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 101.
We only have full access to our equipment that is issued by us, I'm not sure about third party equipment, or how they are updated I'm sorry.

Your Live Chat Input 102.
because i am stuck with this, old firmware, and a problem with it, and i can't update it

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 103.
I understand.

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 104.
I was happy to be able to assist you with your inquiry, and give you options to try as well as information. Are there any further questions I can assist you with today, michael?

Your Live Chat Input 105.
well someone from spectrum should tell Netgear about the false information

Your Live Chat Input 106.
not your guys fault really

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 108.
I agree.

Your Live Chat Input 109.
but Netgear needs to be aware of it

Ask Spectrum Live Chat Response 111.
I understand.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ZeroC00l

That is correct you can not update firmware on cable modems manually no matter what brand of modem you buy. The manufacturer still makes the firmware but then they send it to the ISP and the ISP certifies the firmware and makes any changes needed. After that them push it out automatically via the CMTS when they feel its ready.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 12
William10a
Master

Spectrum is pushing the Arris modem/router if this helps in understand the problem with them and your firmware update for the Netgear C7000 it is the rental fee per month and they can not even get my ipv6 working even with their Arris modem with phone service working and no one even seems to know what I'am talking about when I ask about it.

Message 3 of 12
jmath90
Tutor

I am in this same exact spot. Spectrum has no way of updating the firmware of this P.O.S. company' prodct and Netgear has taken away the ability for me to update what NETGEAR recommends.  Until this is fixed or the cable companies (TWC/Spectrum for me) are given the means to fix the issues i will FOREVER spread the word that Netgear customer support is useless, their products will literally steal money from you, and you should always look elsewhere. 

This is making me furious that i spent 200+ dollars a year and half ago to have my purchase made permantly obsolescent by the company that made it

Message 4 of 12
William10a
Master

I do not see spectrum or any other cable isp updating the firmware for any other then their own modem as they charge a rental fee each month fit them and Netgear would have a hard time suppling the correct firmware for each isp as they may have custom settings for the modems used on their service.

So there is no real winner.

Message 5 of 12
marka3
Initiate

Cox Communications does the same thing. They only support(push firmware updates)for their own cable modems that you rent from them. Netgear shows that I have a firmware update available for my cable modem, but I can only get it from Cox. Cox says they don't support Netgear bought through a third party. We are all in a catch 22 situation. Netgear needs to fix this issue, or I will never buy another router from them.

Message 6 of 12
jmath90
Tutor

follow up to my previous comment, it seems that in my area, prior to the Spectrum upgrade from 60mbps -> 100 mbps,  they have actually pushed through the update and my modem router is sitting on 1.01.23

Message 7 of 12
ZeroC00l
Luminary

So after talking with Spectrum, I was told this unit isn't support by them even though it clearly shows on their site.

Told by them they can't update customer owned modems and Netgear are the only ones that can. This is crock and bull crap. I am fighting both netgear and spectrum, what gives?

I paid almost 200.00 for a unit I cannot upgrade, and is not supported. Totally uncalled for.

I'd like a Netgear rep explain this, and fix this by support.

Message 8 of 12
ZeroC00l
Luminary

Why is that Darren? Why arn't WE allowed to upgrade something WE bought? It makes no sense to me. We spent money on a product and were not allowed to update it, what if our network gets hacked, is our ISP / Netgear going to be responsible for it? I think not. Then why are these units even sold in stores then? I don't understand it.

If I had known, I would have just bought a router, but ISP nor Netgear warned me of such and because of it, you made money from me for something I have no control over.

Where is my security? How can one protect self if you or the ISP don't allow it? Why? This is useless because Netgear nor Spectrum can careless about it. So what's your suggestion then? Use it as a 200.00 door stop?

Message 9 of 12
William10a
Master

It is unfair but they have to right according they operate to protect their networks on paper , it is not just netgear who's modems have this issue .others have it too. Since spectrum now says the the modem is free but charge you for the wifi from the modem if you want it and even if you own your Arris modem/router they still can disable its wifi when they update its firmware, if their computer system sees that you do not pay for wifi there is a youtube video that shows this they can disable your privately owned modem/router's wifi.

They are just after the money.

Message 10 of 12
ZeroC00l
Luminary

Case and point, again where is our security. You have 1000's of security advisiors telling everyone to protect ourselves when we can't? That makes sense to you? So it's okay for them to protect themselves but we can't?

Here's a food for thought, so what happens if a hacker gets on our un-protected wifi / network and hacks into the / ISP and/or service and because were not protected and were the ones that will have the FBI at our door step.

So where does one draw the line between security and protecting themselves when the ISP / Netgear don't allow us.

You got all these advisiors, government, private contractors telling all of us consumes to protect ourselves but god d forbid if the corp thugs allow us to.

You cannot condon what they are doing is even within the rights when our security is at risk due to a few lame a rules because the thug says so.

Where is our rights? why arn't we told this before we buy the product? why are they still even selling the product in the stores?

When you say they have rights to do what they do, then let me know when a fed and homeland security come to your front door, 🙂

Message 11 of 12
alc1113
Aspirant

I completely agree with previous posters.  While Spectrum has pushed the latest FW, it still does not do anything for all of the DoS attacks I am getting.  There have been no added settings related to a Firewall, blocking IPs, or any of the normal stuff you would expect from a $200 piece of equipment.  I am going to switch to the free modem/router from Spectrum today.  At least then I know who's neck to chock.  BTW, your support is a joke.  Never Netgear again.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7