Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Remote Access

TammyWiFi
Aspirant

Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Remote Access

I installed the Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem / Router in January 2018 in a vacation home. It has been no trouble at all. March of 2018, a neighbor texted me and asked to "borrow" my password to my WiFi because their system was having "trouble" and the individual was trying to do some "business" while on vacation. Fast forward a year later, I was informed by another neighbor that he disconnected his service and was using mine. I recently changed the password locally while I was on vacation [he wasn't there], using the Genie App on my iPad. My Modem has a 2.5GHz and a 5GHz option when you browse the wireless networks available from a phone or iPad, etc. I noticed after I changed the password that only the 5G shows up now in a list of available WiFi Networks. I was curious to what happened to the 2.5GHz option? Lastly, is this modem on the list to be able to make changes remotely? I did not see it therefore I wanted to confirm. Needless to say, my neighbor is in for a surprise when they return next week to find that they are no longer getting free Internet. Thank you!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the most current updated app? What the app updated any recently? 

Does the Nighthawk app work instead of the Genie app? 

If you have Administration/Remote Manangement in the modems web page, then yes, remote management should be available to use. 

Message 2 of 10
TammyWiFi
Aspirant

Are you using the most current updated app? What the app updated any recently? 

I am using the NETGEAR Genie App on my iPhone and it is genie Version 3.1.74. I believe it is the latest version because I don't see any Updates to make for any apps installed on my iPhone. 

Does the Nighthawk app work instead of the Genie app?  I didn't know there was a Nighthawk App. I am downloading it now. I will be at the house in May, so I can try it out at that time. Thank you!

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
TammyWiFi
Aspirant

I am back at my router and the Nighthawk App doesn’t support my router. So I am using the Netgear App. When I select WiFi on my phone and login with admin, etc. I see the 2.4GHz channel icon which also says Auto for Channel and I swipe to the right and I see the 5GHz channel but that Channel says 153. I’m trying to set up a webcam but it only will connect to the 5GHz. In the list of available WiFi Networks when browsing on my phone or iPad I only see the 5GHz. The 2.4GHz disappeared a few months ago when I changed my WiFi password. I am going to continue to troubleshoot. Maybe I need to do a factory reset on the modem. Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes do a reset on the modem and setup from scratch. Setup the SSIDs with a new name that is different between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz which you will see and notice on your devices 

Message 6 of 10
TammyWiFi
Aspirant

I was able to get everything sorted out. First off is my modem/router combo doesn’t support remote access per the App so that was easy to resolve. I was able, via the Genie App to also get my 2.4 channel to show up again. It just took a bit of fiddling. Thanks!! 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Notajock
Aspirant

Security question - Is it reasonably safe to allow access from all IP addresses?

I have enabled remote access, and have tested it using the web address + port for my router. 

The choice of which IP addresses to grant access makes it seem that only all addresses would allow me to log in to the router from an unplanned location. 

Maybe this deserves a new thread. 

Hardware R7000

Firmware: 1.0.9.64 

Internet: Virgin media cable router in modem mode

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can specifiy a specific WAN address if you know that address doesn't change. However with IP addresses changing randomly, this would be the reason for having all any IP address feature. 

@Notajock wrote:

Security question - Is it reasonably safe to allow access from all IP addresses?

I have enabled remote access, and have tested it using the web address + port for my router. 

The choice of which IP addresses to grant access makes it seem that only all addresses would allow me to log in to the router from an unplanned location. 

Maybe this deserves a new thread. 

Hardware R7000

Firmware: 1.0.9.64 

Internet: Virgin media cable router in modem mode

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7