Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Slow speeds

Dexter11
Tutor

Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Slow speeds

I have Comcast Blast internet and was getting a little over 100mbps with the xfinity router but I decided I was tired of renting so I bought a surfboar modem that also got roughly 100mbps. The surfboard had to keep being restarted daily so I took it back and exchanged it for this Nighthawk C7000 which is way more stable and suposed to be faster. The problem is that now when I do speed tests from xfinity speed test or speedtest. net. I am only getting between 25 and 30mbps. Speeds are consistent on phones, wifi computers and wired computers. I was getting 100mbps on all devices just before I switched so I know it's not them. I know the C7000 is plenty capable of 100mbps so I've tried all the channels and changing the mode speeds to each and every setting and nothing gets over 30mbps. Today I just did a factory reset and that also did nothing. Also all 24 downstream Bonded channels are showing locked. Only 3 upstream are showing locked but I'm more concerned with the download speed.

Thanks for any help,

Dexter

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Slow speeds

Hello Dexter11

It does sound like that may be the issue since your old modem is active. Your line can do any speed its just the coding assigned to the modem that limits what speed you get. From what you say it sounds like your old modem is assigned the higher speed and the new modem is assigned a lower speed so it may be even charging you for 2  connections on your bill.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dexter11

Have you contacted comcast to make sure they didn't mess up and assign your modem a slower speed when you swapped the modem?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Dexter11
Tutor

hey Darren, Thanks for the response. I have not done that yet but it sounds like a great idea. It just seems odd to me because when I switch back to my rented modem (I didnt return it yet) I get fast speeds. I just swaped it and my speed test came back at 242mbps. Then I switch it back to the Netgear and it goes straight back to 30mbps. I also reactivated the modem about 4 different times thinking maybe there was a mistake there. I'm going to have to call comcast monday. I know my line in is definitely providing the service since my old router has the speeds. I guess if this doesn't work I'll have to take the netgear back for a new one. If comcast didn't do like you said and assign it a slow speed the modem must be defective. Thanks again, I didn't think of that...

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dexter11

It does sound like that may be the issue since your old modem is active. Your line can do any speed its just the coding assigned to the modem that limits what speed you get. From what you say it sounds like your old modem is assigned the higher speed and the new modem is assigned a lower speed so it may be even charging you for 2  connections on your bill.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
Dexter11
Tutor

Yup thats exactly what happened. I spoke with comcast yesterday and they discovered that they sent the wrong boot file to my modem when I activated it so it was limited to the 30mbps. She sent the correct boot file over and I'm getting my 200mbps now. Thanks for you help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7