Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7000 Firmware updates

Wildguns84
Tutor

Nighthawk C7000 Firmware updates

Hello,

I'm having some issues with my wifi being dropped/slow no matter how close I am to the modem. On the website, it says the firmware version to the modem on spectrum is v1.01.23 and my personal owned C7000 is on v1.01.15. I contacted my ISP (Spectrum) to have them push an update to my modem. Of course I'm told that I have to wait for my region and they can't push an update to my modem. The agent was crappy and didn't seem to care that I was having wireless issues.

So here is my questions. 

Why are the people that pay $$ for Netgear's modems not being allowed to update their own firmware? Why do we have to deal with our crap ISP's when all they will tell us is we will have to wait? This is poor customer service on both Netgear's and Spectrums sides. 

If there is some sort of loss of communication between Netgear and Spectrum, is it being looked in to? 

I've seen a few post on this same topic and I see the same answer on every one of them. Let's stop with the same bs routine answer and lets start addressing the true issue of allowing our ISPs and our modem manufacture to control what we can do with our modems. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I have the Netgear CM600, and the current firmware on my model has firmware w/ security vulnerabilities in it. Spectrum's policy (TWC as well after Charter bought them) is to no longer push out firmware updates to "customer owned" cable modems. Even though in my case, the updated firmware was provided to TWC (now Spectrum) in December 2015 by Netgear for TWC’s own internal testing.

The DOCIS specification that guides cable modems/gateways does not allow for end user (consumer) firmware upgrade capability.

The only way around the Spectrum consumer modem firmware policy is to have a cable modem/gateway model that Spectrum does provide through its service. When the firmware update is then pushed out for the Spectrum-owned and provided model of the consumer-owned exact models tend to get the update. Sadly, Spectrum does not provide any Netgear-brand cable modems/gateways to customers that I am aware of. 

Long story short, you and I are S.O.L. in regards to this.

Message 2 of 11
Fuzmaniac1
Tutor

I recently purchased a C7000 because it had the fact that it was approved for use by Spectrum and Time-Warner Cablevision printed all over the box.  Now I am just outside of my 90 day Netgear Support window and I find that Spectrum will NOT update the firmware, and Netgear is no help with providing a way to manually update the firmware.  So, in essence, they are willing to leave their customers vulnerable rather than provide even minimal assistance, even though they benefited financially from dishonestly indicating that the modem is supported by Spectrum. This is exactly why I have stopped buying Netgear products.  Stupid me, I bought this one thinking it was the best fit for my move to Spectrum internet.  Now I have a modem/router with security flaws and old firmware.  Thanks for nothing Netgear!

Message 3 of 11
jmath90
Tutor

I am in this same exact. Spectrum has no way of updating the firmware of this P.O.S. company' prodct and Netgear has taken away the ability for me to update what NETGEAR recommends.  Until this is fixed or the cable companies (TWC/Spectrum for me) are given the means to fix the issues i will FOREVER spread the word that Netgear customer support is useless, their products will literally steal money from you, and you should always look elsewhere. 

This is making me furious that i spent 200+ dollars a year and half ago to have my purchase made permantly obsolescent by the company that made it.

Message 4 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jmath90

This option is removed because of the docsis standard and all firmware is updated by the ISP for every companies cable modem.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 11
Mikeindallas
Aspirant

This is nothing but a money grab by the cable companies to force the rental of equipment from them.  What else is the reasoning behind it?    Coincidently my internet has been acting odd lately, which is what got me to looking in the first place.  Specturm is pushing their own agenda on the consumer and raising prices at the same time.  Not good....

Message 6 of 11
Potise
Tutor

So I am in the same boat. I removed the TWC modem because of the monthly bill and having to reboot the TWC unit at least twice a week. I though Netgear would be a good investment ( I also am running two R8500). I am running into problems with my unit and now can not firmware undate it. So my respones will will be to remove all netgear from our corp aproved network equipment lists because of this firmware issue. So they don't care about customer service on firmware they can lose a few 100K sales.

Do to the lack on respone on this post means they do not even read the postings any ways.

Message 7 of 11
MarkCP
Aspirant

I use the same model and Spectrum internet.  I'm not having any issues.  

Message 8 of 11
Fuzmaniac1
Tutor

After my initial post it seems that I was wrong. Spectrum seems to be updating the firmware when needed.  It just takes a while after the firmware is released before they push the update to the modems.  

Message 9 of 11
dalbig
Aspirant

having the same issue but with suddenlink. all ive read is that the isp's are supposed to push the updates but refuse to do so... its nerve racking

Message 10 of 11
gregraven
Aspirant

We're going around and around Suddenlink and Netgear trying to troubleshoot why our connection is sometimes full speed, sometimes not even close. What a CF. We have Apple Airport Extremes at our other location that have just worked for many years now. This combination cable-modem router business is for the birds.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7