Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7800 firmware update stuck

Drewsml95
Guide

Nighthawk C7800 firmware update stuck

My nighthawk C7800 router is stuck in constant firmware upgrading.....

I had my router for a month and it’s worked flawlessly. One night my internet got super slow. Dropped to 3-10 mbps speeds. When I rebooted the upstream and downstream lights just blink and any web browser or trying to access the router admin I get the same message....firmware upgrading. After it sat like that for a 6 hours I thought maybe the firmware corrupted.
Was still under Best Buy return time so swapped it for a second c7800 router. As soon as I plugged it in and it got my Comcast signal the upstream downstream lights flash then it says firmware upgrading and just stays that way. After hours of talking to Comcast and Netgear in India both say it’s the other company I need to talk to. I brought it back and got a third C7800 router....same thing. Firmware upgrading. Comcast says I’m connected on their end but I have no internet and just get firmware upgrading on web browsers and the router admin screen.
I’ve seen others post about this but the OP never says if they got it fixed.
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 24
Drewsml95
Guide

After trying 3 brand new routers...and Comcast coming to the house to test my lines...routers never able to complete firmware upgrade...just stayed frozen and upstream down stream lights blinking even though I had internet connection. Returned to the store and going to another brand. Netgear’s only support was to turn router off and back on. That’s not support that’s common sense.
New firmware must not work with Comcast. Disappointed cause the first one worked amazingly until the firmware update.
Also Netgear support? Hahaha fail
Message 2 of 24

@Drewsml95 wrote:
My nighthawk C7800 router is stuck in constant firmware upgrading.....

I had my router for a month and it’s worked flawlessly. One night my internet got super slow. Dropped to 3-10 mbps speeds. When I rebooted the upstream and downstream lights just blink and any web browser or trying to access the router admin I get the same message....firmware upgrading.

Firmware upgrades on cable modems and modem routers are essentially down to the Internet service provider. Neither you nor Netgear can do anything about it. That's is how ISPs like things.

Here's the official line@

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Message 3 of 24
Drewsml95
Guide

I understand the NETGEAR firmware update comes from the ISP...and it was trying to do the upgrade but was just frozen and not actually upgrading which gave me no internet connection. ISP even came out to my house to help and couldn’t get the firmware update to do anything except show the screen “firmware is upgrading” on each of my browser windows. Even if I tried to go into the Netgear admin page everything was locked and just the message “firmware is upgrading”
The Netgear update was trying to update and not sure who’s end was keeping it from update...NETGEAR or Comcast....but if you’re NETGEAR don’t put Xfinity Comcast on the box if they don’t really support your product. Either way the 3 routers didn’t work ever again since the firmware was Auto pushed
Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to let NG know about. ISPs are supposed to be testing any FW that comes from NG on there networks to make sure nothing breaks. I presume NG should be doing some minor testing as well before sending any new FW to ISPs. 

@DarrenM 

Message 5 of 24
Drewsml95
Guide

Totally agree...but aside from the 7 tier one guys I was allowed to talk to in India from Netgear I don’t know how to pass that information onto NETGEAR aside from here in the community. They open‘d cases when I was on the phone with them but what they do with those I don’t know. All they told me was reset my router and call my ISP...all the ISP was telling me was reset my router and call NETGEAR 🤷🏼‍♂️
Message 6 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact a forum moderator to see if they can help you. 

Message 7 of 24

I just got off the phone with Comcast and they told me to contact Netgear about firmware updating, after I told them basically what you just said, that the update must come from the ISP.  This is still the correct answer then?  How on earth is this possible?  Why is it this way?

Message 8 of 24

@NvrAgainNetgeer wrote:

I just got off the phone with Comcast and they told me to contact Netgear about firmware updating, after I told them basically what you just said, that the update must come from the ISP. 

It is called passing the buck.

Not much more that anyone here can do.

Message 9 of 24

Well, I am sure as s*** not going to lift another finger again about this issue unless it screws with my internet connection in any way.  Horrible customer service.  Never again Netgear! 😄

Message 10 of 24
Raziel242
Guide

I showed xfinity that on netgears site it claims they are responsible for the firmware update.  Xfinitity agains refuses and pushes me back to Netgear.  My fix I am stuck with Xfinitity but not Netgear so thank you very much for having me shell out 400.00 for a modem/router and then allowing me to get stuck in a blame game. I blame Netgear it is their product and if they are aware Xfinity is playing the blame game then they should do something about it to keep customers buying Netgear.   Bye Bye Netgear.

Message 11 of 24

I wonder if there are grounds for a class action lawsuit here???

Message 12 of 24
Drewsml95
Guide

Did the same. Returned Netgear. I’m stuck with Comcast/Xfinity and they both kept saying it’s the other....sorry Netgear but you ultimately lose. Don’t say your products work with Comcast if you’re not on the same page with Comcast. Was a waste of my time effort and money
Message 13 of 24
Drewsml95
Guide

They just kept telling me to call the other. I got the run around and eventually just gave up and returned the Netgear router to the store. I’m stuck with Comcast/Xfinity so ultimately I put the blame on Netgear. It’s their product. Don’t say it’s compatible if the other company isn’t backing your statement and software pushes
Message 14 of 24

@Drewsml95 wrote:
They just kept telling me to call the other. I got the run around and eventually just gave up and returned the Netgear router to the store. I’m stuck with Comcast/Xfinity so ultimately I put the blame on Netgear. It’s their product. Don’t say it’s compatible if the other company isn’t backing your statement and software pushes

You have, indeed, been given a runaround, but it is hard to blame Netgear when it really is prevented from doing anything. Check with all the other makers of cable modem before you home in on one maker.

Here's what Arris says:

Drivers and Firmware: Upgrading Firmware on Cable Modems & Gateways

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, on their cable plant. This means anything directly connected to the cable plant (COAX) in your house. They do this to ensure that nothing happens to anyone upstream from your connections. Cable Operators follow the DOCSIS Specifications that control this methodology of firmware upgrades as well as providing security for the firmware upgrades.

I suggest that anyone hit by this one piles in using the suggested channels.

Read this again:

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Scroll to this bit:

Note: If your ISP is not listed in the following tables, advise your ISP to contact our sales engineering team using the following contact form: https://www.netgear.com/about/contact-us/cable-mso.

Then tell your ISP to use this:

Cable MSO

Alternatively, you could always contact Rudy Giuliani and hire him to pursue a class action suit. He probably needs the work.

Message 15 of 24
Zexdrex
Aspirant

Came here to figure out how to upgrade the firmware and after 10 hours of BS I’m returning this overpriced garbage. Thanks folks
Message 16 of 24

@Zexdrex wrote:
Came here to figure out how to upgrade the firmware and after 10 hours of BS I’m returning this overpriced garbage.

When you look for an alternative cable modem, don't make the mistake of looking for a brand that allows you to upgrade the firmware. They don't exist. Firmware updates for cable modems are pushed out by the Internet service providers.

Message 17 of 24
Raziel242
Guide

Well After a year and a complete run around from Netgear Ifinally got my money back for that piece of Junk.  Here is what I did:  I opened up serveral tickets through Netgear customer service which was utterly useless.  I slammed them on BBB and wrote a letter and email to the CEO.  I got a response which was still the run around.  They sent me another one which was refurbished and had the same problem.  I had to send it back.  Then they wanted the original one I purchased so I sent that back.  Granted they gave me free shipping but I had the inconvenience of having to go to a Fed-Ex location the closest Fed-Ex to me is 30 minutes.  Then after three months and them having my original product still nothing.  I had to write the CEO another letter stating I would be contacting the Attorney General to escalate this matter as now I have been defrauded since they took my original unit and failed to return my money.  I was immediately contacted and the money was in my bank account within that week.  I used to love Netgear products but after this I hope they become the next Sears....bye bye

Message 18 of 24
Zexdrex
Aspirant

Yeah I always had surfboard modems and Netgear routers this was my first experience with an issue and in turn Netgear’s deplorable excuse for customer service. The way customers are dealt with by Netgear really just makes me not want to be one anymore or again. Thanks for the advice.
Message 19 of 24

I was having a similar issue, my modem was giving me issues with trying to do a firmware update and was doing one infinitely. I somehow got lucky and it let me use the internet after having restarted it several times but it was still saying it was doing a firmware update. I had to change some port forwards for a server I am hosting and it would not let me access the admin page so I had no choice but to fix it. After reading around and people saying neither netgear or the ISP could fix it I messed around with it a bit. I figured, if it has to update than it must have internet connection to do so. I turned off the modem/router unplugged the coax/ethernet and kept the power cable plugged in. Powered it back on with all that stuff unplugged. Then went into the admin page on my computer and logged in. THEN plugged in the coax or ethernet depending on your connection. And it stopped doing the firmware update

Message 20 of 24

@ReturnDesender wrote:

And it stopped doing the firmware update

Probably more a case of stopped reporting that there was an update.

This conversation is related to a bug in the iOS Nighthawk app.

Nighthawk app same "firmware not updated" when it ... - NETGEAR Communities

Note the Netgear response:

Re: Nighthawk app same "firmware not updated" when... - NETGEAR Communities

We don't know where you saw this update message, or how you were addressing the modem/router. (App of browser graphical user interface.) So it is hard to tell if you are talking about the same thing. 

Message 21 of 24
Curtissmartins
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Thing worked only okay for 2 months then one day slowed down, then stopped entirely. Now I get a black screen, two green lines, and a message stating, "Firmware is upgrading, please don't power off and wait [sic] upgrading to be completed..." How it's written I was afraid it was a Trojan horse or virus. But apparently the only thing Netgear does worse than communicate with Xfinity is grammar.
Message 22 of 24

@Curtissmartins wrote:
I'm having the same issue. Thing worked only okay for 2 months then one day slowed down, then stopped entirely. Now I get a black screen, two green lines, and a message stating, "Firmware is upgrading, please don't power off and wait [sic] upgrading to be completed..." How it's written I was afraid it was a Trojan horse or virus. But apparently the only thing Netgear does worse than communicate with Xfinity is grammar.

This discussion goes back to the beginning of the year. So it isn't easy to keep up with what people are using.

You don't say what device you own. Is it the C7800 in the subject?

Can you also tell people where you see this message?

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

C series modems are not upgradable by users. Only ISPs can push FW down to the modem. 

You should contact your ISP and have them check the modem for problems seen on there side. 

Try a factory reset on the modem as well and setup from scratch. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

@Curtissmartins wrote:

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7