Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 Drops network connection randomly

ljmagyar
Star

it is COMPLETELY ridiculous...  for $250 modem, it should have more than 24 hours uptime.

Message 26 of 37
nick491
Aspirant

I purchased this router from best buy originally but then saw it cheaper at Costco a week later and swapped em out. Had some issues getting the app to recognize that I was connecting the new router (issues with the app in general). I have a small condo (950 sq ft) fully integrated with smart almost everything. I have 23 devices connected, primarily 2.4ghz, but 3 wired and I really only use 5ghz for my phone and laptop when I’m not at my desk. I don’t know much about all the settings that can be changed online but the only thing I messed with on the app was enabling ipv6 and changing network names. I did check to make sure I was receiving adequate cable power and I am. When connected, everything works pretty great, wired connection at 1000/mbps (paying for 1200) and my Wi-Fi speeds are around 480-600mbps. But my devices and the app seem to go in and out and I really am just getting the impression that this a good all-in one unit for people who want to plug and go and have somewhat fast speeds with a decent amount of devices. The next one up (ax6000) is way too much of a price jump to risk trying to improve performance so I’m thinking about making the switch to a separate modem and router and seeing how that works. Hopefully Costco has a good return policy lol.
Message 27 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

@AnnoyedCAX30Uzr @ljmagyar 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 28 of 37
AnnoyedCAX30Uzr
Aspirant

I would return it to Costco as soon as possible. The warranty is usually only 90 days for these types of items, but you should check with them...

Unfortunately, before I realized it was the router itself (our Spectrum had been having outages and I was rarely home until the Christmas holidays), my 90 day return window closed. Sigh...

Message 29 of 37
ljmagyar
Star

I've got great news!!!  I got mine working!

Yeah, I brought it back to Costco and bought a Motorola MG8702 from Amazon.  It was delivered overnight, so I never lost any uptime except for installation and provisioning.

The Nighthawk CAX30 is NOT - repeat NOT on the 90 window.  If you have one, return it to Costco for a full refund.  I brought mine in - no original packaging or anything.  Just the modem and power adapter.  No questions asked - full refund.

Don't suffer any longer.  DUMP THE CAX30

Message 30 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

So you actually didn't get your CAX30 working. You returned it and bought a different branded modem. 

Message 31 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

@AnnoyedCAX30Uzr

Can you give feed back o nthe following? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 32 of 37
ljmagyar
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So you actually didn't get your CAX30 working. You returned it and bought a different branded modem. 

Correct.  After a half dozen visits from Comcast and inexorable changes of channels and configurations, and hours of time on the phone with Netgear tech support, dumping it for something else was the only solution.

The CAX30 isnt listed in the model drop down (above).  It is a COSTCO only brand and Netgear missed the mark.

Message 33 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 34 of 37
AnnoyedCAX30Uzr
Aspirant

I have done all that and still there are issues.  Whether I am 3 feet away from the modem router (same room) or 30 or 40 feet away (another room) the connection always show clear, connected, very good strength, etc. BUT IT'S NOT WORKING!! So: REBOOT, WAIT at least TWO minutes, power back on, etc etc etc. ad nauseum.

I'm just going to limp along, until I can save enough to buy another DIFFERENT BRAND

Message 35 of 37
ljmagyar
Star

@AnnoyedCAX30Uzr wrote:

I have done all that and still there are issues.  Whether I am 3 feet away from the modem router (same room) or 30 or 40 feet away (another room) the connection always show clear, connected, very good strength, etc. BUT IT'S NOT WORKING!! So: REBOOT, WAIT at least TWO minutes, power back on, etc etc etc. ad nauseum.

I'm just going to limp along, until I can save enough to buy another DIFFERENT BRAND

I'm telling you... order one from Amazon - mine was on my doorstep at 5AM the day after I ordered it.  The MotorolaMG8702 I bought hasn't had a problem since I installed it.

Return the one you bought to Costco - Check your receipt - if it is a 90-day thing, it will say so at the bottom (per the Costco front desk).  I didn't even have a box and they took mine back.  The new Motorola was just a few dollars more.

Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

So if we can't get feedback to the questions presented, you'll need to contact NG support and have them help you out:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Or return the modem and find something else. 

Good Luck. 

@AnnoyedCAX30Uzr wrote:

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7