Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CAX80 Connectivity Issues with 2018 Samsung QN55Q6FNA TV Plus

Paul__G
Aspirant

Nighthawk CAX80 Connectivity Issues with 2018 Samsung QN55Q6FNA TV Plus

I have also posted this to Samsung community boards because at the moment I'm still not sure who owns this issue!

To start off this long winded explanation of a problem I will say I have a 2018 Samsung QN55Q6FNA QLED TV that performed all functions as expected until I upgraded my router/modem.

I was previously using Optimum's Modem Arris TM1602 and Optimum's Router Sagemcom F@st 5260CV and all services were working fine on my TV. I upgraded to the brand new Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 and when I connected my TV to the network, Samsung's autoinstalled app TV Plus stopped working. All channels appear in the channel guide and are selectable but when I select a channel it does not load and instead provides an error message "Error. There was a problem while trying to play the TV PLUS channel. Check your network settings or try again later." I must specify ALL other internet connected apps have been working as usual (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, etc.), only TV Plus is encountering this issue.

In terms of troubleshooting the TV, I've tried everything I could think of including: Upgrading Firmware (current T-KTM2AKUC-1294.1, BT-S), resetting network connection, using wired connection, using wireless connection (only 2 feet away from router), auto scanning channels again, turning off IPv6, power cycling TV, unplugging/plugging back in TV, signing in/out of Samsung Account, Resetting Smart Hub and ultimately doing a factory reset. However, I did try connecting the TV to my phone, using my phone as a hotspot and boom! TV Plus started working again. Then, I connect it back to the router and TV Plus goes offline again.

These steps led me to believe for sure it is a router issue somehow blocking access to TV Plus. That is until I remembered I have a 2016 Samsung UN43KU6300 that I rarely use for streaming purposes. I figured let me give TV Plus a shot on the older TV. Using the same wireless connection, to my surprise, TV Plus started working on my 2016 TV, running on software version 1242. A quick note about that 2016 TV is that it had been acting up ever since my house was struck by lightning (2018) while it was powered on, frying the main board. I had managed to obtain a new main board, pop the covers off and replace the fried board to successfully revive the TV but still things sometimes act up a bit. Besides the point, my thought now is that the newer software version 1294 is somehow not compatible with my router in terms of TV Plus but the older version is. Is there a way I can downgrade my 2018 TV's version to match the 2016 TV, flash drive side loading perhaps? Or can I bypass some type of restriction on the router that was blocking a certain communication my 2018 TV was asking for?

It is also worth noting my old modem Arris TM1602 was using the DOCSIS3.0 protocol while the new router/modem combo uses the DOCSIS3.1 protocol.

I have been in contact with Samsung Experts who have taken remote control of the TV and after 50+ minutes came up with the conclusion that it must be the Modem/Router causing the issue (since it worked on my mobile hotspot) and redirected me to my Modem/Router Supplier, Netgear . I then contacted Netgear Experts to tell them everything I had learned only for them to tell me it must be a TV issue (since the 2016 TV connected to the same network) and they redirected me back to Samsung. I fear I will be in this Ping Pong of deflections for eternity which is why I came to this message board.

If anyone has any knowledge or information please share. I am an engineer and a perfectionist and it's eating away at me not knowing the solution to this problem! Thank you all who have read this far!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
plemans
Guru

What you could try doing? 

Put the samsung tv's ip address into the netgear's DMZ. Its kind of a shotgun approach but worth it to see if something incoming is being blocked. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers

I've got the CAX80 and a samsung tv (not at home to see which one but its older) and its been working great. No issues on it or my Sony 4k or hisense 4k. 

something else to check into is the Optimum service. Maybe their app has to connect to specific device to have full service. I had to have a dish device added to my network to stream espn off my apps to "prove" i had their service. Not sure how optimum does it with their service. 

Message 2 of 37
Paul__G
Aspirant

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, DMZ did not solve the problem.

I have a Sony 4K as well. Everything works fine on that and on the smaller Samsung. I am only seeing this problem on the larger Samsung. I wanted to test other apps on the larger Samsung and it seems all regular streaming services work fine (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, and Disney+), the problems occur when I try to use Live TV type app like "TV Plus", "CBS News", "ESPN" etc. I'm not sure what could be blocking live signals to one TV but not the other 2.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing a new possibly unrelated problem as of today, perhaps a guru like you could answer.

I had Optimum's 400 plan and as of today I upgraded to Optimum's 1gig coax plan. They tried to send a guy here to upgrade my equipment even though I told them I have a CAX80 with DOCSIS3.1 capabilities and did not want their equipment. He arrived re-registered my CAX80, told me I'm good and left. I got a confirmation call an hour later to confirm if I'm 1 gig enabled or not. I tested my speed to find that I was still at 400mb down. I told them no, I don't have a gig and they told me to call customer service. I called them and escalated up to the "Network Engineer" who told me 1 gig coax will not work with anything but their own crappy Ubee Modem/Router combo. Essentially, they said either use their Ubee Modem/Router (and pay the $10/month fee to get 1 gig and return my CAX80 because it is "Useless" with that tier or downgrade back to 400mb to use the CAX80 as I was previously. This puts me at a crossroads, there must be away around the service block to allow the Optimum 1 gig service with my CAX80, no? Do I have to keep bugging them and escalating until some higher up enables it on my device? Thinking of the Frontier case or FCC's CFR 76.1201.

Also, I am stuck with Optimum for the time being as they are the only competitive speed internet in my area. 

Message 3 of 37
plemans
Guru

You're kind of caught in a catch-22. the CAX80 is compatible with >1gig service but only if the service provider certifies it for that speed. So if optimum will only certify it for 400mbps, that's all it'll get. 

But maybe you had a poor technician who didn't know what they were doing. I'd try calling back again. 

Message 4 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

WOW.. I thought I was the only one! I am having the EXACT same issue with my CAX80 modem and my Samsung TV. I too have a 2018 model, but mine is 75 inch... in addition to tvplus not working, I have similar issues with an app called Klowd TV and also CBSN streaming news app. All the other apps on the tv seem to work fine.

I have been getting the same run around between Samsung and Netgear, but I am certain the problem is with the Netgear gateway as the problem didn’t start until after I did a modem firmware update.

I currently have an open ticket with Netgear, and about once a week the so follow up with me but so far they have been unable to rectify the problem.

In addition to the aforementioned apps not working, when Samsung connected to my tv remotely, they were able to do network tests on my tv/modem connection. They advised that the connection, when connected to my Netgear cax80, was “unstable”. I have also gotten this “unstable connection” error message when attempting to check for tv firmware updates.

Since Netgear so far has been unable to fix the problem, I purchased an Apple TV so that I can use the apps that won’t work on the TV itself. While the apps do indeed work, I’ve noticed frequent buffering and intermittent connection issues.

My spouse also said they’ve noticed Intermittent connection problems with his iPhone.

Anyway, I have done all the same troubleshooting steps you did, and then some. None have worked. Personally I think this modem is not ready for prime time. I certainly would not recommend it to others until after these kinks are worked out. It’s extremely frustrating.

Message 5 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

I’m writing this on my phone so forgive my typos... But if you don’t mind, please let me ha know on this forum the outcome of your situation. I will do the same.

Even more crazy is that my house was also struck by lightning and the mother board on this tv was also fried and replaced. I don’t think that’s the cause of this issue because like you, when I connect the tv to my hotspot, everything works fine. Samsung even confirmed that my network was not having any “unstable” errors when connected to my hotspot. The problem strictly exists with the CAX80.

Anyway, keep me posted - dying to straighten this thing out!
Message 6 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

So Netgear replaced my modem. I again reset my tv to factory settings, connected it to the new modem, and still it doesn’t work. But if I connect it to my hotspot, the tv and all apps work flawlessly.. there is clearly a design flaw with this modem. At this point, I’m am fed up with this. I didn’t sign up to be a guinea pig. I just want my internet to work.
Message 7 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you temporarily disable WPA wifi security on the modem and have your TV connect to it, does it connect. After trying this, re-enabled WPA and TPIK and try the TV. Then try WPA2 and AES only. 

Be sure the TVs firmware is up to date as well. This maybe a problem at the TV if this is the only device having problems. 

"I just want my internet to work." is your internet service not working with this modem from your ISP? 

@ryeclift wrote:
So Netgear replaced my modem. I again reset my tv to factory settings, connected it to the new modem, and still it doesn’t work. But if I connect it to my hotspot, the tv and all apps work flawlessly.. there is clearly a design flaw with this modem. At this point, I’m am fed up with this. I didn’t sign up to be a guinea pig. I just want my internet to work.

Message 8 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

Yes, the problem still exists.  I even tried to connect my TV directly into ethernet.

Regarding my ISP - yes the internet service is working.  I even tried a different cable modem and it worked.  The problem is strictly with this particular model.

Message 9 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check with the TV mfr as well. If this TV is the only device now working. They may have some additional help. 
Or send your debug logs to NG as well for review. 

Message 10 of 37
Murraygrant
Aspirant

I am experiencing issues as well.  I cannot get Disney+ to function properly.  All other streaming platforms works just fine.  I have a 2018 Samsung and newly istalled CAX80.  I can open Disney+ however when I select the tiles for Marvel or Star Wars they will not open.  I have to use the search bar to find whatever I am looking for instaed of seeing whats available.  I've called Samsung, I've called Netgear and I've even called Disney+, lots of finger pointing going on between them all.  Disney+ works on all other devices throughout my home....just not my S

@Paul__G wrote:

I have also posted this to Samsung community boards because at the moment I'm still not sure who owns this issue!

To start off this long winded explanation of a problem I will say I have a 2018 Samsung QN55Q6FNA QLED TV that performed all functions as expected until I upgraded my router/modem.

I was previously using Optimum's Modem Arris TM1602 and Optimum's Router Sagemcom F@st 5260CV and all services were working fine on my TV. I upgraded to the brand new Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 and when I connected my TV to the network, Samsung's autoinstalled app TV Plus stopped working. All channels appear in the channel guide and are selectable but when I select a channel it does not load and instead provides an error message "Error. There was a problem while trying to play the TV PLUS channel. Check your network settings or try again later." I must specify ALL other internet connected apps have been working as usual (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, etc.), only TV Plus is encountering this issue.

In terms of troubleshooting the TV, I've tried everything I could think of including: Upgrading Firmware (current T-KTM2AKUC-1294.1, BT-S), resetting network connection, using wired connection, using wireless connection (only 2 feet away from router), auto scanning channels again, turning off IPv6, power cycling TV, unplugging/plugging back in TV, signing in/out of Samsung Account, Resetting Smart Hub and ultimately doing a factory reset. However, I did try connecting the TV to my phone, using my phone as a hotspot and boom! TV Plus started working again. Then, I connect it back to the router and TV Plus goes offline again.

These steps led me to believe for sure it is a router issue somehow blocking access to TV Plus. That is until I remembered I have a 2016 Samsung UN43KU6300 that I rarely use for streaming purposes. I figured let me give TV Plus a shot on the older TV. Using the same wireless connection, to my surprise, TV Plus started working on my 2016 TV, running on software version 1242. A quick note about that 2016 TV is that it had been acting up ever since my house was struck by lightning (2018) while it was powered on, frying the main board. I had managed to obtain a new main board, pop the covers off and replace the fried board to successfully revive the TV but still things sometimes act up a bit. Besides the point, my thought now is that the newer software version 1294 is somehow not compatible with my router in terms of TV Plus but the older version is. Is there a way I can downgrade my 2018 TV's version to match the 2016 TV, flash drive side loading perhaps? Or can I bypass some type of restriction on the router that was blocking a certain communication my 2018 TV was asking for?

It is also worth noting my old modem Arris TM1602 was using the DOCSIS3.0 protocol while the new router/modem combo uses the DOCSIS3.1 protocol.

I have been in contact with Samsung Experts who have taken remote control of the TV and after 50+ minutes came up with the conclusion that it must be the Modem/Router causing the issue (since it worked on my mobile hotspot) and redirected me to my Modem/Router Supplier, Netgear . I then contacted Netgear Experts to tell them everything I had learned only for them to tell me it must be a TV issue (since the 2016 TV connected to the same network) and they redirected me back to Samsung. I fear I will be in this Ping Pong of deflections for eternity which is why I came to this message board.

If anyone has any knowledge or information please share. I am an engineer and a perfectionist and it's eating away at me not knowing the solution to this problem! Thank you all who have read this far!

amsung TV.   

Message 11 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

HA.  I posted a lengthy reply only to have it deleted.  Could it be because it was critical of Netgear?

Anyway, best advice is to return the CAx80.   ALL of Netgears AX devices have serious design flaws.  I ended up going with Linksys AX4200 Velop.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED alternative.  Arris also makes a great Dociss 3.1 modem.

Message 12 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't had any problems with my CAX80. though i dont have a samsung TV. If other devices are working and the samsung device is he only one thats seems to be having problems, then the problem maybe with this one device. Ensure the devices FW is up to date. Contact the Mfrs support web site or service for additional information. It's not always a router or modem issue. Not the first time that Samsung has been known to be a problem with users. 

@Murraygrant wrote:

I am experiencing issues as well.  I cannot get Disney+ to function properly.  All other streaming platforms works just fine.  I have a 2018 Samsung and newly istalled CAX80.  I can open Disney+ however when I select the tiles for Marvel or Star Wars they will not open.  I have to use the search bar to find whatever I am looking for instaed of seeing whats available.  I've called Samsung, I've called Netgear and I've even called Disney+, lots of finger pointing going on between them all.  Disney+ works on all other devices throughout my home....just not my S

Message 13 of 37
plemans
Guru

I've got a samsung TV and an CAX80 and an RAX200. Neither have had issues with between the routers/tv. 

The CAX80's been rock solid for me. 

Message 14 of 37
tamanaco
Apprentice

I have a 2019 Samsung Q80R QLED TV and have not watched Samsung TV in a while. I'm sure that it worked fine with my previous setup (Motorola SB6183 Modem and Netgear WNDR4500 Router) - After comming accross this thread I decided to test the Samsung TV Plus and noticed that it no longer works. I get the error message pictured. Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube and all the other streaming apps on the TV work without any issues. The problem appears to be only with Samsung TV Plus. I called my sister who has the same TV and to whom I gifted my old Modem and Router and Samsung TV Plus works fine. We both have the same Spectrum service. My CAX80 has Modem firmware 1.02.08 and Router firmware 2.1.1.4 - Something is not right here.

TV Plus Error.jpgScreenshot of Services.jpg

Message 15 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

IF it's the only one device, i.e. Samsung TV thats not working, yet all others are working. You can't place blame solely on NG. It'a not NG responsibility to make other Mfr devices work with NG products. NG only provides the platform.

Samsung has been know to be problematic already in other areas:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/The-dreaded-Samsung-Galaxy-WIFI-authentication-error-with-ORBI...

This is isolated to Samsung and the CAX80. Something both Samsung and NG will have to look at. Mostly Samsung will have to look at it as this isn't a NG issue.

Mine works otherwise.

Good Luck though.

Message 16 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the TVs FW is up dated. 

Try disabling AX mode on the CAX80 and try. 

How far away is the TV from the CAX80? 

@tamanaco wrote:

I have a 2019 Samsung Q80R QLED TV and have not watched Samsung TV in a while. I'm sure that it worked fine with my previous setup (Motorola SB6183 Modem and Netgear WNDR4500 Router) - After comming accross this thread I decided to test the Samsung TV Plus and noticed that it no longer works. I get the error message pictured. Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube and all the other streaming apps on the TV work without any issues. The problem appears to be only with Samsung TV Plus. I called my sister who has the same TV and to whom I gifted my old Modem and Router and Samsung TV Plus works fine. We both have the same Spectrum service. My CAX80 has Modem firmware 1.02.08 and Router firmware 2.1.1.4 - Something is not right here.

TV Plus Error.jpgScreenshot of Services.jpg

Message 17 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

Trust me. The problem was solely with the Netgear CAX80. I have five Samsung TVs and only one wasn’t working. And the only time it wasn’t working was when it was connected to the CAX80. If connected to any other device, such as a hot spot device I have, or my phones hot spot, or any other router, the tv worked flawlessly. Even if I connected the modem to the tv via Ethernet, the same problem existed.

As I said, Netgear sent out a replacement cax80 and it had the precise same problem. Netgear even admitted as much and claimed the CAX80 is too new but will get better if I just wait for a firmware update. How reassuring... Netgear eventually sent me an RAX80 and magically the tv worked. The RAX80 has its own unreliability issues though and I now have a Linksys system, which works perfect.

Not only did certain TVs have issues with the CAX80, but it always had connectivity issues that seem to have been caused by the smart wifi feature. Frequently the CAX80 wifi would be broadcasting, but no internet was flowing through.

The cold hard truth is that the chips on the Netgear “AX” devices are not ready for prime time. The kinks were not worked out before the release. It was a great idea but the most important thing for me, and many others, is reliability. There are other companies with AX products that are indeed reliable. Linksys being one.

Again, the problem isn’t the TV. If it were the TV, it would have problems with every device. But it doesn’t. It only has problems with the CAX80 when both wifi or Ethernet connected.

The best advice I. Can give is: Don’t even bother wasting your time troubleshooting. Ill they will do is tell you to disable the very features that made you want to buy the product in the first place. Spend your money elsewhere is my advice.
Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

More like Samsume needs to update there TVs FW so there more compatible and operational with newer tech. Happened before. Something Samsung has to work on. Not NG. I see others have samesung TVs and works fine with CAX80. Tells everyone that this IS a Samsung issue. 

Good Luck though. 

Message 19 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

So the privilege of owning a CAX80 is that we have to update all our connected devices to ensure it can work with Netgear? Sorry but it doesn’t work that way. Netgear should make a product that works with everything else. Why is it that Linksys is able to accomplish this?
Message 20 of 37
tamanaco
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

First, I'm not placing blame on Netgear or Samsung... I'm just identifying a problem that was not there before the CAX80. I also reported the issue to Samsung.

The firmware in all my networking components, including the TV at release 1372.2 + TV apps are up to date. AX mode or distance from the router does no apply as the TV is (wired) connected via Ethernet "directly" to the CAX80. Is not the Ethernet wire or Ethernet port in the CAX80... I have switched cables and tested on other ports.

Message 21 of 37
ryeclift
Tutor

I feel for you... I too did all of those things and much more.. I’m certain the problem won’t get solved. I literally spent over for 4 months troubleshot the devices with Netgear and Samsung. The problem didn’t get fixed no matter what was tried.

I’m still trying to get my money back from Netgear because I made the mistake of troubleshooting and waiting too long, and as a result I now cannot return it to the store for a refund. I’m at the mercy of Netgear. Hope you don’t fall into the same trap.
Message 22 of 37
tamanaco
Apprentice

@ryeclift  - I hear you. I rarely use Samsung TV Plus and I have been  "somewhat" satisfied with the replacement CAX80 I received a few days ago just before my 90-Days were up. My disconnect issues appear to be gone with the replacement CAX80 Router. Today marks the 7th day without having to reboot the CAX80. I have issues with the GUI and with the Log not recording events (all zeros) after a day or so, but clearing the Log fixes the issue.

I'm going to stick around to see if future firmware updates to either the TV or the CAX80 fixes the issue with Samsung TV Plus. I agree with you about the CAX80 not being fully baked when it was released. But I also reliaze that because of the current situation some development and release cycles have been accelerated and been negatively impacted by not having all the usual resources and personnel readily available to address unforseen issues.

Message 23 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I to and trying to help you identify the issue for those of us who still have the CAX80. 

One thing you might try as  well, give a IP address reservation for the TV, Save and apply. 

Put this IP address into the Modems DMZ and save and apply. You might restart or power cycle the TV here. Then check and test again.

Is IPv6 enabled on the CAX80? 

What DNS are you using? Auto or manual custom? 

@tamanaco wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

First, I'm not placing blame on Netgear or Samsung... I'm just identifying a problem that was not there before the CAX80. I also reported the issue to Samsung.

The firmware in all my networking components, including the TV at release 1372.2 + TV apps are up to date. AX mode or distance from the router does no apply as the TV is (wired) connected via Ethernet "directly" to the CAX80. Is not the Ethernet wire or Ethernet port in the CAX80... I have switched cables and tested on other ports.

Message 24 of 37
tamanaco
Apprentice

@FURRYe38  - Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to use the DMZ to fix this issue. I will wait for some firmware update to either the TV or the Router that will fix this issue. As I mentioned before, all other apps in the TV work without a hitch in my current setup. The TV currently has a DHCP reservation, but I have also tested using a dedicated IP. I have tried it with the ISP's DNS servers, with Google DNS servers and combination of those. I believe there's some issue in one or more of the TV/Router Networking Layers - Something is not being upacked correctly, some parmeters don't sync or a time-out is occuring. Exactly what and where the issue exists... I don't know, but it only happens when you try to use Samsung TV Plus with the CAX80 while everything else in the LAN is working fine.

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7