Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Cm1200 ports

tr6pilot
Follower

Nighthawk Cm1200 ports

I just purchased a Nighthawk CM1200 Cable modem, and noticed there are 4 ports, but it appears there are only 2 that are active (meaning, when I connect a device to ports 3 or 4, it cannot connect to the internet.).  I have a large house, and have a Linksys EA9500 WiFi Router located in a remote location to optomize the signal, and hardwired to port 1 of the CM1200.  Port 2 goes to my work laptop in my office where the cable modem is.  As I understand it, I need a business account to take advantage of ports 3 & 4.  I need additional ethernet connections in my office for some hardwired devices.  How can I expand the ports or add ports ( I have a hub, but that does not work with either port 1 or 2)?  

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Cm1200 ports

Ports 3 and 4 are for WAN side IP addressed accounts from an ISP. So you would need to check with your ISP to see if they support multiple WAN IP addresses coming down the coax line that feed to the CM modem. IF so, then you could potentially take advantage of ports 3 and 4. However these ports would need there own external WiFi NAT router to connet to ports 3 and 4. ISP would probably charge you for these accounts as well.

Think of it as having a Linksys router connected to each port 3 and 4. They would be there own internet access. Something not normally seen or used in a home class environment. 

Your best servered by using port #1 for your main internet services with the Linksys router connected to port #1. If you want to ensure your house is wired for LAN connections, you can add a external LAN switch behind the router and then this would help connect and server various locations in the modem. The wired LAN configuration is mostly meant for inwall room connections. Some homes don't have the inwall LAN cable support built in. It can be added if you have a good cable line installation company that can do that. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7