Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S AC2600 (D7800) slow wireless speeds

Sevvy
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S AC2600 (D7800) slow wireless speeds

Hi all

- My two year old TalkTalk "Super Router" was giving me a bit of trouble , so i invested over £200 in a Netgear Nighthawk X4S -AC2600 modem router after reading excellent reviews of it in several PC magazines and  on various websites.

I always used to get around 30-33 mbps wirelessly with my old fairly basic TalkTalk Huawei HG635 router , but have never achieved more than 25 mbps since replacing it with this supposedly much better Nighthawk D7800

I even had Openreach out who told me to not bother with it and go back to a TalkTalk router ( they sent me a new one )  - surely there must be something i am doing wrong , but the 2.4 and 5ghz channels it uses are , according to the "Netgear wi fi analytics" software im using are already using what it considers to be the best channels.

The router is in exactly the same place as my old one , and even when testing  in the very next room , with clear line of sight , the wireless strength drops by around a third .

This happens on my wireless laptop, iphone and android tablet 

I have searched everywhere for a UK customer contact phone number , as i am still well withing my 90 days of purchase , but there doesnt seem to be one so that i can speak to someone .

if anyone out there can help , it would be much appreciated

Sevvy

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk X4S AC2600 (D7800) slow wireless speeds

Hello Sevvy

Have you tried to change the wireless channels on the router in the wireless settings?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
Sevvy
Aspirant

Hi Darren - yes I've tried various channels but most make no difference at all , and some make it worse
Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What speeds do you get while connected via a wired connection?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
Sevvy
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't have anything I can plug into it using Ethernet as my new Lenovo laptop is wireless only -
I also have an iPhone,iPod and Samsung tablet - all wireless -
if I log into the router 192.168.1.1 homepage it shows my incoming broadband speed as 28.8 Mbps , and yet I can only get 15.8 max when using wireless , even right next to the router
Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Sevvy

Sometimes a signal device connected to the network could be slowing down the whole wireless network you could test this by removing all devices and adding them 1 by 1 and testing the speed. You will know pretty quick if you start with your laptop only and the speeds are still slow if there is a issue with the wireless on the unit.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
Sevvy
Aspirant

Thanks Darren - I'll try that tomorrow ( 10.35pm here now)
I'll post my findings on here once I've tried what you've suggested
Sevvy
Message 7 of 9
Sevvy
Aspirant

No difference I'm afraid - Max 16mbs whether one or 5 wireless devices attached
Message 8 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Sevvy

If the modem is under warranty you may want to contact support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7