Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk ac1900 c7000v2 has significant packet loss and high ping in gaming and video calls

notadingus
Aspirant

Nighthawk ac1900 c7000v2 has significant packet loss and high ping in gaming and video calls

I am completely baffled by my internet problems right now. I used to have a different router modem combo from netgear that worked pretty well for me, but after 3 years I started noticing problems (I started noticing it about a month and a half ago). In all the games that I played, I noticed some pretty severe latency problems and packet loss. This is across PC and PS4, wired and wireless connections. I checked with my ISP and they said things looked fine from their end. So I in turn bought a new router modem combo (Nighthawk AC1900 C7000v2) thinking that the hardware of the previous model was broken, but I continued having similar problems. I am pretty certain the hardware of this new model is fine, so I called some friends that live by me with the same ISP that play the same games that I do and they said they were having no issues. After this information, I called my ISP again and they sent a tech out to me and he fixed a couple of faulty connections. It still didn't help. They sent another tech out again and fixed a couple other things that already looked ok but were not quite "new" and it still didn't help. They think the cable connected to the modem is functional and good. This leads me to think that something is wrong with my router/modem. Therefore, I tried port forwarding and disabling and enabling different things from suggestions I found on the internet and it made no difference. It might be a firmware problem, but I don't know what to do next. I also live in an apartment complex, so that may factor some into this, but I am massively confused.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk ac1900 c7000v2 has significant packet loss and high ping in gaming and video calls

Be sure your wired when gaming. It's perferred. 

Any other wifi nieghbors near by? If so, how many? If you live in a apartment complex, you may have some wifi congestion. 

Might turn down the power on the wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You might contact NG support about an RMA. If the ISP connected a different modem and that worked and the NG doesn't, I would get another C series modem.

Message 2 of 12
notadingus
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk ac1900 c7000v2 has significant packet loss and high ping in gaming and video calls

I am wired when I am gaming. There are several wifi neighbors nearby. At least 8 or so will pop up on my phone whenever I check. I will test the wifi radio power and see if that helps. But if I am plugged directly into it, would that change anything?

I have never used my ISP's modems because I didn't want to pay a monthly charge for it.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One way to find out is to turn OFF the wifi radios on the modem. Game over wired connection and see if you still see high ping. Turn off ALL other wifi devices in the home as well while gaming. Test and let us know. 

Message 4 of 12
notadingus
Aspirant

I disabled both Wifi radios and only had my PC wired and the problem persisted. I had pings anywhere from 70 to 400s.

Message 5 of 12
notadingus
Aspirant

Any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a different modem, see if a different modem has the same problem or not. Then you'll know if the C7000 is the problem or not. 

Message 7 of 12
notadingus
Aspirant

I had a different Netgear router modem combo with a similar problem that only started happening a little more than a month ago, but I thought it was that router's problem. It wasn't since the problem is still happening, but since they were both Netgear, I was wondering if it could be a problem with a firmware update. My ISP has come to my place multiple times and my internet tests always look good to them, But the consistent lag and packet loss is continuing. 

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a different branded modem, Arris or Motorola and see. You might go with a modem only unit and then get you a external wireless router. 

Message 9 of 12
notadingus
Aspirant

Is it preferred to have a separate modem and router?

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. In most cable ISPs only update FW on the modem. Thus if modem combo unit is involved, you may not see any FW updates and you can't update FW on modems or combo units. Where if you had a stand alone modem and external router, you have more control of the FW updates on the external router.

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

With C7000v2 I see  ping time to local gateway (192.168.0.1) is intermittently happens to be around 40-50 seconds, over ethernet. 

Was there any solution for this issue?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7