Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk c7000 - LAN - wiifi connections..

Duck05
Aspirant

Nighthawk c7000 - LAN - wiifi connections..

I must be doing something wrong or have a setting improperly configured.

The 4 port local LAN ports will can not "see" devices connected on the wifi "side".   On the 2.4Gh band, I have 2 Moxi DVRs that can share their directories of recorded programs.  These are on wifi extenders since the house is not hardwired and have worked okay over the past 4-5 years. 

The Nighthawk is close to one of the Moxi DVRs so instea of plugging into the extender, I moved the ethernet cable from the extender into the Nighthawk 4 port LAN switch.  The device retains it's DHCP provided IP address and can connect to the Internet but all of the other devices it could see before when it was on the wifi (the other Moxi, DLNA folders from a Win8 tower and Win10 laptop) all "disappear" from view.   Moving the cable back to the extender all of the devices reappear and can be accessed.

I cannot find any setting or configuration option to explain this behavior.  The DHCP assignments all have integrity so not sure why local LAN connected devices are not seeing the other devices connect via wifi (some are on extenders and others are not).   I am on V1.01.23 of the firnware.

Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Duck05

Do you have another router attached to your network?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Duck05
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Duck05

Do you have another router attached to your network?

DarrenM

No; the Nighthwk is the only modem/router in the house..    The devices that do any file sharing that use wifi can "see" each other and connect.  But, if I use a hard wire connection to the routers switch ports, some of the devices lose visibility.

Now, there are 3 wifi extenders in the chains.  As long as a hard wired device is connected to the extender, those devices can see each other and other devices on the shared SSID; if I move a device from one of the extenders to the router LAN ports the device on the router can not connect or see any other devices and those devices lose access to the device on the LAN switch.

I see no config or setting that can explain this....

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It could be a odd issue with Ip reservation are all these devices has a set ip address? also are you daisy chaining the extenders or does each one connect to the main router?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
Duck05
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

It could be a odd issue with Ip reservation are all these devices has a set ip address? also are you daisy chaining the extenders or does each one connect to the main router?

DarrenM

No static IPs; all refer to the Comcast ISP for DNS and  DHCP to get an IP in the assigned range (192.168.0.x).  The 3 wifi extenders all are configured to the main 2.4Gh SSID.  All the devices have a unique IP (no dups). 

When you move a device off of an extender to the switch the device retains it's IP.  But, it no longer can connect or be seen by devices it could see before the move; move it back to the extender and all is as before.  Power cycling all the devices and the router after a move makes no difference (except for the IPs which all get new ones from the DHCP). 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7