Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open/Close ports when I want

Richievalenta
Aspirant

Open/Close ports when I want

I'm trying to open/close ports when I want for testing purposes. I have the C3700 router. For example when I use http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and search for port 2000, it is closed. How do I open it? I tried in the settings, but no luck, hopefully someone can help me! 🙂

Message 1 of 9

Re: Open/Close ports when I want

Hi it is way out of my league, contact @StephenB  or the @TheEther !!!

Message 2 of 9
Richievalenta
Aspirant

How do I do that?
Message 3 of 9

They have been advised already.

regards.

Message 4 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Do you have a service running on the device that is listening to the forwarded port?

These port testing services need to make it more clear that they are end-to-end tests.  If there's nothing at your end to respond to their test, then it can appear that the port is not being forwarded when in fact it is.  Note: Some port testing services can actually listen to the port and respond to requests, provided that you initiate the test on the device that you are port forwarding towards.

It's important to understand that there is a subtle but important distinction when a testing service reports that a port is "closed" vs "didn't respond".  "Closed" means the other end actively rejected the connection request.  This usually means that the port is being forwarded.  "Didn't respond" usually means that the router silently blocked the request because the port is not being forwarded.

Message 5 of 9
Richievalenta
Aspirant

Okay I understand. So right now I'm using a new router the Nighthawk R6900. When I connect this router, these ports are open and needs to be closed/didnt respond so I can use this certain software/service (ports below).

When I use http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ all these ports are open.

2000/tcp rsh Open port

8728/tcp Unknown Open port

8729/tcp Unknown Open port

I'm currently using five9 software that uses java. Could it have to do with said above ports?

Anywho, these ports need to be closed/didnt respond in order for me to use this other companies software/service. How do I do that? 

I know on my home router all these ports are closed by default, and I have a netgear as well.

Any suggestions would help, thanks!!!

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

I'm pretty sure that there's no application on the router that would open them by default.  What could be happening is that the router is using those ports as part of its normal NAT function.  Try rebooting your router.  Then rerun the port tester.

Message 7 of 9
Richievalenta
Aspirant

I rebooted, disabled unused settings such as UpNp and USB, and update the firmware. They were still open. I used both the port tester and nmap. Could it have to do with VoiP services or the ISP?

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Not likely.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7