Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Controls on C7800 DO NOT WORK - DO NOT BUY THIS CABLE MODEM!!!

dbt747
Follower

Parental Controls on C7800 DO NOT WORK - DO NOT BUY THIS CABLE MODEM!!!

Hi - as noted in a different post, the Parental Controls on the C7800 Router DO NOT WORK - they try to send you to the "Circle" app which is unsupported.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Posting this to Amazon too.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Parental Controls on C7800 DO NOT WORK - DO NOT BUY THIS CABLE MODEM!!!

@vkdelta it looks like the C7800 firmware was prematurely changed away from OpenDNS / Netgear Live Parental Control to Circle. Can't get rid that left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

There are other router models, like the R9000 which is still "stuck" with LPC (luckily no Circle!) - however some not-so-smart product manages decided that  only the Netgear App can be used - the previous Genie App refuses to work with these routers, thus the Bypass Login for LPC isn't possible.

Can the community management  @ChristineT bring this to the top management attention? Just ridiculous on how Netgear does fail to properly maintain the features in the consumer BU.

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I will report this issue.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@DarrenM wrote:

I will report this issue.

Thank you @DarrenM. We're reporting and pushing this "issue" over many other product lines for about 18 months - and then since we had been told that Genie App is no longer supported and replaced by the Nightawk App on major product lines: There are products in the field, on the shelfes, and probably even in manufacturing where Netgear Live Parental Control was (and still is) promoted and sold as a feature. Instead of giving the chance to continue LPC operations (with the full feature set) we had been systematically ignored by Netgear. Many customers were seriously disappointed about the lost feature and it's loss of management. 

Message 4 of 5
DetroitChris
Initiate

I cannot believe I purchased a $300 top of the line cable modem router branded NIghthawk from a company Netgear known to make great products only to find out it is not supported by the Nighthawk App. Why brand it Nighthawk if it is not truly a member of the Nighthawk brand family? How can Xfinity's cable modem router gateway have an app that works great and yours does not. Why does having a cable modem in the same product make it some unsurmountable technical feat to have it compatible with the Nighthawk App. Now I have returned my Xfinity gateway to avoid $14/ month fee and lost my piece of mind and ability to control my childrens devices access to the internet. I was so excited to upgrade our network and now am just upset everyday. Please fix this situation! This is a terrible oversight on your part. You need to think from the customer experience forward and I am having a terrible customer experience. My assumption is that you are focused solely on your Orbi brand family and this Netgear product fell through the cracks. That is unacceptable. If you don't have the bandwith to fully support a product don't release it, discontinue it. 

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7