Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port blocking using a VM Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490)

fubar2niner
Aspirant

Port blocking using a VM Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490)

Hi all

My first post and hoping it's in the right place. A few days ago I recieved my upgrade from a SHub1 to SHub2ac. After a speed problem. I have created 4 port blocking rules for one of my computers successfully, however when I try to create the same blocks for my other computers I get a "The selected port range overlaps with an existing rule" error.

I gave the rule a new name and have obviously used the ip addresses of the other boxes on the network. This worked fine on my old SH1 so why not on a supposed upgrade ???

I have called VM and they had no idea if it was possible and pointed me to tech, alas they had no clue either so pointed me to their pay for support dept. They said it could not be done ??? As both tech VM's dept and the pay per help guys were both unable to offer advice, other than block the ports through your software firewall. Can't be done using Bitdefender as I can see (this in itself is another can of worms).

Any help or advice from Netgear techs or other home network users much appreciated. As this seems a downgrade from the old SuperHub 1 which would allow any amount of port blocks using the port numbers providing the rule name was different and the ip addy was changed, Is there a possibility of a firmware upgrde to re-allow this option? Or do the guys at VM need to RTFM Smiley Frustrated

Any and all help really appreciated in this matter.

Best regards.

fubar

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Port blocking using a VM Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490)

sent you a PM reply

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello fubar2niner

Im not fimiliar at all with these devices but hopefully someone in the community will be able to help with this.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@fubar2niner

please send me the screenshots and PM me the backup config file.

also, let me know what FW version you are running on the SHv2AC and what you are trying to achieve.

We did add some specific rules in there and most of the GUI design is done at request of VM Engineering team (It is implemented by NTGR but requirements come from VM Teams)

Message 3 of 6
fubar2niner
Aspirant

Hi vkdelta

Thanks for the interest and offer of help PM sent with all relevant info and screens.

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Message 4 of 6
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

sent you a PM reply

Message 5 of 6
fubar2niner
Aspirant

@vkdelta

Many thanks for the help and reply. Re VM engineering I won't hold my breath on them resolving anything. Keeping my fingers crossed for a resolution tho.

Best regards.

fubar
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7