Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printing using Netgear ReadySHARE Print function is not working.

BodhiH
Follower

Printing using Netgear ReadySHARE Print function is not working.

Hello,

I'm using a Nighthawk C7000-100NAS Modem/Wireless Router with my MacBook Pro (OSX High Sierra).  I have been trying for some time to connect my HP Deskjet 2050 to the router via the USB cable/port so I can use the printer wirelessly from my iOS devices (MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone 7 plus).  I have tried installing the Netgear USB Control Center Utility but keep getting the message "Instalation incomplete. Please install again."  I have tried everything I can think of to set up ReadyShare but to no avail.  I thought that maybe this is a firmware issue since my current firmware on the router is V1.01.15 and the newest firmware for this device is V1.01.23 but I am unable to intall it for some reason.  I first navigated to the Advanced tab, then to Administration and looked for the promised Firmware Upgrade tab as detailed in the online instructions but the Firmware Upgrade tab is missing . . . I can't find it anywhere in either Netgear Genie or when I directly log into the gateway using a browser.  I contacted Netgear and was told that the updare had to be pushed from my ISP.  I contacted the ISP and they said that they can't do it and that I have to update it myself.  At any rate, this shouldn't be this hard.  All I want is to print either wirelessly or with AirPrint and it should be really simple.  Any tips, tricks, workarounds, or other suggestions?  Thanks.  Bodhi.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Printing using Netgear ReadySHARE Print function is not working.

> [...] "Instalation incomplete. Please install again." [...]

Not "Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again."?

This has been reported here before, without obvious effect.

> I thought that maybe this is a firmware issue [...]

Inability to install (defective) software on your Mac has nothing to
do with your router.

> I'm using a Nighthawk C7000-100NAS Modem/Wireless Router [...]

A cable-TV ISP has complete control over the firmware of any
modem(+router) on its network.  There is nothing you can (or need to) do
about it.  If you have any doubts, then contact your ISP.

> [...] Any tips, tricks, workarounds, or other suggestions?

Complain to Netgear about the Mac software installation problem?

Message 2 of 4

@BodhiH wrote:

Hello,

I'm using a Nighthawk C7000-100NAS Modem/Wireless Router

So why does your footer say R7000?

Probably because you posted in the routers section of this forum rather than cable modems.

Cable Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

You might get better answers there.

As to the firmware:

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Message 3 of 4
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @BodhiH. I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.3.4; after multiple attempts, the ReadyShare utility never worked. Even though I received an 'installation complete' message during the installation script. However, upon rebooting the MacBook I'd get another message stating that the application was incomplete, to run it again. After multiple attempts, I gave up.

But here's what worked for me. I connected the printer to my router's USB port (and Orbi RBK50); and then executed the print; when the printer window opened, I used the Up/Dn arrow key to select the USB printer which Bonjour readily listed in the list of available printers, and voilà! All you need to do is to make sure that the printer driver is already installed on your Mac.

The printer I'm connecting to is a Brother HL3045CN, which is located in my basement office and was previously plugged into a USB port on my desktop computer. After changing the connection to the ORBI USB port, I had to install the ReadyShare USB printing app for Windows, and it too worked like a charm.

So the Orbi USB Brother HL3045 now works for both the Windows desktop and the Mac.

Hope this works for you.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7