Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Priority devices on AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity in response to COVID-19

socherl
Tutor

Priority devices on AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity in response to COVID-19

I have an AC1900 (model C7100V) that I use with Comcast Xfinity.  Given the switch to more telecommuting and remote learning with COVID-19 using Microsoft Teams and other tools for voice, video, and data collaboration, it would be great to prioritize this isosynchronous traffic over video streaming, gaming, and other traffic.  Any chance you could enable some sort of prioritized queuing for QoS.  Realize the TCP and UDP ports can be messy, so even a simple queuing algorithm to prioritized MAC addresses could go a long way without overcomplicating configuration.

Assuming you can add feature, would appreciate you also working with Comcast to push down updated microcode.  Thanks for your consideration.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Priority devices on AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity in response to COVID-19

This is where you'd want to post with suggestions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

also, netgear does update their combo devices but getting the ISP's to actually update them is a PITA. Reason why is it costs the ISP $ to certify them and they don't like to do it unless they have to. Its the reason combo devices tend to be behind on features and updates. its also why i usually push for buying the modem seperate from the router. 

Message 2 of 7
socherl
Tutor

Re: Priority devices on AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity in response to COVID-19

Thanks for feedback.  When I purchased the AC1900 I was trying to avoid additional devices/break points.  Had I realized Netgear and Comcast had so many challenges working together, I would have purchased the Arris T25 and separate WiFi gateway that could do QoS.  If I continue to have issues with the AC1900, may just write it off and purchase two devices anyway.  Current model with with Comcast Firmware Version V2.01.42 is really flaky.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

It might be your connection. 

do you have a screen snip of your modem connection back to the ISP?

If you have any splitter, attenuators, amplifiers in the coax line, remove them. 

Message 4 of 7
socherl
Tutor

Only splitter was replaced by Comcast when installing and they put in an amplifier.  Works fine most of the time with decent performance, but every three or four weeks CMTS and modem get out of sync and requires reboot (often multiple times) of the Nighthawk.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

amplifiers are great at causing issues. Either because they add to much power, filter out the upstream, or inject interference.

do you NEED the amplifier is the question. 

Take a screen snip of themodem connections page before and after the amplifier. 

Also, if you need the amplifier to boost for watching tv, put a single splitter where the coax enters the home. send one leg to the modem and the other to the ampifier and then feed the rest of the house off that one. If you can possible avoid it, you don't want the amplifier in line to the modem.  

Message 6 of 7
socherl
Tutor

Very good advice.  Not physically at house now but will look at positioning of amplifiers and splitters. Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7