Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question on CM1200 activation

donawalt
Virtuoso

Question on CM1200 activation

Hi all, I am going to be activating a CM1200 on a new service/new house. I went to the Xfinity web site and read the directions, it looks pretty easy.

One thing that confuses me - the instructions at that link basically say:

1. Launch XFinity app (like from my iPhone), log into your account
2. "Once the internet connection has been found", you will be prompted in the app to start activation.

This is probably a silly question, but since the modem hasn't been connected/powered on yet, and the modem doesn't even support WiFi directly, how is an internet connection found on the phone's app? I don't see any location services setting on my iPhone for the XFinity app, and I checked the XFinity app right now from another location and "Start activation" does not shown up for that account. So I don't think it geolocates, it doesn't get the info from the modem - will it just show up in the app on the day the service is to start (which is this Friday) automatically, since Xfinity knows your account need a modem activated that day or later?

Thanks for your help explaining how this works!

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Question on CM1200 activation

The phone has to be connected to the modem to use the app. 

So you can either connect a router to the modem or you could use a laptop/pc to connect to the modem and set it up. 

I usually use a pc/laptop as it tends to go faster/smoother. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The phone has to be connected to the modem to use the app. 

So you can either connect a router to the modem or you could use a laptop/pc to connect to the modem and set it up. 

I usually use a pc/laptop as it tends to go faster/smoother. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can also call xfinity and have them activate it  using the mac address. Rarely is this faster (xfinity's call system sucks) but its an option. 
I've even done it over chat before. I change modems a lot 🙂 

Message 3 of 5
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks for the help. You know what? I did activate it from my phone! And it was not connected to the modem!

1. I turned the modem on until the 'globe' was solid green.

2. I then downloaded a different XFinity app than the Xfinity Account app I have - in the picture I posted, it's the one on the left, with the house outline.

3. Once I downloaded it and logged in, it was ready to activate - it asked me to enter the MAC address, and it was activated in minutes!

I guess the app knows from my account/login that it's activation day, and no modem has been activated. The modem is online. So once I tell yhtme what modem it via MAC address, it sets it all up! Pretty cool from how it worked in years past.

IMG_4720.jpeg

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I had to swap out modems as well and you're right, you can do it from the app provided your phone has a cellular connection. 

Another method of install. Not sure which method I like better

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7