Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on which WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router plus Satellite/Extender to use Orbi AX4200 or AX6000

m_brando
Star

Question on which WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router plus Satellite/Extender to use Orbi AX4200 or AX6000

Hello Netgear community, I am not completely networking savy but I do ok setting up my home office.

I am moving to a new home, 4BR about 2700 sqft. I run my business out of my home. I currently have Xfinity service and will in the new place too. My current configuration is a AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C7800) down one end of the house with an extender.  I will leave this equipment here and eventually move it into an office.

My desktop computer supports up to 2.5Gbps and I would like to upgrade to WiFi 6 in the new home. I would prefer to continue with a Cable Modem Router combination. Xfinity currently gives me 1.2Gbps and am looking forward to an upgrade to 2Gbps. I would use a wired connection for the desktop to the modem for fastest speed and wireless throughout the house. We have a lot of wireless laptops and devices.

My question is I’m not sure which is best for me, the new AX6000 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX80) with a Satellite/Extender or the Orbi AX4200 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CBR750) and Satellite. Could you please offer your recommendation on equipment?  If the AX6000, what Satellite or Extender would I use? The Orbi seems like the most logical except for what I read is a 1Gbps max limit on the ethernet ports whereas the AX6000 has one 2.5Gbps port.

Thanks for the suggestions

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Question on which WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router plus Satellite/Extender to use Orbi AX4200 or AX6000

The CBK750 doesn't have a 2.5Gb LAN port and it's LAN ports are only rated at 1000Mpbs. The CAX80 has one 2.5Gb LAN port that can be used in either router mode or modem only mode. So you could connect your 2.5Gb supporting PC to the CAX80 at 2.5Gb speeds. a EAX80 would match up to the CAX80 to extend it's wifi signal. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CBK750 doesn't have a 2.5Gb LAN port and it's LAN ports are only rated at 1000Mpbs. The CAX80 has one 2.5Gb LAN port that can be used in either router mode or modem only mode. So you could connect your 2.5Gb supporting PC to the CAX80 at 2.5Gb speeds. a EAX80 would match up to the CAX80 to extend it's wifi signal. 

Message 2 of 4
m_brando
Star

Thank you for the information, that's awesome

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7