Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions about CAX80 Firmware 2.1.1.4 (Overnight Update)

tamanaco
Apprentice

Questions about CAX80 Firmware 2.1.1.4 (Overnight Update)

Last night at about 1:22AM my CAX80 running firmware 1.1.0.41 was updated to firmware 2.1.1.4. I have a few questions regarding this update.

1. Where can I find the release notes that describes exactly what's new, improved or fixed with this new release.
  2. Is there a place in the GUI to disable automatic (pushed) firmware updates. I run backups overnight and i would like some control as to when these firmware updates are applied.
  3. There's a new Security widget on the home page of the router, but clicking on it doesn't do anything.
  4. I get some unknown error messages and notices on the event log. What do they mean? (See Picture - I crossed out the MAC of my router)
  5. I read somewhere in the forum that the Router CAX80 reboots if it's unable to get a ISP (Cable) connection. Can this behavior be modified? What if I need to use the Router standalone without a Modem connection? I need LAN connectivity if my ISP service fails..

New firmware 2.1.1.4New firmware 2.1.1.4New Security WidgetNew Security WidgetFirmware Update Log Message (Small).jpgMessage in log about the updateMessage in log about the updateError and Notices in Event LogError and Notices in Event Log

Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON. Or Try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

Armor is a security feature added and is a pay subscription service. 

Please post about this in the Armor app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor

I've asked about the modem rebooted constantly when the ISP service is lost. NG can't seem to change this for unknown reasons. If you have constant outage with your ISP, I reocmmend that you return the CAX80 and find a CM series modem and then install a external wifi 6 router...

Message 2 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you with Cox or Charter Spectum ?

Message 3 of 24
tamanaco
Apprentice

(I thought I posted this reply this morning... maybe it was not approved ... anyway, here it goes again)

@FURRYe38 This new post has nothing to do with the frequent disconnect issues I had been experienced with a different CAX80 unit that Netgear replaced because it was defective. My wiring and signal levels are optimal for the CAX80 as per Netgear 2nd level support and an Spectrum technician that I had in house. I had both of these support technicians talk to each other during the troubleshooting process that lead to Netgear issuing an RMA for the defective unit. Since I've been using the replacement unit, I stopped having the frequent disconnect issues.

This post is mostly related to firmware 2.1.1.4 and the way (time) in which it was "pushed" into the new unit. At first, when my overnight backups failed, I thought I had experienced
either an ISP outage or that the replaced CAX80 had failed. To my surprise, the disconnect issue was due to a new firmware that was pushed by Netgear. The router was updated from 1.1.0.41 to 2.1.1.4. I had no control as to when or if I wanted this firmware update installed. While working from home I run daily overnight backups to my Synology NAS and to the Cloud. There are a lot of large files (images) that need to be backup and uploaded to my company's systems overnight. It's undertandable that backup to the cloud and uploads to system to the office will fail due to Internet outages. What's not acceptable, is also having the LAN systems (Local Backups) fail at the same time due to either an unscheduled firmware update pushed to the router or because an ISP connection failure that should "not" affect the LAN Router/Switch connectivity.

When I purchased this unit I "belived" this was the best that Netgear had to offer as it relates to Router-Modem combo. I still think it is. The firmware just needs to be refined
and the current automatic updates need to either be made "optional" or the users need to be given a time window as to when these updates are going to be pushed in order to avoid
unscheduled interruptions during critical times. (When scheduled tasks such as backups are scheduled). Also, having information about what is new/improved on the update is
useful to determine if these changes are going to cause issues with your existing setup. I also still would like to know what is the meaning of some of these messages that appear
on the Event Log so that I can take corrective action... if necessary.

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't push FW to users modems. It DOES come from ISPs only. Since you had a support ticket opened, NG may have asked the ISP and the ISP agreed to pushing the FW on your behalf during this time frame so after this, there shouldn't be any updates unless you open ticket if your seeing problems OR, NG later on ,updates the FW then hands it over to ISPs for there testing and certification before pusing it out to users modems. 

Something to ask NG about. Forums don't get much or any information nor do we have access to behind the scenes information.

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 24
tamanaco
Apprentice

@FURRYe38  I hear what you are saying... but wouldn't the ISP be responsible for the Cable Firmware Version (The Modem version)  which remained at version 1.02.08. The update to 2.1.1.4 appears to be related to the Router/Switch side of the the CAX80... not the Modem. Hence the addition of the paid Security service widget.

My 10 year old Netgear N900 router/switch has 3 options to update the firmware. You can set it to check and download + install the firmware automatically from a Netgear server (Pseudo-Push), you can disable this Auto option and "Check" for new firmware manually from the router then download + install it... or you could dowload the firmware to a computer from the Netgear support site and install it in the router using  the "Browse" button on the Router Update page. The CAX80 "appears" to have all these options except there's no way to disable the "automatic" option. 

Message 6 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

it is and can still be pushed by the ISP. Possible the NG could have pushed to you your modem. Not fully sure of they are going to push the router portion or let the ISP do it. Might ask the ISP if they know. I know for Orbi systems, NG pushes FW to those products. Other NG routers, they don't. 

One Orbi systems, there is no way to stop or disable auto FW updates from NG. So something maybe NG is doing since it's the router portion of the modem. 

Message 7 of 24
tamanaco
Apprentice

@FURRYe38  I will contact Netgear when I get a chance. I just don't have the time to wait on the phone to talk to the right person. I have already spent over 20 hours between Netgear and Spectrum support to get this Router-Modem working right. I just wish they gave users a heads up when firmware push is going to happen or give me the option to schedule it at my convenience. Below are the my two Netgear routers Update Pages for comparison. Maybe the Auto option will be available on a firmware release in the not too distant future.

CAX80 - No Auto optionCAX80 - No Auto optionN900 - With Auto optionN900 - With Auto option

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe used on older model routers, that thats a router. 

Is that a AUTO with ENABLE or DISABLE or is that the LANGUAGE auto detect? 

The CAX is new and mainly the first gateway modem that NG seems to have more control over with the router portion. So something you can discuss with NG support. Forums can't help in this area.

If you really want more control, then I would return the CAX80 and get into a stand alone modem then install a WiFi 6 class router that you will have more controll over the FW with. 

Message 9 of 24
dadabunchie
Aspirant

@tamanaco wrote:

Last night at about 1:22AM my CAX80 running firmware 1.1.0.41 was updated to firmware 2.1.1.4. I have a few questions regarding this update.

1. Where can I find the release notes that describes exactly what's new, improved or fixed with this new release.
  2. Is there a place in the GUI to disable automatic (pushed) firmware updates. I run backups overnight and i would like some control as to when these firmware updates are applied.
  3. There's a new Security widget on the home page of the router, but clicking on it doesn't do anything.
  4. I get some unknown error messages and notices on the event log. What do they mean? (See Picture - I crossed out the MAC of my router)
  5. I read somewhere in the forum that the Router CAX80 reboots if it's unable to get a ISP (Cable) connection. Can this behavior be modified? What if I need to use the Router standalone without a Modem connection? I need LAN connectivity if my ISP service fails..

New firmware 2.1.1.4New firmware 2.1.1.4New Security WidgetNew Security WidgetFirmware Update Log Message (Small).jpgMessage in log about the updateMessage in log about the updateError and Notices in Event LogError and Notices in Event Log

My CAX80 rebooted last night also on Spectrum but saw no discernible changes.  I'm still on original FW.  It would be nice if NG posted release notes so that we could see if anything was fixed.  Haven't had any issues so far.  

my 2 cents

Message 10 of 24
Lurksalot
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make you aware my router FW portion of CAX80 was updated overnight to version 2.1.1.4.  My ISP is Cox San Diego.

I have not had a chance to look things over. However I was one of those who had an opportunity to get the beta version which was a minor version less this the one being pushed out. At the time the beta version had resolved a number of issues users listed here on the forums, including those I experienced, so I am sure this pushed out version will resolve a number of your problems.

Thanks.

Model: Dual Band
Message 11 of 24
dadabunchie
Aspirant

I now have this new FW through an overnight update about 2 weeks ago.  Crossing Fingers that it will be more reliable.  It has been stable since Oct so no complaints thus far. Spectrum is my provider. Going to make backups regularly of the Config just to be sure.

my 2 cents

@Lurksalot wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make you aware my router FW portion of CAX80 was updated overnight to version 2.1.1.4.  My ISP is Cox San Diego.

I have not had a chance to look things over. However I was one of those who had an opportunity to get the beta version which was a minor version less this the one being pushed out. At the time the beta version had resolved a number of issues users listed here on the forums, including those I experienced, so I am sure this pushed out version will resolve a number of your problems.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 24
tamanaco
Apprentice

For me version 2.1.1.4 has been more stable than 1.1.0.41 as it relates to connectivity, but still has some bugs. Once in a while the attached devices loose the descriptions that I have added and after a while I have to clear the Log so that it can capture events, otherwise I get a bunch of zeros. (See screenshot). I also still get the errors and notices that in the Event Log that I mentioned in the first post.

Log Full of Zeros.jpg

Message 13 of 24
VerityNH
Aspirant

This firmware disables an option to turn off IPv6

this option was available in the previous firmware

Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you post a screen shot of the IPv6 page from the modem? 

Has a factory reset been performed since last FW update and setup from scratch? 

@VerityNH wrote:

This firmware disables an option to turn off IPv6

this option was available in the previous firmware

Message 15 of 24
VerityNH
Aspirant

i1WSxK8oT3OmNgc-rhSJaw

Yes, I did a hard reset and set it up from scratch

Message 16 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So this happens in all browsers? If I can get some time, I'll check mine. I thought there was a menu option. 

Message 17 of 24
VerityNH
Aspirant

Yes, that happens in all browsers. So I was kinda lucky to have ability to return it back to store, got a separate CM1200 modem and RX120 router instead and got all my network working nice and as I want it to

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Enjoy. 

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I checked my CAX80 and i see the menu option to enable IPv6 or choose a IPv6 mode isn't present on mine as well. I'll try and get this to NG for review. 

@VerityNH wrote:

Yes, that happens in all browsers. So I was kinda lucky to have ability to return it back to store, got a separate CM1200 modem and RX120 router instead and got all my network working nice and as I want it to

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So I got some info from NG. There isn't a menu item to enable or disable IPv6 apparently. The modem seems to auto detect if your ISP natively supports IPv6. If not, then IPv6 settings are grayed out. There is nothing to change this. Which is why I saw that I could not configure anything on the IPv6 screen at all due to my ISP doesn't support it natively. So for those of you who have ISPs that do natively support IPv6, the CAX80 menu will be enabled. For users who want to disable IPv6 protocols, you'll need to disabling on your adapters networking properties: @VerityNH 

AdapterNetworkingPropertiesIPv6.png

Message 21 of 24
VerityNH
Aspirant

Thanks, but that is something I don't want the router to decide by it's own. Anyway, returned it back to store

Message 22 of 24
jesmith602
Apprentice

Here are the very thin release notes for whoever was asking: CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.1.4 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Good Luck. 

@VerityNH wrote:

Thanks, but that is something I don't want the router to decide by it's own. Anyway, returned it back to store

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7