Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300v2 Providing Wireless but Not Ethernet Connectivity

Sunhawk
Aspirant

R6300v2 Providing Wireless but Not Ethernet Connectivity

First, I have avery vague grasp of how computers interact with the internet and am amazed by people who understand it better than myself.  I'm hoping that some of might understand what I'm seeing abe able to provide guidance.

Yesterday my ISP had an outage in our area.  When we became aware that service was restored, I rebooted the modem and then the router to make sure that everything was refreshed.  I was more than a little surprised to find that we have wireless access to the internet but none of my devices that use the ethernet connection can access the internet.

When I run ipconfig /all on any of the machines using wireless, I find that the entries for DNS Servers, Default Gateway, and DHCP Server all have a value of 192.168.1.1.

In the Ethernet Local Area Connection section the Default Gateway is blank and DNS Servers are listed as fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1, and fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1.

The DHCPv6 Client DVID has the same value as in the Wireless section.

The Link Local IPv6 Address in the Ethernet section is  fe80::ed4e:f4c0:b9e4:b8d6%11 (Preferred).

I logged into routerlogin.net and I see that a firmware update is available.

When I click on the Internet box(whichis indicated as Good), the Get Dynamically from ISP button under Internet IP Address is checked and all three addresses are populated (values can be provided if that will help).  The Get Dynamically from ISP button under DNS Address is checked and the first value is 0.0.0.0 and the second is blank.  I think this is the core of my problem but I do not know how to resolve it.

Will pressing the reset likely resolve this issue?  Hopefully there is something that can be done short of this option that can fix this issue. 

Any help will be most appreciated.  If further information in needed, just ask.  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Re: R6300v2 Providing Wireless but Not Ethernet Connectivity

It certainly does sound like that the router failed to obtain the addresses for the ISP's DNS server(s).  Rebooting the router may fix this.  If you still have no luck, you can manually enter the addresses yourself.  You can either use the ISP's addresses (you may have to Google them), or you can use other servers.  Google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4 and 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 for IPv6.

Message 2 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

I googled Comcast DNS servers and found that the nearest ones are in my hometown (68.87.77.134, 68.87.72.134).  I logged into routerlogin.net and entered them in the Inter Setup section, DNS Address after clicking the Use These DNS Servers radio button.  I then clicked the Apply button.

I then went to the computer I'm testing this on and got into the Ethernet Properties and did the same thing in the properties for TCP/IPv4.  whatsmydns.net lists 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 as the primary DNS addresses for Comcast for IPv4.  As I'm still not having any success, I'll be trying them next.  From the same website I got the IP 2001:558:feed::1 .  This seems to be a strange value so I didn't use it.  If still unsuccessful, I'll try this value.  Currently I've entered the Google IPv6 value you provided.

Does the router need to rebooted after making these changes or does the Apply button implement them immediately?  I rebooted my test computer after making the changes to make sure they were refreshed.

When I click on the Network options in the lower right end of the tray, I'm still getting my functional wireless networks identified properly but the ethernet connection is identified as "Unidentified network, no internet access".

Message 3 of 13
TheEther
Guru

You should pick one option to configure DNS server addresses.  Either configure them in the router or in all of your devices.  If you configure them in your devices, then the settings in the router will be ignored.

If I were you, I would not use 68.87.77.134 and 68.87.72.134.  If you want to use Comcast's DNS servers, stick with 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 .  These are Anycast IP addresses, which means that DNS requests sent to these addresses will be automatically be forwarded by Comcast to the best DNS server inside their network.  2001:558:feed::1 is Comcast's IPv6 Anycast address for DNS.  2001:558:feed::2 is the other one.

You might want to consider disabling IPv6 temporarily in case it's the root of your problems.

I believe the router should apply changes to DNS settings immediately, but it wouldn't hurt to reboot just to be sure.

You should try doing some ping tests from your wired devices to localize the problem.  Start by pinging your router's IP address.  Then, try google.com or comcast.com.  Also ping 75.75.75.75 and 8.8.8.8.  This will inform you as to whether you have an IP or a DNS problem.

Message 4 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

Got a question that might seem silly to you.  How do I disable IPv6?  Just uncheck the box in Ethernet properties?

Pinging my router was fine (0% loss).  Pinging 75.75.75.75 and 8.8.8.8 were the same, as was pinging www.google.com.  However, pinging www.comcast.com was a complete failure (100% loss).

Message 5 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

I also changed the computer's IPv4 properties to find DNS automatically and changed the setting on my router to use 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76.  When I clicked on apply, my computer reported an error and rebooted (happened faster than I could read the message).  After rebooting, I cannot access routerlogin.net from my test computer or my wife's laptop.  I vaguely remember that the internal address for the router is a standard value but I do not know what that is.

Also, after the reboot, my extended wireless is not accessing the internet but the main wireless from the router is(just one fewer bars).  Needless to say, I switched to using the main wireless network option.

Is it possible that this router is giving up the ghost?  I've only had it 2-3 years.

Message 6 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Your computer rebooted after changing the DNS addresses on the router?  That's odd.

Anyway, router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1.  Run ipconfig /all on the computer to check that it has an IP address.  If it's 169.254.x.x, then that means it failed to obtain an IP address from the router.

You didn't mention previously that you have an extender.  Your priority should be to get things working with your router first.  Then add the extender later.

Message 7 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

There's been lots of odd going around, at least from my POV.

I tried entering 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of my browser and I'm still getting an Unable To Connect message, same as if I enter routerlogin.net.

When I run ipconfig /all , in the Ethernet Adapter section the values are as follows:

Link-local IPv6 Address                  :  fe80::89ad:6253:50bd:e000%2(Preferred)

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address     :  169.254.224.0(Preferred).

Subnet Mask                                  :  255.255.0.0

Default Gateway

DHCPv6 IAID                                  :  56885354

DHCPv6 Client DUID                      :  00-01-00-01-1D-F0-1D-C6-64-00-6A-1A-EB-C0

DNS Servers                                  :  2001:558:feed::1

2001:558:feed::2

In the Wireless LAN Adapter section the values are as follows:

Link-local IPv6 Address                  :  fe80::d51c:6f6f:1e0f:37df%12(Preferred)

IPv4 Address                                  :  192.168.1.9(Preferred).

Subnet Mask                                  :  255.255.0.0

Default Gateway                             :  192.168.1.1

DHCP Server                                  :  192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID                                  :  145801360

DHCPv6 Client DUID                      :  00-01-00-01-1D-F0-1D-C6-64-00-6A-1A-EB-C0

DNS Servers                                  :  192.168.1.1

I've turned off the extender for the time being.  It didn't click that it might be muddying the waters.

Message 8 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Are you running any antivirus software?  Some of them, particularly Kaspersky, are well known to block logins to the router.  The only known solution is to completely uninstall Kaspersky, log into the router, then reinstall.

Message 9 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

I'm running Norton and haven't had any issues prior to this instance.  I didn't access the router often but didn't have issues.

Message 10 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that Windows is treating the network as a public network.  Try changing the settings to treat it as a private network.  On Windows 10, I believe all that is necessary is to enable Network Discovery.  Google instructions on how to enable it.

Message 11 of 13
Sunhawk
Aspirant

I enabled Network Discovery and instantly was able to get back into routerlogin.net.

Still in the same boat as I started in, wireless access but no ethernet.

I'm really hoping to not have to go down this road but, is there any liklihood that resetting to factory seetings might resolve this issue.  I realize that I would then need to go through the whole setup procedure again.  I also picked up an insurance policy this afternoon in case this proves to be a router going bad - Netgear AC1600.  I'm hoping to be able to return it but just in case...

Message 12 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Well, I think a factory reset wouldn't hurt other than the inconvenience.  If you have a spare Ethernet cable, then you might try it in case the one you are using is bad.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7