Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random Ping Spikes in Online Games (Ethernet Connection)

Edithonus
Follower

Random Ping Spikes in Online Games (Ethernet Connection)

Hello

I purchased the AC1750 (C6300) modem-router combo about a week and a half ago. The installation was seemless, all I wanted to do was cut the $10 lease fee that Time Warner Cable was charging me for using theirs.

I got everything set up and obtain connection from my computer through ethernet. I did a speed test and it was perfect, pages loading quick, everything was fine.

I then began having problems. Quite frequently in online games I would get random ping spikes. I would go from my normal 30-60ish to 150 to 250 to 350 to 400 and this could last anywhere from 1-3 minutes then it'll slowly drop back down to normal. I don't lose connection or get kicked from the game I'm currently in, I just get horrific lag spikes out of nowhere.

Another issue (that has only happened a few times) is sometimes my connection will completely drop. I'll look over at the router and all the lights are out then will start coming back on, like it's rebooting itself. It once rebooted 4 times before it actually got a connection and let me get back on before.

I called Time Warner Cable tier 3 support and they did their tests and said that the signals look completely fine and it shouldn't be anything on their end (I also have this modem plugged into the same spot my old TWC one was so I know the jack is good).

I then called Netgear support and was told to do a complete factory reset of the device (which we did) and he then directed me to change the fragmentation length / CTS/RTS threshold (Wireless Settings) + the MTU Size (WAN setup). He further stated that he made changes on his end to the device.

I've done a ping test via CMD on my computer and it says there is a 0% pocket loss. This happens to multiple games, not just one. I've tried disabling my firewall, disabling antivirus, port forwarding, unplugging the modem + coaxial cable from the wall, really everything I can think of. I'm at a loss really. The product is still within return / exchange date.

The only thing that pops up in the routers logs is multiple dropped packets around the time of the spikes. I don't understand how that could be though due to having 0% packet loss when testing, TWC saying all signals are fine, and me being hardwired to router.

[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT: count 12 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:22:08

[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT: count 26 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:22:59

[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT: count 18 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:24:18
[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT: count 19 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:26:03

[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT:  count 44 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:28:36

[DoS attack] AIF: Dropped INPUT packet: PROTO:ICMPv6 SPT: DPT: count 10 Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 19:29:06

If anyone has any input on why this might be happening and/or how I could resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Also, with my return / exchange period ending on the 29th of this month, should I just exchange it for a new one, could that even make a difference?

Thank you very much!

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Random Ping Spikes in Online Games (Ethernet Connection)

Hello Edithonus 

Yea you could return it to get a new one to see if its a issue with the router itself but those DOS attacks could be the issue. Do you game stream and someone is just DOS attacking you to make you mad? 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7