Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear 5G is not being displayed

jtr02a
Novice

This is not a "simple configuration issue", it is either a Firmware/Software Issue or a Hardware Failure Issue.

The first NETGEAR C6300 I purchased and hooked up to my 100Mbps/5Mbps Time Warner Cable worked with both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz with no issue for a short period of time (days), then the 5GHz SSID ceased to broadcast. At first, I thought maybe there was a physical button on the device that had been pushed (as all the GUI settings were clearly correct), but finally got frustrated and returned the product to BestBuy and purchase another two (2) as I needed one for my office Internet Connection as well. Both broadcast the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz SSIDs with no issue on either until one day, a few weeks later, the 5GHz SSID ceases to broadcast on the C6300 I am using at home. The modem/router has been untouched aside from being rebooted when the internet wasn't working properly, after which is started broadcasting a 2.4GHz Guest Networks that had been configured but disabled and stopped broadcasting the 5GHz network.

When I checked settings, it showed that all four (4) SSID's/Networks enabled (two "normal" SSID's, one for 2.4GHz and the other for 5GHz and the two "guest" SSID's, one for each band). I tried any number of changes in broadcasting settings only to no avail. Nothing resolved the issue. De Ja Vu. At this point, I am convinced it is hardware or firmware/software related, NOT a configuration issue.

This is VERY frustrating. Hopefully they release a Firmware Update soon that fixes this non-sense.
Message 1 of 18
tdpham04
Aspirant

Hi,

I am equally VERY FRUSTRATED with Netgear C6300. There is another cheaper version of cable wifi router N600, but salesman from Frys convinced me to purchase C6300 (AC1750), because I have multiple devices, and iphone (5G capabilities), and 2-story house (distance), etc...All that sound good, the product looks very good too.

Bought 1st one on 7/4/2015, and activated with Comcast (Xfinity) on 7/11. The unit at first power up, without Comcast activation yet, the 5GB light comes on. But after activation with Comcast, Comcast said wait 15 mins, it will load latest updates. After several minutes, updates completed. Unit is working at 2.4G only, the 5G light did not come up. Then I called Netgear, after hrs on the phone, they had me do whole bunch of stuffs, including "ERASE", which is the reload factory settings.

After doing this, the 5G LED comes on, 5G was working. Few days later, I re-arrange my router area, which included powered off the c6300. After power it backup, then WHAT ??? the 5G light is OFF again. So, I repeated the "ERASE" operation, but no luck this time, I did other stuffs such as in the Internet section, there is "Reset to factory"  (or somethign like that), I also hard-reset, using a paper clip, pushed down for 10 secs, I also did unchecked 5G, then checked it, and apply changes. A million things, anything to do with resetting back to original setting, the 5G was never able to light up again, at all. After calling talking several with Netgear, I returned unit back to Frys. And got the same c6300 model, but brand-new. Thinking something happened to the 1st unit.

Then 2nd unit got home, I powered it up, with Comcast cable connected. I know I had to re-activate the new S/N of this device. Thus I called Comcast, had me on music for 30 mins. All this time the 5G light was ON green. So I thinking, ok, may be 1st unit was really defective. After I enterred my Comcast acct & phone number, it re-actiavted my account with the new S/N. And once again, it prompted for waitin 15 for applying updates...Guess what ??? after the update from Comcast, the 5G light went OFF again !!!! I repeated verything I could, the 5G light could never lid up. Called Comcast, the lady told my Comcast only sent the command to set the speed of my internet to 25Mb for my purchase rate, and nothing else. I really doubted that. Comcast must have sent something, such as the version of Internet Hardware, or newer firmware to the modem, causing my 5G light to not function anymore. Unfortunately, I did not "backup the setting / config" prior to calling Comcast, so I don't have the original config to reload back to the modem. And the erase seemed it didn't quite reload as I though it wwould.

Now I am stuck, already 2nd brand new C6300, and no 5G light. I was so upset, that I could sleep last night, thinking of strategy how to deal with it. Neither Netgear nor Comcast can provide any good explaination, and cannot fix the problem.

I am hoping if there is ANYONE out there has similar issue, and got it resolved, please let me know. Other wise, I planned to return C6300, and may be buy N600 a lower model (cheaper), and of may be a different brand totally. Reason I want Netgear, becasue I wanted to use the READYSHARE USB drive feature....

Thanks

Message 2 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jtr02a & @tdpham04,

We apologize for the incovenience this has caused you. Kindly PM me the following information:

Location of purchase:

Firmware version:

ISP:

Serial#:

Also, please include a copy of your configuration file and screenshots of your logs and event logs.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 18
nkoz
Aspirant

I'm having the same ptroblem.  Started about two weeks ago now.  I can't even get to my channels to change them.   Is Netgear and Comcast having a tiff?

Message 4 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @nkoz,

Kindly pm me the same info as well.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 18
akasanders
Initiate

I'm having the same issue with my c6300 as well. I've got xfinity Blast. The 5g channel just seems to turn itself off. It normally comes back on after performing a power cycle or a reset... Couldn't tell you how long the 5g stays in, maybe a day or two then it's just off and I find out because my Smart TV doesn't connect to web. 

Pretty dissapointed to to have to constantly reboot a $230 cable modem 2-3 times a week. 

Would be be great if Netgear posted some answers or resolve the issue with a patch.  I'm guessing the only option is to send it out for warranty repair at a cost to me and plug in the Comcast router in for a month while this thing gets repaired. 

Should have got an Asus?

Message 6 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @akasanders,

Please pm me the following information that I have asked from the previous post.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 18
KBrickster
Aspirant

I too am having issues with my N600 (c3700) cable modem / router.  the 5ghz light no longer goes on.  I log into the router and there is no choice for me to choose 5ghz from the wireless setup menu.  I have reset the router using the reset button and I have powered down.

I moved the unit however I have moved it previously with no issues.  I understand that TimeWarner cable controls pushing the firmware updates and I do not know it is was recently updated.  the current firmware is 1.01.11

I have ordered a replacement from Amazon but I am not confident it will work as I have done nothing to this unit for it to stop working.

Message 8 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kbrickster 

Have you tried to log into the modem using a different web browser to see if the settings are still missing? also have you tried to do a factory reset?

DarrenM

Message 9 of 18
nkoz
Aspirant

Hello DarrenM,

Nothing changed with different browser.  Did the reset and now I have 5G; however, the 5G light on the modem now blinks green whereas the othe lights are solid green. Guess I'll wait until the 5G quits and not wory about the non-solid indicator.

Nick

Message 10 of 18
drewster67
Aspirant

Netgear 5G LED is not being displayed and channel is broadcasting on 2G instead

C6300 V2.01.14

5Ghz LED not lit even though 5Ghz channel is enabled and ssid is enabled.  I noticed with a wireless app that it is actually broadcasting on the 2GHz channel just like the other one, because the channel is eithe 1 or 6 instead of the expected channel 36!  very weird.  I have anothe wifi-bridge thta has 5Ghz just fine and my devices can connect to it.

I don't see any firemware upgrade option for this C6300 and I am using Comcast.

HELP!  I need 5g!

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 11 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear 5G LED is not being displayed and channel is broadcasting on 2G instead

Hello drewster67

You have no option to update the firmware because all firmware is pushed from your ISP to the modem they release it. So you may want and try and factory reset the modem see if that will get the 5ghz working if not you may want to contact comcast support and have them try to send signals and reboot the modem could be a something in there config.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 18
NotEnjoyingThis
Aspirant

Super easy set up. 5GHz worked well from purchase in November until the 5GHz seemed to degrade and then failed Saturday night.  Powered down/up and got it back.

Yesterday, got bumped off wifi because 5GHZ had failed.  Restarted router & it had switched to 2.4GHz, no 5GHz light available.

I tried all of the below, based on other forum notes of the same failure.  It took several tries and combinations of these actions and managed to restore the 5GHz.

- toggled/held off/on button

- pressed reset button

- toggled/held wifi button

- power cord unplug/replug

- logged on to router admin and checked and changed channels for 2.4&5GHz from Auto to fixed low-usage channels and then applied changes; then switched back again to Auto and applied changes

- Selected/unselected/selected Enable SSID Broadcast and applied changes

It worked for about 12 hours, and then at some point overnight failed/turned off again.  It's extremely frustrating.  What else can I do? 

It's like the 5G had a 6 month timer in it that expired exactly at 6 months.

Purchased November 2015

C6300/AC1750

Firmware Version  V2.01.14

ISP Time Warner

Message 13 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello NotenjoyingThis

I do know that TWC is pushing the latest firmware for the 6300 in the first week of June you may want to see if that will resolve the issue but if not I would contact Netgear support if you are still under warranty.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 18
jmccartha
Aspirant

Hello,

I am having the same issue with my C6300. It purchased it a year ago, and the 5ghz was working fine up until a few weeks ago. The 5ghz light is no longer on, and the SSID is not appearing on my devices. I logged into the router settings and it shows that the 5ghz is enabled. I have tried resetting the router mutliple times and have not seen any changes. Please help.

Purchased June 2015

C6300/AC1750

Firmware Version  V2.01.14

ISP Time Warner

Message 15 of 18
NotEnjoyingThis
Aspirant

Yep, that's exactly the same problem.

DarrenM told me that TWC was pushing out new firmware at the beginning of June, and when I powered up the router on 6/7, the 5 GHz broadcasting issue was gone.  I've had no issues since then, so hopefully it's a permanent fix.

Call TWC, and if TWC says they've updated firmware in your service area but you're still having 5 GHz broadcast issues, start a case at https://my.netgear.com/registration/login.aspx

If you purchased via Amazon, send an email to amazon@netgear.com (That's what I had done before the magical mystery fix.)

Pro tips: 

Check your spam folder so the case doesn't auto-close before you even know it's open.

Keep an eye out for a call from a 408 area code, because the # they send in the email is a non-working number. (Brilliant move, NetGear!)

Message 16 of 18
crs77
Aspirant

Hi,

Just wondering if your issue with your router C6300 was ever resolved?   My router's 5ghz is no longer broadcasting and I cannot login to the router settings: routerlogin.net. says " You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

I've been experiencing this problem recently. I cannot get support since I'm out of warranty. Just wondering how you resolved your problem

I noticed you have Firmware Version  V2.01.14. I still have v1.02.20 because I can't seem to locate V2 on the netgear website as a download.

Message 17 of 18
NotEnjoyingThis
Aspirant

Yes!  It kept failing, so I gave up on 5G until TWC pushed the new firmware and it worked itself out with no help from me.

I don't think it's possible to download your own firmware. If you still don't have V2.01.14 for your C6300s, you'll need to call your provider.  Here's the drill: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod...

Did you see this thread? May not be related or helpful, but someone had similar issues from some Windows 10 auto-update bloatware https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/C6300-Firmware-Update-to-V2-01-14-Timing-and-C...

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7